Banana 'Ice Cream' Question...

Options
shartran
shartran Posts: 304 Member
Hi

I have yet to make 'ice cream' out of frozen bananas and need to know if one can blend up the frozen bananas, scoop into balls and freeze to use for another day.

Does the 'ice cream' turn brown and gross? Would a squeeze of lemon work?
Also, I would also like to try making 'ice cream' out of avocado...would it also turn brown/mushy (in freezer) if not
consumed right away??

Thanks anyone

Replies

• kari31p
    kari31p Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've never made the ice cream but I dice up bananas, freeze them and the next day I blend them up with some milk for a banana "smoothie"..they don't turn brown.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a mistake, for either the banana or the avocado. It pretty much has to be made fresh and either eaten right away or put back in the freezer for no more than 30 minutes or so.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've had frozen bananas in my freezer for months. They are still yellow, pretty, and ready to blend. Haven't tried refreezing them before, but I think it would probably be fine.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I make banana "ice cream" all the time (using the Yonanas machine now....much easier and less time consuming) and keep it in my freezer for extended periods of time...I even take it out....allow it to partially defrost to make it easier to scoop as it gets pretty solid completely frozen, and then put it back in the freezer and it has not once turned brown (except of course the ones that I add chocolate to :laugh: )

I've never tried avocado so I can't comment on that though.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    when I make ice cream its never around long enough to turn brown unless its chocolate or coffee or earl grey tea flavored then of course its already brown.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    When I buy bananas, I peel and freeze them right away. I prefer to eat my bananas frozen. Plus, I don't eat them often so they go bad before I use them if I don't freeze them. The most recent ones I put in the freezer (3-4 weeks ago) are still yellow and taste delicious. I don't think you would have an issue re-freezing banana ice cream. I'm not sure about avocado ice cream because I have no experience with freezing avocados.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I always freeze bananas if I cant eat them fast enough. they are a great addition to my protein shakes and I make ice cream with them. I'm sure they would be perfectly fine to refreeze. I'm sure freezing and avocado would stop the browning process just like bananas but i'm not sure.
  • jobean12
    jobean12 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Can someone share a simple, good, fairly low fat/carb protein shake recipe?
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Over time frozen bananas will very slowly turn color. Freezing slows the oxidation process way down, but doesn't eliminate it. Same with avocados. Have never tried refreezing a previously frozen banana or avocado, so not sure.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    this avocado ice cream has me thinking