Understanding the science of Exercise

Options
i would just like to ask a question, as someone made a comment to me the other day, which hit a nerve to be far, i am never going to be thin, many moons ago, i rode race horses and was race fit, but that was way way back, but after children, injuries etc etc i gained weight, i have always struggled to get it back off, but i would like to say that i am trying, to put you in the picture of where i am now, and not bore you with my life story.

i am 47 years old, my back is fused at the base, first section, i three more discs that have gone just above the fusion, which will need to be added as and when pain returns, i suffer from ankle joint pains, i have had numerous knee operations, so i am limited to what type of exercise i can so.

I bike to work which takes me 10 mins, back at lunch time and back to work and then home, (40 mins) in total, moderate speed, 5 days a week.

i walk the dogs twice a day 15 mins at a time.

i practice with the band twice a week, for 2/3 hours at at time, i am the drummer.

i also practice at least 30 mins on the days that i'm not at practice.

someone told me that all this exercise that i am doing is a total waste of time, (no disrespect intended) ????? because the more slow release exercise you do the more your body converts into fat!

i cannot do any high cardiac work, because it will upset my back, and to be honest as long as i'm doing some kind of exercise surely thats ok??????????

please help

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Only way your body anc produce fat is by eating too much.

If you are eating at a deficit- you don't need to do any exercises for weight loss.

Exercise is for over all fitness.

Sounds like you are doing just fine in the exercise department
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    someone told me that all this exercise that i am doing is a total waste of time, (no disrespect intended) ????? because the more slow release exercise you do the more your body converts into fat!

Loooooool.

Who told you that crap?
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    that someone is an idiot. anything that gets you out and moving without causing pain is good

why cant you be thin? all it takes to lose weight is a calorie deficit, if thin is what you're after its achievable, it just takes time
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    we all like to give ourselves excuses for weight gain.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Your level of exercise / activity isn't bad considering your back issues. The person that said that is ridiculously misinformed. If you're concerned about your weight then an adjustment to your daily / weekly nutrition is likely required.