Running in the Heat

Options
For those people who have been experiencing a lot of heat with the weather recently; how do you still go running? Where I am it has been pushing 27 degrees and it is so warm I feel like passing out even with walking. I know I could run in the morning but I start work at 7:00am and then when I come home I often need early night to catch up on my sleep. I am finding it hard to stick to running three times a week because I can just never seem to fit it in.

Replies

• rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I go running right when i get home from work, which is usually around 3:30 in the afternoon. It is usually quite hot at that time (100 F), and the sun is strong.

In order to do so, you absolutely have to be well hydrated. Make sure you drink a lot of water. I drink double the recommendation. Also, i try to find some shady areas to run in, such as a trail with some trees on the edges. That way i am not always being beat on by the sun.

Another trick i have learned is that it actually helps to wear a little bit more clothing. You may be tempted to wear as little as possible, but if you wear a shirt that covers up a little more skin, but is still lightweight and breathes fairly well, then the sun won't beat on you quite as hard either.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time running in the heat too. It cuts the time I can spend running in half and I end up walking the rest. These days, it's about 85 - 95 F (29 - 35 C) when I get home. I've been waiting until 7:30 to 8 pm to run instead of running when I get home. By then it's usually in the 70's (22 - 26 C) and I have a much easier time running.

I would suggest either going early morning before it gets hot, or later at night after it cools down some. However, my husband (who has been running a lot longer than I have) says that running in the heat gets easier over time.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Just slow down. I dropped from a 12:00 min forever pace, to around a 13:00. Sometimes I feel like I'm crawling, but if I go much faster I wear down too quickly to get my miles in.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer running in the heat vs. the cold. Hydration is key.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I ride my bike...I would think 27*C would be quite comfortable...just about perfect in fact. During the summer months it's around 37-38* C (100*F) when I ride. I make sure I'm well hydrated before, during, and after. I also tend to go at a bit slower pace. When you train in it, you get used to it.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Running in heat does get easier over time, and you'll find it helps when it's more comfortable. Just slow down and carry a bottle of water with you.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I run around 6AM. Enough light to be able to see (and maybe not get mugged) and still fairly cool. If I get out there and it's warm AND humid? I may or may not run as well. Humidity impedes my speed more than the heat does because it's more difficult to breathe. I take walking breaks as needed and do drink lots of water. Wear minimal clothing and try to stay in the shade.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I live in DC - where it's regularly around 37-38 C in the summer. I run first thing in the morning (around 6:30). It's my favorite part of the summer day. If I have to do doubles, I run around dusk - before it's actually dark, but after the heat of 3-4pm.

And for long runs... well, I get started early and rehydrate with lots of electrolytes.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Definitely drink a lot of water. I also wear a buff (a type of bandana) that I've wet with cold water before hand.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well, living in Florida helps because you get used to it (and everywhere is air conditioned, so it's easy to cool down after).

Staying hydrated is key, but I think if you're in an area that isn't used to the heat it's more difficult.

Also, I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at 80 degrees F being THAT hot. I grew up in New York and even there, 80 wasn't that hot.
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Where I live, this week it's been in the 80s so it's cooled off, but in prior weeks, it was in the 90s and, ugh, it's been REALLY humid. I work at home so I usually can get out around 9 a.m. and it's not too bad. Last night, I ran at 7:30 and it was still nasty humid so it wasn't pleasant at all.

If I didn't have little kids that wake if they hear anyone moving around, I'd get up early and run before I need to get them ready. I ran once in a while last summer at 6 a.m. and it was delightful.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I sort of enjoy it more. I dunno something about all that sweat makes me feel like I'm really getting a good workout and losing all that water weight I guess :) I try to time my workouts before work (8am-ish) or around 6pm... so it's not too bad... but when I run on the weekends its usually around 11am and well into the 80's. I have a dydration belt that I always take and dress cool. I also have very good breathable sneakers so my feet don't get sweaty.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hydration is key, and that's for all day. Not just while you run. Hydrate throughout the day. Drink lots of water. Drink before you are thirsty. I ran 2 miles in 20 minutes and biked 20 miles in under an hour yesterday and went through 192oz of water (it was 101 degrees)

That being said, 27 degrees celsius is like 82 degrees fahrenheit. That's not heat. :)
  • Joshuam2107
    Options
    But the sweat so good though.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Hydration is key, and that's for all day. Not just while you run. Hydrate throughout the day. Drink lots of water. Drink before you are thirsty. I ran 2 miles in 20 minutes and biked 20 miles in under an hour yesterday and went through 192oz of water (it was 101 degrees)

That being said, 27 degrees celsius is like 82 degrees fahrenheit. That's not heat. :)
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I'm not sure where the OP is at, but speaking from experience, Hubby and I live in central Alberta where it is honestly -20 to -30C for 9 months of the year. It starts snowing in October and doesn't stop until June 1st. (even in July sometimes) So in the summer when it gets up to 27-30 ish, it's HOT! I consider it shorts weather at 15C.

So I feel you OP, We've been going really late at night when it cools off.
  • Joshuam2107
    Options
    High of 90 with 67% humidity and today is cardio day, get at me, OP!
  • rml_16
    Options

I'm not sure where the OP is at, but speaking from experience, Hubby and I live in central Alberta where it is honestly -20 to -30C for 9 months of the year. It starts snowing in October and doesn't stop until June 1st. (even in July sometimes) So in the summer when it gets up to 27-30 ish, it's HOT! I consider it shorts weather at 15C.

So I feel you OP, We've been going really late at night when it cools off.
    I lived in Buffalo for many, many years. I understand long winters and not being used to heat in the summer. But 80 degrees still isn't THAT hot, even by those standards. And I have worn shorts when it was 60 for the same reasons.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    www.runnersworld.com/hot-weather-running

/thread
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike. I like in Mesa, AZ so it is definitely HOT! I started off with early mornings or nighttime rides but eventually I conditioned myself to the heat. Yesterday I was biking in 112 temps. I was with my wife and she couldn't take it (near heat stroke) but she is used to the air conditioned gym. So yeah, I think it is all about conditioning.