Weight fluctuations

Options
Is it normal to loose 3 pounds in 4 days? I'm not sure what it is.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    unless you literally ate nothing for those 4 days, its a loss in water weight/food waste
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

yes, probably.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 Lbs overnight from Monday - Tuesday and then gained a Lb from yesterday to today. Natural body weigth fluctuations can be anywhere from 1-5 Lbs day to day with fluid retention/release, more or less waste in your system, etc. This is why it's important to track and analyze the overall trend, not the day to day or weigh in to weigh in actuals. Weight isn't static.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    unless you literally ate nothing for those 4 days, its a loss in water weight/food waste
    Pretty much this. I have lost 3-4 lbs overnight but usually that loss is a fluctuation in hydration/poop.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    It seems to happen to me quite often. I only lose weight on the scales for 1-1.5 weeks slap bang in the middle between TOMs when it can fall off. The rest of the month it's flat or goes up a bit. I figured it out by charting my weight loss and TOM.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Some people subscribe to the "whoosh" theory:

"Back during my college days, one of my professors threw out the idea that after fat cells had been emptied of stored triglyceride, they would temporarily refill with water (glycerol attracts water, which might be part of the mechanism). So there would be no immediate change in size, body weight or appearance. Then, after some time frame, the water would get dropped, the fat cells would shrink. A weird way of looking at it might be that the fat loss suddenly becomes ‘apparent’. That is, the fat was emptied and burned off days or weeks ago but until the water is dropped, nothing appears to have happened."

from: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

I'm not sure if I believe it or not, there's just not any evidence out there for it (either proving or disproving since no one has really studied it). I'm just throwing it out there because some people do lose weight in "whooshes", meaning they don't see any change for a while and then will suddenly drop a few pounds at a time.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

It's possible but it's likely not fat loss.
  • Katykins16
    Katykins16 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)