Secretly recorded at work

Options
124»

Replies

• Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Somewhat relevant to the discussion at hand, do similar laws apply to saving mfp profile photos? I'm asking for a friend.

"a friend" lol
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    **** EDITED TO NOTE: I just read through the pages and discovered that OP has clarified is from UK (to be fair profile of WA was misleading. lol. ) I've now wasted several minutes researching a law that isn't even applicable. I'm not searching for it in UK. Do your own google. I'm leaving this post up tho'......... maybe someone in WA - United States will find it informative, I really don't want it to go to waste. Haha.

WA isn't intentionally misleading - MFP lists EN for England and WA for Wales and NI for Northern Ireland.. not sure what the abbreviation for Scotland is. For some reason it also lists the ward that someone's from, which is weird because I've not come across anyone in the UK ever referring to the ward that they live in... usually they go by the county or a major town or city they live in or near to. I'm from the UK and find it a bit confusing - I know where the various counties and major towns and cities are, but such and such ward is meaningless, because these are only used for elections AFAIK and maybe some other administration purposes. It'd be a lot clearer if they'd list the county, then UK as the country.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    A business, unless it's government, is a private place, not public. Take your concerns to the owners, management, HR, or whoever handles grievances. The recording may well be illegal.

If it's a government agency, the recording could be an even more grievous act. Recording conversations without permission is criminal in my state, anyway. File your complaint.

I believe that if is a Retail establishment or open to the public where customers can come in off the street uninvited then it is still a public place.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Somewhat relevant to the discussion at hand, do similar laws apply to saving mfp profile photos? I'm asking for a friend.

You are such a good friend. You are always asking stuff for your friend. :flowerforyou:
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    HILARIOUS....we all don headphones so we can block each other out most of the time...but we also get along - it's more of a work environment thing, not anything personal.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

You are such a good friend. You are always asking stuff for your friend. :flowerforyou:

He's something of a charming simpleton. He would get himself in so much trouble if it weren't for me. *nods* true story
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying the legal analysis. But seriously, speak to HR, though you may want to consult with an attorney conversant with your state's law before doing so.

^^This.

In many state it is NOT illegal to record conversations. "One party consent." In others, all parties must agree. So what he did may, or may not be legal.

Company policy is another issue outside of the above. There may be a policy in place that prohibits all recording. Thus, the situation may be that it was legal, but against policy. If that is the case, it is up to the company to decide what action to take, if any.

Take to a lawyer first, then go to HR. You might also want to ask the lawyer about protecting yourself from this individual should he be fired for his actions.
  • jd1208
    jd1208 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice.

Sorry about the mix up about where I am from. I did't realise that was on there as I don't remember putting it in; I'll make sure to change it.

EDIT:: Just realised what might have happened, for some reason it was set to Wales (WA) but I'm from England, but also I had put my post code/zip code in, I don't know why that gave me ABBEY WARD as that is not where I am from. No Idea what happened there.