protein is always high???

Options
My protein count is always going over -- will this affect me at all?? I mean I will stay within my calories but then go minus in my protein. I am sure there must be some reason it gives you a total for the day so what if it is over???

Replies

• runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My protein count is always going over -- will this affect me at all?? I mean I will stay within my calories but then go minus in my protein. I am sure there must be some reason it gives you a total for the day so what if it is over???
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    being over by a significant amount regularly can have health implications in the long run. The liver doesn't do well if you approach say 40% of your intake from protein.
    By that I mean, add up your protein, carbs, and fat, and divide your protein by that and it will give you what % you are taking in in protein. If it's above 30% then you're probably a bit high unless you are doing it by design (weight training sometimes uses numbers like this), but anything approaching 40% for an extended period (many months, or more likely years) can cause your liver some serious problems. MFP chooses to go minimal with protein (no idea why), and gives you 15% as a goal, I usually say 20 to 25% is a much better range to have.
    My personal ratio is 25/25/50 for protein/fat/carbs. If I ever end up implementing my 4 day weight training, 2 day cardio routine (right now I'm 3 and 3) then I'll change that to 30/25/45)
  • runawaybride
    Options
    OK So if I do this right my carbs were at 222-my fat 53-my protein 60---added up that equals 335 for the day then I divide that number by what ????? I just want to make sure I do this right -- do I divide by 60 for the protein????:huh:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    OK So if I do this right my carbs were at 222-my fat 53-my protein 60---added up that equals 335 for the day then I divide that number by what ????? I just want to make sure I do this right -- do I divide by 60 for the protein????:huh:

you're fine, that's 18% protein. Not an issue.

it's 60/335 or 17.91%

I would actually go down a little with the carbs and up a little with the protein and fat if I were you. 66% carbs is a lot. I guess they do that with everyone on here, not sure why, it seems a little high, I guess cuz they assume ONLY cardio, even then though, I'd feel better about 20/20/60
  • runawaybride
    Options
    Thanks for the tip -- I will definetly try to do closer to the 20/20/60 . I know alot of carbs depending on what it is can really affect me!!! I will let you know how it goes --well that is if I can remember how to figure it all out!!lol