Our first 5k and I'm nervous!

Options
2»

Replies

• Mjones23456
    Mjones23456 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I walked/ran my first 5K in February. I was as nervous are you are but it is a blast and the only person who cared about my time was me!! It inspired me to get running and I will run the next one.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on approaching your goal of completing your first 5k!! I hope you have a blast, enjoying every second of it!! I am sure there will be some 10k Runners blazing past you, that's their race, not yours. You do your walk and have fun and I wouldn't be surprised if you walk a lot faster at the race then what you do at home. Keep us posted!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Once you get started, you won't be nervous. It will be fun. As others said, stay to the side with the other walkers. Be proud of your accomplishment once you're done.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Depending on the course, you may pass runners going in opposite directions. My first 5K was a 5K, 10K, and Triathlon. There was a turn where people were going in both directions. Although it was obvious that the 5K was a struggle for my friend and me, and many were running much faster and further than we were, they were encouraging us. Almost every one that passed us said things like, "You're doing great!" "Keep going!" We also do a 5K every year with our kids that has a turn around. On the way to the turn we pass the faster runners who shower the kids with encouragement and attention, which they just love. After the turn we pass the walkers who are behind us and they do the same. Depending on the race, there may also be spectators cheering everyone on along the path.

I honestly think finishing my first 5K was one of the proudest moments of my life. I was running with a friend who had never ran a complete 5K distance, so I was pushing her a little bit. We crossed the finish line at the same time to a bunch of people cheering for us. I was really proud of my friend and proud of myself too. :)

I hope you have fun! Good luck!
  • ssmaling
    ssmaling Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SO much for the encouragement and advice! We're gonna get out there and do our best and who knows, maybe one day we'll be doing a 10k!
  • darinsmedley
    Options
    I was about 40 pounds overweight when I first started walking/jogging. I walked for about a month at a pretty fast pace (4MPH). After that month I got bored of walking and started walking/jogging with the jogging part about 1 minute and the walking 2 minutes. After about three months I was running for 30 minutes at about 6MPH. I finally signed up for a 5k after about 6 months of working out with a goal to be the 30 minute mark. To my surprise I did it in 26 minutes flat. I was shocked! Don't be nervous, crank your music and go at your own pace. Once you've done your first one you'll be addicted, I promise!