Finished Couch to 5K

Corrie62
Corrie62 Posts: 191
edited September 22 in Success Stories
Today I completed the Couch to 5 K program. I repeated one week (week 7) and missed a run last week, so didn't get to my final one til today.

When I started this program 10 weeks ago, I was struggling running for the 1 min allotted time. Every jump up was a struggle actually, and the thought of running for 30 min without stopping unfathomable to me. Well today I did it for the 3rd time...and while I wouldn't call it a snap, I did describe it to my co-worker as "easy". My speed was only 4.2 mph, so my next goal is to increase my speed. I will still run 3x per week increasing my speed by 0.1 or 0.2 mph every week. I would like to run a 5k event sometime in the spring/summer, so have winter to work on speed and early spring to work on transferring from treadmill to pavement (not an easy thing I understand).

Not the biggest success I suppose, but I am very proud of myself and how far I have come.

Replies

• katieannd
    katieannd Posts: 66 Member
    Great Job!!!
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Don't undersell your success! I have been contemplating the C25k program starting Jan 1st, but it is daunting to me! You are my new hero!
  • wow, congratulations!!! it's always a struggle to run, it's one of those sports that is either innate or takes you a verrrrryyyy long time to figure out haha :) my goal, since i used to be a runner, is to do the chicago marathon next october, so maybe i'll try a running program like that to train. again, congratulations!!!
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    You should be proud! I finished mine in October, however I've done it all outdoors...so its quite a transition for me to start running inside on the track at the gym or on my treadmill. I just dread it! I miss running outside. :ohwell:

Congrats to you on your C25K graduation! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • angiemcgovern
    angiemcgovern Posts: 64 Member
    Finishing that program is a HUGE success! Way to go!! :flowerforyou:
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Congrats!!! I've toyed with the idea of trying C25K but I'm just not sure I'd be able to do it. You've given me a nudge in the right direction! Awesome job and dedication! :)
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Congratulations on a job well done! I have been contemplating the c25K but I find it a little daunting. I believe you've given me some inspiration to get off the couch and try it! Good for you! :flowerforyou:
  • that's AWESOME! I'm starting tonight! you're an inspiration!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    CONGRATULATIONS!

* * *CONFETTI!* * *

That is amazing! I just started running and I'm kind of following this program though more or less going at my own speed and not pushing it! lol! So I am mega impressed at your amazingness!!! :o)

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Here's to you!
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Congratulations :smile:

I`m currently on W2 D3 and loving it so far. Thanks for the inspiration :drinker:
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    That is so great! Most people can't walk for 30 minutes straight, running for that long is a hug accomplishment! And it sounds crazy, but once you've nailed 30 the bigger miles aren't that much harder. Good work! :drinker:
  • are you kidding!? That's AWESOME!:drinker: Switching to pavement is NOWHERE NEAR as DAUNTING as having a treadmill ticker slowly counting down the 30 mins til you can stop for the first time- If you can get through that you can get through anything!

Tips for pavement- try to stay off the concrete, asphault is a little more giving- when you can.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    It's a major success, you completed the program. Keep improving upon it. :smile:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    Congrats! Finished the program a couple of weeks back, running my first 5K on 12/4!
  • Congratulations, just finished Week 4, Day 1. You're story is inspiring to me. I love the Couch to 5k! I hope to run my first 5K March 5th.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    @Corrie62 - CONGRATS! :flowerforyou: I started that over the summer and can run the full 5K, but not in 30 minutes. I am still working on that.

This blurb by Coach Jenny Hadfield looked like a good way to improve speed:
    http://askcoachjenny.runnersworld.com/2010/11/newie-runner-learning-to-run-a-faster-5k.html

She writes:
    Make sure you are running regularly at least three to four times per week for at least six months before hitting hard effort workouts.

I am currently still just trying to get 3-4 runs in a week so I can start some training to improve my time.

Best of luck!
  • Corrie, look how happy everybody is for you! I sure am. I too couldn't imagine running 30 minutes straight, not even 5. Last february I started jogging a little, and by May I ran a 5k and won in my (late 40s) age group. I got so inspired and loved running so much, I completed a marathon in october. Just you wait, you'll be lovin' it and getting faster. Enjoy the process!! Sooo good for our cardio system, too. Hooray -- another runner!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!