Curious...has anyone stopped logging food?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    In high school, I lost a bunch of weight using Weight Watchers Points, and I got to the point where I could remember what points I had eaten and stopped logging. I continued to lose, but then when I got to the maintain phase about a year later, I fell off the wagon...and by that point had forgotten a lot! My advice is to feel comfortable not logging everything, but every once in awhile, especially when times get stressful, it might be a good idea to log in for a week or so. For now, sounds like you're doing great!
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I've been on since June and I log everything!!!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Always nice to see written conformation of cals eaten. Kind of supports your goal daily.See it to achieve it!!:wink:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hello:
    My belief is that if you take for granted that you can Stop tracking your caloric and nutrient intake you are headed for a FALL, No matter how large or small you are. Frankly, it's something Everyone should do...we all would be MUCH HEALTHIER. Everyone that I know who STOPPED logging is Off Track...they May have Stopped for different reasons but NOW they are in the same "sinking" boat. I will never stop, My Health is to important to Me, I NEED to know what is going into My Body.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I joined in March 2008. I took a probably 6 month break and put on about 7-10 lbs. It's not because i don't KNOW I'm overeating, but because I have less accountability for myself for things like if I got fast food or allowed for snacking. I tend to not eat it because I know I will have to log it!

I haven't quite reached my goal weight yet though (I'm not sure my body really wants to let go of the last 5 lbs or so, and I have put on a lot of muscle in the last 2 yrs so my health and body fat have improved quite a bit), but I think eventually when I am at long term maintenance I will quit logging or log just sometimes to just keep in line.

(Plus, I'm at my computer all day, so popping over here when I'm eating is no big deal)
  • jessmo803
    Options
    I think the logging food thing helps a lot. Seeing what you're putting in your body put down on paper keeps everything hmm..well, kind of organized. I plan on logging food until I meet my goal. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
  • Sdhughes
    Options
    I have done this as well, in fact, I seem to mostly use this site now for tracking my weekends (so i know how far over calorie goal i went... =/) and for weighing in to keep it in the same place.

I completely agree with you that this site taught me mostly concious eating, and how fattening ceratin foods were. now that i know these things, there is no point logging in my calories everyday if i already know i am under goal, as that is not the point of any diet. You don't want your diet to become monotonous, boring, and something that you really don't want to do. so don't burn yourself out by being a perfect logger and maybe go down to a couple of days a week to keep you on track, or if you ate something and are not sure of its calorie value =)
  • melodymartinez
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I like the different perspectives. I notice that when I check the website obsessively (like when I'm bored at work) I get more anxiety over what I'm eating and it feels like it becomes an obsession. During the weekends, I typically log at the end of the day and don't think much about what I'm eating (always healthy stuff), and at the end of the day, I've eaten much less. I guess I want that mentality of just "checkin in" or checking how I'm doing rather than being obsessive about it. I think there is a balance that I'm still searching for :)
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of what people have said is correct: tracking your calories definitely is what helps you to lose weight. Without doing so, some people fail.

However, with that being said, if you reach your goal and have a grip on your weight, I don't think you have to spend your entire life counting calories to maintain. However you should definitely weigh yourself consistently to be sure you're staying on the path.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I dont as much either, I became absessed big time. To the point I didnt want to eat. Not saying I never do. When I change foods or seems to get off track a little I go back again. Sometimes to keep things in check!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I stopped loggin food and weight my food b/c I did that for at for at least 7 months. Whatever I put in my mouth I already know how much calorie. If I eat something new out of a bag.. the 1st thing I read is calorie content then the fiber.
    I do keep track of serving on each food group. I found it's easier than count calorie. I still use my measure cup for rice & starch since I don't know for sure how much is in in my bowl.
  • EmpressB
    EmpressB Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm very new on my journey, so still in training-wheels. I like to actually see the calories I'm eating logged and having a concrete track of things.

Once I start losing more and more weight and become more accustomed to everything, then I may not log my calories and just estimate, but for now, I think I need to do it, as going off track or assuming wrongly is more likely for me at this point.

But I don't plan on having to log my calories for life lol, so eventually when the training wheels come off, I will already have my routine worked out and a lot of information on foods off the top of my head to not need to log. My ultimate plan is to become very in tune with my body so I can eat and exercise intuitively.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    it makes sense really.. after spending many months of logging , you would easily be able to remember the calories that each of your favorite foods have in them. you can just add it up in your head. not that complicated.

Pretty much :) After doing it for almost a year straight, I'm now on my 8th month of maintaining and not habitually logging. Sometimes I check to see what a possible meal may add up to if I'm really unsure, and that's about it. It becomes second nature. I'm able to look at pretty much any food and closely estimate its caloric value, based on previously disecting my own homemade meals, in order to accurately enter them into the MFP diary, therefore becoming familiar with each base ingredient's worth.
  • katerinab
    Options
    I find if I don't have to be accountable to myself, I start making more questionable decisions.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have missed days without logging... I find it hard on weekends sometimes. I've gotten better, and now I'm becoming a bit obsessive over the process. THis is a good thing as it's making me very aware of what I'm eating, when and although I don't stress about going "over" or whatever, I do find that I make simple adjustments throughout the day knowing where I'm at and what I've eaten.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging months ago. So far I have been able to maintain my weight with no problems.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I dont as much either, I became absessed big time. To the point I didnt want to eat. Not saying I never do. When I change foods or seems to get off track a little I go back again. Sometimes to keep things in check!

Yeah I'm starting to get stressed out over my calories. I was losing effortlessly before I became obsessed with counting. So I am taking a break for a week to see what happens. The stress can't be good for my cortisol levels
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Not me. I've missed one day. It was a weak moment. Well actually I logged but later that night we were out partying and well it wasn't good. I admire those folks that have logged everything everyday.
  • mizzmorales89
    Options
    There are a few days when I don't log but most of the time I do.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I stopped logging in the Spring and only got back to logging a week or more ago. I didn't have much success but NOT logging. Keeping track hold me more accountable and honest with my food.