How did your doctor tell you you're fat??

Replies

• kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Doctors should be brutally honest... Plenty of folks out there will tell you want you want to hear. Your physician should be right to the point and use strong words.
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Doctors should be brutally honest... Plenty of folks out there will tell you want you want to hear. Your physician should be right to the point and use strong words.

Brutally honest, but tactful. Asking one if they have rocks in their pockets when they step on the scale....not so much :laugh:
  • kadsmaller
    kadsmaller Posts: 85 Member
    In November 2013, I weighed 384 pounds at the doctor's office. My doctor sat down across from me and told me I needed to lose some weight, the same talk we had had 6 months earlier. She told me I should work on not gainning anymore by our next appointment, that in itself would be an accomplishment.

In May 2014 when I returned to the doctor I had gained 16 pounds, 400 pounds. I know she saw in my eyes the hurt and humiliation I felt.

She sat down across from me, took my hands in hers, and asked how could she help me. I cried and we talked for awhile.

She told me about this awesome website called MyFitnessPal.com. I've logged on everyday since, good days, bad days all days. I'm so glad she did. I'm eatting healthier and I've lost some weight. I know this journey will be long and sometimes difficult, but I will succeed.

Just watch me :-)

I am watchin' and wish you continued success. What a very kind doctor to have encouraged you and helped you find this site.
  • kadsmaller
    kadsmaller Posts: 85 Member
    My doctor told me, gently I may add, that I am not going to help you die. Your weight gain is causing you problems and you need to make some changes. He gave advice on how to proceed and offered support along the way.

Unfortunately, he moved away but his support continues to be felt to this day.
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    Have not read any of the posts on this thread besides the OP. I only wish my doctor(s) would tell me that I'm overweight. I flat-out told my oncologist, "Wrong answer. NO, you are not supposed to tell me that my body wants to be at a specific weight." My take on things is that so many people are so emotionally entitled that they think they have a Constitutional right to NOT be offended by the truth. If your doctor can't level with you, who can? Get over oneself.....
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    He didn't. I worked for him and saw what he wrote in my chart. "Well nourished obese white female". I was mortified. Then my OB/GYN who panicked and tried to talk me into weight loss surgery. No thanks.
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    WTG! You are astounding!
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Several years ago, I approached my old doctor for advice on losing weight... you know, that's what you're always told right? Talk to your doctor... but I digress... "Hey doc... I've been doing a little working out... went from whole milk to 2%... other minor changes... but want your professional opinion..." My doctor... in his infinite wisdom says... "Close your mouth." Huh? "Yeah... stop eating so much." Thanks doc.

My current doctor told me he doesn't harp on weight... if you're feeling good and getting some exercise in, then we should be on a good track. Only problem... the exit paperwork you get after the visit... always says "OVERWEIGHT" in big, bold letters. Granted, it's not the doc that's doing it, it's the program they use, but still. Passive aggressive much?
  • GohanJKA
    GohanJKA Posts: 66
    One of my old doctors told me that if I didn't change I wouldn't make it to 25 or if I did I would be on all kinds of medications.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    "Do you want to always be in pain, be unemployable, and die like your mother?"

*proceeds to prescribe things I'll never take*
  • I had been having pain, ending up in the ER two days in a row. The ER doctors thought there was a gallstone on my gallbladder that was causing the pain. I was told to make an appointment with my regular doctor and get an ultrasound scheduled. I did, went to the Dr's appointment. Got the ultrasound.

When I went back to get my results, she told me my gallbladder had no stones on it at all, and that since my pain had gone at this point, most likely it was me passing a stone I did have.

Then she mentions to me that my liver has fatty tissue on it, and explains that when the body starts running out of places to store fat, it starts to store it on the liver. She then suggested exercising for at least 30 mins a day. (Walking, dancing ect.) Then she suggested reducing the sugar/fast food ect and more fruits and veggies. And then said to look at my life and find one other way were I think I could make a change.

Oh, and she also said "don't drink your calories".

I felt so embrassed and I wanted to smack her, but at the same time I reminded myself that this is her job and I know I need to get healthy. She wasn't rude, she just didn't sugar coat it either.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    My doctor was very tactful about it - when I would go in for my physical she would be like "you know your weight is a bit high" or "your weight has gone up again". Last physical she asked if I could try to at least loose 5 pounds. So I was like sure, I can do that. So in April I got a fitbit (my biggest inspiration - I paid for it so I better get results kind of thing) and so far I have lost 34 lbs. So I think she will be happy. She knows I have issues with depression and stress, and that I was very bad about doing take out for dinner and so she gave me some good food suggestions, and she is always nice about it. I think that maybe part of it is my blood pressure is low (like everyone is always shocked I weigh what I do - well did - and had such good blood pressure), and my blood work always looked good, so that is why she didn't push too much, just made helpful suggestions. I am very lucky to have found a good doctor after years of bad ones (well, and one god one who retired).
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    When I was pregnant (and on bedrest mind you) a nurse weighed me and said "Wow you're getting fat. You need to stop drinking milk.". Yeah, that didn't go over well. The OB was a quack too, I switched shortly after.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I can't tell you how much I want to share this thread with physicians! I'm about to start my second year of medical school, and I look around the classroom at the people who I spend every day with, and 90% of them have never been more that 3 or 4 pounds over weight in their life. Doctors often don't know how to address overweight and obese patients because they haven't ever been there. I really hope to one day be a success story for my patients - and the fact that I know what a struggle obesity is will be allow me to communicate with greater empathy.

That kind of surprises me...maybe it's just that I live in the Midwest...but honestly out of the doctors, surgeons, and NPs I know I'd say well over half are not just overweight but obese themselves.
  • PinkClover86
    PinkClover86 Posts: 4 Member
    My previous doctor met me when I was 155-160 lbs.
    Later that summer I dated someone who wasn't very good for me and when I went in again for a checkup, I topped the scaled at 198 lbs. That was 3 months later. He was very surprised and shocked.. he didn't have to say a word...
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    I can't tell you how much I want to share this thread with physicians! I'm about to start my second year of medical school, and I look around the classroom at the people who I spend every day with, and 90% of them have never been more that 3 or 4 pounds over weight in their life. Doctors often don't know how to address overweight and obese patients because they haven't ever been there. I really hope to one day be a success story for my patients - and the fact that I know what a struggle obesity is will be allow me to communicate with greater empathy.

That kind of surprises me...maybe it's just that I live in the Midwest...but honestly out of the doctors, surgeons, and NPs I know I'd say well over half are not just overweight but obese themselves.

Well, keep in mind that the majority of my classmates are 22 or 23 now! I'm sure at some point in their life their metabolism will catch up with them and then they'll have no idea what to do.
  • qcgal
    qcgal Posts: 1
    After I had back surgery my back doctor told me I should lose some weight. He said I will see if this other dr takes your insurance and make a referral for you. I have been going there for 6 weeks now. But it is hard to stick to the diet. I do try and stay under the calories I am suppose to. But sometimes. It is hard when you get those cravings. My doctor should be proud of me next week when I go see him. I always have stayed between 295 to 305. Now I am down to 282 Not as much as he wanted me to lose before I seen him. But almost.
  • AlysaN
    AlysaN Posts: 11
    I obviously knew I was overweight too, by about 50lbs. My doctor was not very kind about it either. I had put on that weight in a span of a year when I started feeling sluggish and fatigued constantly. I kept going to the doctor complaining that I did not feel well, never energized even when getting enough rest, and bad joint pain. He said well maybe you would feel better if you were not overweight. I tried explaining that I put on the weight as a result of not feeling well and being in joint pain 24/7. After he was rude I switched doctors and was tested and found out I have Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease. It was causing all my symptoms. Now on medication I work out and feel better, WAY better joint pain since taking this anti-inflammatory medication. Some doctors are great... Others I wonder why they are doctors. They need to work on bedside manner.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Well, it's that over the glasses look that one gets with a hmm, have you gone on vacation recently? Had that happen to me, but one doctor slammed dunked when she stated that she wanted to do a diabetes test, in fact it insulted me, because I was getting close to the high on my BMI.

Her comment worked, at that point I got real serious about my weight and have taken off 20 pounds with 5 more to go.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    When I was in my early 20's, I told my doc (who had known me all of my life) that my back was hurting. She told me it was probably because I was overweight. It hurt to hear but she was right. I eventually lost the weight, got fit, and my back never hurts anymore. Even when I lug my 2 heavy kids around.