Gaining muscle without fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I guess strength is relative to what you're comparing. Personally I'd rather be able to DL and Squat twice my weight, Bench 1.5x my weight and be able to do chin-ups with 100lbs chained to my waist than be king of the arm curl. lol
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I didn't bring up bodybuilders vs powerlifters

Hey, i'm open minded. If you guys say something that makes me change my mind I'll admit defeat and shut up. My original argument was that significant strength requires significant muscle. Someone said you can get strong without gaining muscle.

The fact that you can train an untrained muscle to work better, get leaner, and therefore lift more weight without gaining size is true. After the initial strength gains...you have a well trained muscle and the only way to get it stronger is to grow it. Is this not true? If not, why not?
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm in for this explanantion also because it runs counter to everything I've ever been taught.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    OP: what you're describing is absolutely doable. You'll just have to be more methodical about it than the people who bulk by eating tons of food and then cut later.

0.8g protein per pound of body weight is about the right amount to build muscle. There's no need to overdo protein intake. You'll also need to ensure you are consuming enough fat and carbohydrates to fuel your workouts.

I have a short list of things I tend to consume when my goal is to gain muscle:
    - Avocado
    - Salmon/tuna
    - Eggs/powdered egg whites
    - Broccoli/spinach/kale
    - Beef/venison/bison
    - Bananas
    - Milk
    - Chicken/turkey
    - Whey protein/casein

I don't eat a lot of desserts, bread or pasta, but I eat pizza once every 2 weeks or so. I typically don't gain a lot of fat while building muscle and I lift 6 days a week for about 45 minutes and at least do at least 20 minutes of cardio on "rest" days -- that said, sometimes my rest days are all day hikes or mountain climbing. Right now I'm around 17-18% body fat. The most important thing for me has been not overeating to build muscle. Too many people start out gorging themselves on day 1, and your body can't use all the excess calories. IMO, it's much better to eat normally and gradually increase your calorie/protein intake as you need it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I didn't bring up bodybuilders vs powerlifters

Hey, i'm open minded. If you guys say something that makes me change my mind I'll admit defeat and shut up. My original argument was that significant strength requires significant muscle. Someone said you can get strong without gaining muscle.

The fact that you can train an untrained muscle to work better, get leaner, and therefore lift more weight without gaining size is true. After the initial strength gains...you have a well trained muscle and the only way to get it stronger is to grow it. Is this not true? If not, why not?

What about if you do a low volume non-hypertrophy schedule like 3x3 or 2x5?

You're not going to build any muscle with such a schedule. But you will get stronger. That's been proven time and again.

Read something like Easy Strength by Pavel and Dan John for non-mass building strength routines for athletes.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I thought about it in the bathroom, and figured out where the argument came from...you guys are talking short term, i'm talking long term.

In the short term i'd agree that you can train for strength or size and get one OR the other. LONG TERM...no matter which one you train for, you will inevitably gain the other as well. How's that sound? Less wrong? Same amount of wrong? Teach me!
  • NowIFeelYa
    NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    thank you to everyone that gave advice :-) . I have been lifting a lot today, not really expecting to see any improvements for awhile but I will keep at it and add more calories as needed too. I see some kinda skinny dudes lifting heavy weights on youtube and teen girls lifting like 200lbs, I would like to be able to lift a lot. It's fun for me to lift weights especially now that I'm not lazy anymore, even when my arms are sore it beats a good day doing a day job.I know this will take time and I will stick with it this time like I did while I was losing weight