Macros question...particularly protein

Options
I have been doing some reading/research on macros and the kind of settings I might want to follow in order to meet my goals. Much of what I've read suggests approximately 1g of protein for each lb of body weight (which seems impossible for someone weighing 200lbs, but that's a separate issue).

I've been using the default settings provided by MFP and it sets my protein at around 95g per day.

I have a fairly sedentary job (teaching) and I work out by running (2-3 miles at 11mi/mile or so) and doing circuit training with squats/lunges/pushups/etc. 4-5 per week. Obviously I would like to burn fat and build muscle by doing this, which is what makes me think I need substantially more protein than MFP is suggestion.

Any recommendations on the protein goals? And, while we're at it, the other macros that MFP sets automatically?

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It's usually .8-1g of protein per gram of lean body mass, not overall body mass. Find out what your lean body mass is and then calculate from there.

Also, it's highly unlikely that you'll build muscle while in a deficit but eating enough protein and engaging in heavy weight baring exercises can help you maintain the mass you already have. This doesn't mean you can't gain strength in a deficit, it just means you're unlikely to gain mass.

Fat and carbs are more of a personal preference. Fat is important for many metabolic functions so you don't want to go too low, 25-30% is generally recommended. Carbs are useful for energy in workouts. Some people can get their workouts done on low carb but a lot cannot (me for example). Just make sure you get your protein in and play with the levels of the other two to see how you feel.

Edit to remove unnecessary quote.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Teachers are saving the word :- )
    You definitely do not need 95 grams of protein.
    The U.S. gov suggests 45 grams of proteins as a minimum:
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    …. typos . . . sorry.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    1 gram of protein per pound of total body weight is a good number for people who are cutting calories to lose weight. This will help minimize loss of lean body mass while you are losing weight, particularly if you do some strength training. If 200 grams seems too difficult, base your protein intake on our goal body weight, rather than your current weight. And you definitely CAN build muscle and lose fat at the same time, particularly if you are new to lifting weights.

It sounds as if you have done your research - provided the research is well documented and from credible sources, I would trust it more than some of the opinions you will get on this forum. While you can learn a lot from many of the people here, there is also quite a bit of less credible or completely inaccurate information being posted.

Good luck!