HELP! Healthy fat numbers doing a low fat diet??

Options
Hello all, this is my second time around on MFP and a weight loss journey. I successfully lost 30 lbs last year, and then gained it back plus another 17 :( I did the alli diet last time which is low fat and that worked for me. How do I "justify" (only word I can think of) the high fat grams in avocado, nuts, seeds, olive oil that are healthy for you but don't fit in with how many fat grams I should have in a meal and through out my day?? I hope this makes sense. I'm nervous to eat any of these foods. Thanks :)

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    when I don't get enough fat I feel like a truck hit me...eat fat, your body needs it

When I don't meet the protein macro I feel fine, but if I don't meet the fat macro my body revolts
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hello all, this is my second time around on MFP and a weight loss journey. I successfully lost 30 lbs last year, and then gained it back plus another 17 :(snip)
    I'm nervous to eat any of these foods. Thanks :)
    Like;
    Take heed of Heidi's (post below) words - especially those regarding "recent science...."
    Much of the "science" actually isn't "recent", it's been going on for years and is supported by both the outcomes over many decades and especially those since the "low fat" dogma became all the rage.

After having done a considerable amount of research and questioning the many "myths" that exist in what we told is "common wisdom", I disagree with "some" of the recommendations and advice in the Harvard links (especially the one about butter), but that, notwithstanding, I'm encouraged to see many folks (myself included) finally coming to the realization that the "food pyramid" and its recommended ratio of fats, carbs, and protein has very likely caused far more harm (health wise) than good.

Here's a very good video that will get you started "thinking".
    It's long, and you might have a little difficulty getting past the Dr's "accent" (at least the first time through), but it's worth it.
    So, grab a glass of the grape (or your beverage of choice), and set aside the time to watch it through.
    If nothing else it will open your eyes to things you've likely not heard or learned in the "lo fat" world.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0GSSSE4l8U
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    AEB;
    Excellent link - thanks for the post
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You lost all that weight on a low fat diet... and then you gained it all back. Maybe because low fat diets aren't sustainable for the long term? Don't be scared of fat - your body needs it. Just watch your calories, eat a balanced diet with some variety, and see how it goes. Good luck to you! You'll figure it out :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Low fat? I'd say 30% of daily intake then.
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You lost all that weight on a low fat diet... and then you gained it all back. Maybe because low fat diets aren't sustainable for the long term? Don't be scared of fat - your body needs it. Just watch your calories, eat a balanced diet with some variety, and see how it goes. Good luck to you! You'll figure it out :)

Thank you! :)
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the info, I'm just trying to get all the mathematics of eating right down...