high triglycerides~any ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• VeganJamiOnAMission
    Options
    I lowered my triglycerides by over 100 points. I can't tell you exactly which one of these things helped the most but I exercised, cut out refined flour and "white" breads/pasta, and I almost completely cut out sweets. I started eating whole grains and whole wheat pastas and breads. I also starting take supplements that are known to help with cholesterol, such as garlic, turmeric, cinnamon, and flax seed. I only took all natural stuff and now my triglycerides are perfect. I also stopped eating out or eating packaged meals and I started cooking more. I cut out processed foods and started eating more natural I guess. Hope that helps. Now that I have typed it, it sounds like I extremely changed my lifestyle. I guess that's true, but it was actually super easy. Fat Free foods are not necessarily good for lowering triglycerides. Be sure to choose foods that have healthy fats. I use olive oil and I eat avocado regularly.

It is also important to consider any prescription medicines you are taking. Some medicines can raise triglycerides as well.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Fish, red wine and cheese.
  • VeganJamiOnAMission
    Options
    fish oil pills are supposed to lower triglycerides...get the ones that are enteric coated...some people have fish burps (ew!!) if they take the ones that aren't coated...

You can get the same benefit from flax oil supplements. They don't have any aftertaste at all. The also make a vegan version out of algae that has all the omegas.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on fish oil and it worked!
    I remembered I used to take 6 pills of them.

This is what we tell our patients everyday. And diet and exercise of course :wink:
  • bubulinnaa
    Options
    just got my results in today and the triglycerides are high. I got some 1 a day fish oil pills (burp-free...lol) but I am wondering if I should take more than 1 a day as the recommended dosage says. Some people said they took 6 a day...what was the recommended dosage? Thanks.
  • jerrbear67
    jerrbear67 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump,
    I have had fasting blood work done recently, everything (blood sugar, cholesterol, glucose) is in the normal range. But my Triglycerides were 6.1 mmol/L were normal is <1.7 mmol/L. I don't drink (maybe once a month), I've cut out refined sugar and carbs. I take a 1000mg fish oil and flaxseed oil tablet everyday. I exercise 6 days a week. I am not sure what else to do. Maybe try the red wine solution a few times a week :)

My diary is open if anyone has suggestions.
  • bubulinnaa
    Options
    one recommendation is to reduce calories intake, sugar and carbs. My carbs and sugar come mostly from the oatmeal and fruit. How much fruit do you eat? I am sooo confused right now as I think I have a preatty healthy diet. I am trying to stay within calories, but what is good for me ...fruits...seem to be my biggest enemy.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Bump! I've just learned my triglycs are high and there's lots of help in this thread. Thanks to all.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    what my Doc told me last year (when mine were high, and I posted this), was to lower fat and saturated fat content...I did just that (and still do)...and ALL of my levels are PERFECT now!!!

that's my biggest recommnedation to any one of you!
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    what my Doc told me last year (when mine were high, and I posted this), was to lower fat and saturated fat content...I did just that (and still do)...and ALL of my levels are PERFECT now!!!

that's my biggest recommnedation to any one of you!
    that was going to be my approach, that and reducing un-natural sugars, so thanks for confirming it worked, and well done!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    that was going to be my approach, that and reducing un-natural sugars, so thanks for confirming it worked, and well done!

THANK YOU!! and good luck to you :)