What to do with leftover ricotta?

Options
peachmagic
peachmagic Posts: 57 Member
I made veggie lasagna last night and only used 1 cup of ricotta, so I still have like half the tub of it left. I have only ever used ricotta for lasagna and have no idea what else to do with it. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• malsseong
    malsseong Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I usually turn mine into pasta sauce. I have 2 ways I like to do this.
    Option 1: Fry garlic in a pan. Add tinned diced tomatoes; season with salt, pepper, and whatever herbs you please (I use Italian mixed dried herbs). Add parboiled spinach (fresh or frozen; excess water squeezed out). Simmer until the spinach is cooked. Add ricotta; heat through.
    Option 2: Fry garlic. Add chopped grilled veg (I like eggplant, zucchini, sweet potato, and capsicum). Add ricotta and a little bit of stock (or cooking water from the pasta); heat through. I also like to add capers, but the rest of my family doesn't like this. Serve with fresh parsley.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You can put some on pizza, or bruschetta, season and stuff cherry tomatoes and grill/broil, put some in an omelette,
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    CANNOLIS.

Blend the ricotta with some sugar/splenda, vanilla and a little bit of citrus zest.
    If you can't find the shells, use mini ice cream cones.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Ricotta is basically very tiny curd cottage cheese, so you can also use it in place of cottage cheese or any recipe that includes cottage cheese.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    1/4 cup part skim ricotta
    1/2 tsp. almond extract
    ground cinnamon to taste
    truvia or other artificial sweetner to taste

Mix it all together , toast an english muffin and spread the ricotta mixture on top. Voilla! Yummy.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Make low-sugar desserts, such as the ricotta creme from the South Beach diet books.

Some examples:

http://www.mizfrogspad.com/Diet/Recipes/Ph1_Desserts.htm
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    CANNOLIS.

Blend the ricotta with some sugar/splenda, vanilla and a little bit of citrus zest.
    If you can't find the shells, use mini ice cream cones.

Or waffles. Or French toast. Yum.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I made veggie lasagna last night and only used 1 cup of ricotta, so I still have like half the tub of it left. I have only ever used ricotta for lasagna and have no idea what else to do with it. Anyone have any ideas?

Ricotta crepes > You'll need 3 or 4 eggs + 2TB sugar [your sweetner] + pinch salt and butter to grease your crepe pan. Whizz all ingredients, less the butter in the blender till smooth. Make your crepes.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    MUST DO lemon ricotta pancakes. Check out Pinterest for the recipe or just Google. They are amazing!

We have actually started buying ricotta for the pancakes and then using the rest of the container for a pasta dish :-) They're that good.
  • pickled_beats
    pickled_beats Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am lazy and seldom use (part skim) ricotta for recipes -- but I buy it all the time to eat with sliced fruit. Right now stone fruit is in season and it is delicious with plums, peaches, apricots, nectarines... sometimes I dust with a little splenda and/or cinnamon, or sprinkle 1/4 cup of whole oats or 2T ground flax seeds.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Stuffed shells
    On a flatbread
    In a crepe

Also, I believe allrecipes.com and other sites let you search by ingredient. Also, pinterest.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal ricotta pancakes!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I mixed it with peanut butter once and it was awesome
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I mixed it with peanut butter once and it was awesome

I thought about doing that!! Now I will with your testimony.. Thanks!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You can substitute ricotta for paneer in Indian recipes or queso fresco in Mexican recipes. In fact, the recipe for making all three of them at home is basically the same: milk + acid + heat = fresh white cheese.

Here's a recipe from my hobby food blog that shows how to make fresh ricotta to make gnocchi: http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/07/30/return-to-gnocchi-the-continuing-search-for-pillowy-dumplings/
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I am lazy and seldom use (part skim) ricotta for recipes -- but I buy it all the time to eat with sliced fruit. Right now stone fruit is in season and it is delicious with plums, peaches, apricots, nectarines... sometimes I dust with a little splenda and/or cinnamon, or sprinkle 1/4 cup of whole oats or 2T ground flax seeds.

Recall on stone fruits:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/22/health/costco-fruit-recall/
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I just eat it straight, not unlike cottage cheese. It is a cheese, after all.

Other than that, we used to make manicotti with it -- ricotta, parmesean, mozzarella, parsley (there were numbers once upon a time, now it's largely to taste) - mix together, stuff cooked shells, top with your favorite marinara sauce and a little more mozzarella, cover in foil, bake at 375F (iirc) for 30 minutes. Nom, nom, nom.
  • pickled_beats
    pickled_beats Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good to know! Fortunately I have a neighborhood farmer's market, where I got mine. I remember learning about listeria when I was pregnant, and it certainly doesn't sound like something to be messed with!
  • lemonsnlove
    lemonsnlove Posts: 200
    Options
    MUST DO lemon ricotta pancakes. Check out Pinterest for the recipe or just Google. They are amazing!

We have actually started buying ricotta for the pancakes and then using the rest of the container for a pasta dish :-) They're that good.

This!! Surpringly good