Plastic Surgery After Weightloss? - Sequel

Options
Sequel and End.

Well, I am awfully sad today (and I am ashamed to say that my old binging habits have won over - but tomorrow will be a new day and beginning). I am sad because a secret hope (that I have been nurtering for a long time and that kept me going) has blown away.

First, the appointment with the surgeon went well enough. The doctor was OK and answered questions although he didn't give much info by himself. He drew pictures to illustrate what he would do. He took lots of pictures of me totally naked (that part was a bit unsettling but...) Then, he told the price. It threw me off.

Arms, belly, back and thighs: $8,600. Each.
Breasts: $6,261.21
Total: $40,661.21

With the mortgage on the house, the 2002 car to change, the kids'studies to plan for ahead of time, and the rest of life (including new clothes, fitness club, new ice skates, some vacations, dentist, kids' activities, etc.)...there is not a chance in the world that I can spend that amount of money on my body and insurance won't apparently cover charges...

DH said that I should be proud of my bat wings as they are the proof that I am now in better health than I ever was. And also that there are worse things in life than having bat wings and loose skin. My mind undertands this but my heart is still heavy.

What am I going to do tomorrow? I can't be crying anymore on my husband's shoulder even he has been quite supportive nor can I indulge in food the way I did since I saw the doctor. I have to invest my time solely on improving my health and my self-esteem, and try to ignore my looks. Ironically, I have been avoiding mirrors and scales most of my life, disconnecting my mind from my body... ( or is it the opposite?) And now, I must do it again in some ways! Or try to really love the folds of hanging skin (is this really possible?)!

I am very, very sad, but the page is turned. That's the end of this chapter... I hope the rest of the book will be good. I love happy endings.

Replies

• Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Hi Nice to meet you :) I am sorry about the news at the doctor but I agree with your hubby. I looked through your pictures and you are beautiful. I can't even see the issues you speak of yet I know the feelings you have oh so well so I do not want to discredit them :) I feel the same way about my arms etc. The truth is you have done so much for your health, body and mind. You have done amazing transforming your body and now it's time to work on your view of yourself :) No matter what weight we are 110 lbs 160lbs 200 or 400 we all have issues we see with our body. Now that you are where you want to be work on your mind and overcoming those feelings. You are truly a beautiful lady and should feel nothing but pride and happiness for where you are at :) Congrats to you on your amazing success. :) You are truly an inspiration.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I can imagine the huge disappointment this has been for you. But as the above poster says - you are BEAUTIFUL!!! And HEALTHY!!!!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You could always get a second opinion and hope another surgeon would be less expensive. Or you could just have surgery on the area on your body that bothers you the most… arms, thighs, breasts, etc. It would be a lot cheaper that way.

Otherwise, embrace the loose skin. You've lost an incredible amount of weight and while having loose skin might not be ideal, it's a constant reminder of what you endured.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi Nice to meet you :) I am sorry about the news at the doctor but I agree with your hubby. I looked through your pictures and you are beautiful. I can't even see the issues you speak of yet I know the feelings you have oh so well so I do not want to discredit them :) I feel the same way about my arms etc. The truth is you have done so much for your health, body and mind. You have done amazing transforming your body and now it's time to work on your view of yourself :) No matter what weight we are 110 lbs 160lbs 200 or 400 we all have issues we see with our body. Now that you are where you want to be work on your mind and overcoming those feelings. You are truly a beautiful lady and should feel nothing but pride and happiness for where you are at :) Congrats to you on your amazing success. :) You are truly an inspiration.
    ^I agree with her. You've come a long way and what an amazing transformation and as another poster said, maybe get the one done that bothers you the most, and then who knows in a few years maybe you can get another one, maybe just do it in baby steps. Either way you should be proud of how far you've come.
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Those prices seem really high....have you thought of pricing it sougth of the border?
  • lagirtha
    lagirtha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know you but I'd go to another doctor.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, I would be getting a couple other opinions..... And since you are probably going to have to pay it out of pocket, is looking in the US an option for you??? I had a circumferential body lift done and it was 15,000.00 (I could have went a little cheaper but I felt comfortable with the surgeon I choose and was willing to pay alittle bit more for that.) . It was a 5 hour surgery... I understand the financial strains but atleast keep the door crack open and weigh out some more options.... I had to take out a loan and am making payments monthly..... But most of all do not sulk on it for to long, no matter what......... You are far more worth it than the loose skin that you have.... Even though I rid myself of the skin around my torso, I still have a bunch of loose skin elsewhere... You don't drop 300 pounds and get rid of it all.... And even though I would LOVE to have other surgery to rid myself of the loose skin in other areas, I chose the body lift because it made the most sense for maximum gain (allowing me to exercise better, clothes fitting better, etc). So if you can not afford it all make the choice to do what you can afford that gives you the best outcome...

The loose skin I have left now is just battle scars and even though I would like it to be gone, I have chosen to own it!! because it is a constant reminder of just how far I have come and just how strong of a person that I never knew that I always was....... Chin up and keep fight the good fight!!!!!! Best of Luck
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, Suzanne. I know you are disappointed. Just keep looking at the before and after pictures to know how far you have come. Our perceived imperfections don't define us. Anyone who has successfully lost a great deal of weight is a winner! Holding on to our health is a treasure. Never let that go. I'm here to be your friend.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I am truly sorry you didnt get good news today. I for one know how it feels to have all that excess skin.
    Like some of the others have suggested, get a second or even a third opinion. You may be surprised with a different price.
    I know being a wife and mother you are used to taking a back seat to your family but maybe pick one body part that bothers you the most and start there.
    I wish you happiness in what ever you decide to do. If you would like a other friend for support please add me.

Cindy♥♡♥
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    :( I'm sorry. I haven't even seriously considered seeing a plastic surgeon because I'm sure I can't afford it... and I thought it would be about half what you listed!!

But I want to share a blog post that a friend of mine wrote, because it is the most inspiring thing I've seen about this. I hope it helps: http://www.imperfectlife.net/ilovemyuglybody/
  • Kassey125
    Kassey125 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with seeking a second opinion or if possible look to doctors in the US I know it is not that expensive here. You have made it so far don't give up on just one quote you can find a way to make it happen! You have done amazing work and you are worth the effort to find more reasonable prices for the surgeries :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your disappointment, but KNOW that you are BEAUTIFUL! I saw this on Facebook today, and when I read your post, it reminded me of this woman's excellent blog:
    http://www.mothering.com/articles/im-supposed-wear-bikini-wore-one-anyway/
  • smiles9090
    smiles9090 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oooooh you look so great!!!!
  • lajpeck
    lajpeck Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the news, Suzanne. I know I struggle with the same body image and as I get closer to my goal I wish I had the option to even consider surgery, but even if it was cheaper here, I just don't have that kind of money to spend.

You know, I watch some of the weight loss shows on tv and one of the big rewards is to get surgery and in a way it irritates me as if you're saying that what we have accomplished is not good enough, that we need to get rid of the loose skin to be a success. But I don't really believe that. I think we need to look at the huge accomplishment we have made and be proud of that. We need to continue to work hard and maintain the loss because we look so much better than we did when we started. We need to learn to love this new body, even with its flaws, because there is so much more we can do with our lives now that we are healthy and fit and we need to look at this as not an end, but a new beginning and an exciting new life that awaits us.
  • thinlynn143
    Options
    I have been part of several support groups over the last few years. Everyone has been very vocal about their extra skin. I have thought about mine quite a lot as well. Although I think that I would like to have the surgery at some point, I have actually become quite comfortable with my skin. I laughingly call myself the bag lady because of all of my extra "bags." I consider each bag, stretch mark and wrinkle a badge of honor instead of a "battle scar." They remind me that not that long ago, I filled out every inch of my skin and now, because of an extreme amount of hard work and dedication, I no longer fill out my skin. If I do have the surgery, it will be at least 2 years from now. I have every intention of going to Mexico to have the work done. There are many reputable doctors and clinics as well as American doctors who practice in the US and Mexico.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Suzanne, I am so sorry. I know this is not the news you had hoped to hear.

I agree with the other posters. Accepting who you are now and recognizing all you've been through and the "battle scars" that you have to show for it is important. But I think that can be done and doesn't preclude looking for alternative and less expensive surgeries. My hip replacement surgery cost $85,000 (!) I could have had the surgery done elsewhere in the US for less than half that. It really pays to shop around.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same place, OP. It is a very dark place. I need basically head-to-toe plastic surgery to tighten the loose skin I ended up with because menopause redistributed my weight. I would be willing to gain 100 pounds or whatever weight gain it would take to fill out these *kitten*-wrinkles. The one and only reason I won't try it is I fear that my breasts would end up so heavy that they'd point downward, and then I'd be even worse off. I am living in severe extreme poverty. Desperately, I enter contests, sweepstskes snd free lotteries online.

The very very best of luck to us both.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! I'm sorry to hear that the financial burden is too much! I think it might be a blessing in disguise - time to love your body no matter what! Consider that at least you can hide the loose skin - where as many many lbs ago you could not disguise that. No matter what you look like you're healthier and more capable now than you previously were! You are so much more than what you are on the outside whether your skinny, overweight, or have loose skin - it is what's inside that counts the most!
  • Raaynn
    Raaynn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    what about a tummy tuck? just pick the spot that bothers you the most and go with that, if you can afford the others later then do it then. it would make recovery easier and would give your body a chance to adjust as well.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Like the above poster said... I picked the part that bothered me the most. It was my tummy rolls. I exercise A LOT and in order to keep up to the level that I'm at I finally put my pride aside and grabbed hold of my stomach like a skirt and ran the stairs. I couldn't ever do a full sit up despite many ab exercises I do. So, many things I couldn't do as my stomach kept my legs from going as high as they needed to be. So I just had a tummy tuck. Turned out my lower abs were separated by 4 inches. I never would have been able to do a full sit up. Lord Jesus was it painful, but I'm 5 weeks out and back to exercising. Low level exercising, but I'm working my way back. My clothes fit SO much better and I'm still really swollen. First 2 weeks I thought what the hell have I done physically and financially. 5 weeks out its already the best thing I ever did for myself.