Ankle Strength

Options
Does anyone have advice on how to build up some strength in my ankles? I've recently started walking/jogging on the treadmill at the gym and I am all over the place balance wise while I'm working out. I end up having to hold on to the heart rate monitors to keep from falling, and I feel like it's because my ankles aren't strong enough.

Thanks!

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have advice on how to build up some strength in my ankles? I've recently started walking/jogging on the treadmill at the gym and I am all over the place balance wise while I'm working out. I end up having to hold on to the heart rate monitors to keep from falling, and I feel like it's because my ankles aren't strong enough.

Thanks!

How fast are you going? Have you tried going at a slower pace?
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Calf raises
    Theraband\resistance training (eversions\invesions)

Google these.

You may also want to look at having a professional gait assessment done and examine footwear which will help stabilize your feet.
  • laura3773
    laura3773 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

How fast are you going? Have you tried going at a slower pace?

Typically around 3.5 mph with an incline (today I did a program that went up to 7% but had balance issues around 2.5%) or 4.5 mph with no incline. I can easily handle those speeds when exercising outside without the same issues.
  • Missfit35
    Missfit35 Posts: 75
    Options
    Balance Training
    1 Stand on one leg for 15-30 seconds
    2 Balance and catch, stand on one leg balancing having a partner toss you an apple or a ball
    3 One leg mini squats- half squats with the opposite leg extending out in front of you ALWAYS have a spotter when performing this exercise.

Strengthening the ankle
    Use thera-band for resisted range of motion Place band around the top of the foot and curl toes at the end of the movement to work the internal muscles of the foot. Perform 3 sets of 20 in each direction.

Good Luck!

Yours in Health , Jrs
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Jump Rope works great!