Do you have a favorite MEAL REPLACEMENT SHAKE?

Options
I'm looking for something high protein/low carb that tastes decent. Any suggestions? There are so many out there it's hard to narrow it down.

Before you tell me that I'm better off eating a meal than a shake, I know. My problem is, I often don't feel like eating something midday, but will overcompensate as soon as I feel hungry in the evening. But I am constantly drinking. And I don't eat meat, so extra protein is never a bad thing.

:tongue:

Replies

• shadowjack1965
    shadowjack1965 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for something high protein/low carb that tastes decent. Any suggestions?
    :tongue:
    I was doing the over the counter stuff but now I'm trying out Shakeology. It's expensive and people will give it mixed reviews but it works for me. I use the chocolate and add a banana and mix it with Soy Natural chocolate milk, (1 cup 70 calories).
  • 4thelove14
    4thelove14 Posts: 28
    Options
    Sorry, I do not ascribe to carb counting so not sure of carbs ... but my shake is yummy and considered a complete nutritional meal...

1 cup blueberries ( you can use frozen if you want the drink cold)
    1/2 banana
    1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter (a no sugar no salt no preservatives add type)
    8 ounces almond milk (unsweetened all natural non GMO type)
    1 cup kale leaves (fresh not frozen)
    1 scoop of whole foods 365 Whey Protein

Cal: 375 Protein: 32 grams

Plus the 10 grams of good fat (mono/poly) keeps you full and kicks you fat burn into high gear

optional: 1 tablespoon all natural vanilla extract if you need more flavor, however I love the blueberry taste

Hope this helped
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I keep almond milk, frozen bananas, flax seed, frozen pineapple and frozen blueberries on hand just so I can whip up a smoothie when I want a snack or a small meal. yummy and no gimmick required. cheap too
  • byebyechub
    byebyechub Posts: 15
    Options
    Those sound yummy! Sorry I should have clarified... I am looking for something in mixable powder form like shadowjack mentioned up there. I need it for a quick, on-the-go, pack-in-my-bag, type thing that will encourage me to consume SOMETHING.

Thanks!
  • Winwin101
    Winwin101 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of protein drink/shakes on the market but I use Nutrisport - Whey Protein Isolate Chocolate because of the high protein low carb per 100g and it is cheaper than other brands . The taste is another story though. I usually try to mix it with soya milk to improve the taste and I've recently discovered chocolate soya milk improves the flavour but I don't like the extra calories. I'm still trying to find ways to make it more palatable.
  • 4thelove14
    4thelove14 Posts: 28
    Options
    Oh, OK .... well my friend just keeps a high protein Ensure on her, they pack 200 cal and 25 grams of protein... no refrigeration required and not really expensive :wink:
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I use Body fortress super advance whey protein in chocolate. There was another one that was caramel chocolate(whey protein) I got a a pharm store and ohhh that was so yummy! but I can't remember oh well. YEAH Whey protein and I don't use a lot of it. I like my girlish figure!:) But i do like muscles so I will adjust to my needs:)
    I wouldn't do shakeology- even if I could afford it. But whatever floats your boat.cheers
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I usually carry a Clif builder bar with 20 grams of protein in my bag. they come in a bunch of different flavors.
    They still have a fair amount of sugar, but it's better than hitting a vending machine or something if I have to eat.
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not sure if they have them wherever you are, but the tony ferguson shakes are not bad. Not that low carb, but drinkable, unlike a lot of the higher protein ones that don't mix well and taste disgusting. They do a tetra pack of them as well.

I haven't tried a protein bar yet that didn't taste like someone had already digested it.
  • byebyechub
    byebyechub Posts: 15
    Options

I haven't tried a protein bar yet that didn't taste like someone had already digested it.

Haha! That made me chuckle.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    'I'm just try a Oh Yeah protein bar! Its like eating a Candy bar Yummy 15gm protrein nice snack Almond Fudge Brownie!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I doon't like this necessarily for the taste, but I love the ingredients. It has probiotics and lots of vitamins in addition to the protein.

GLF062_Xl.jpg
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Trutein tastes great and appears to have a good protein formula. I prefer it mixed with almond milk. Also, consider protein bars. Go to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods where they sell singles and try a few. Builder's Bar, Premier Protein, Rise, Vega, Met-Rx, Think Thin - they all have good flavors and a variety of protein/carb compositions to choose from.
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, Costco brand Premier Protein shakes are incredible. I blend the chocolate ones with PB2, Peanut Butter, and ice. Sometimes a frozen yogurt bar on a day when I'm low on calories. They taste like fast food shakes :)
  • pattydeltufo
    pattydeltufo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's a little cliche, but I like the taste of slim fast. Especially if I get a big class of ice, pour one in, and then top it off with a shot of coffee on the smallest cup setting of my Keurig. Iced Mocha latte.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Trutein is a great protein powder and Optimum Nutrition is also a good go to brand.

You could also try protein bars - I love Quest cookie dough ones.
  • lila1958
    lila1958 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I found an Organic plant based protein powder at Costco, called Orgain. It's 4 grams fat, 13 grams carbs, (not that low I guess) and 21 grams protein. The best part is it's 27 servings and was ony about 25 bucks, way cheaper than alot of others I've tried.
  • julied0805
    julied0805 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    add chia seed to your favorite drinks, they are high in protein. Just goggle it, you'll be amazed of the properties.
  • stevemikk
    stevemikk Posts: 5
    Options
    Jazz.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    add chia seed to your favorite drinks, they are high in protein. Just goggle it, you'll be amazed of the properties.

You would have to add a bag. Bad advise.