Protein shakes and weight gain

Options
I've recently heard that protein shakes make you gain weight or make it difficult to lose weight. I thought that was what you were supposed to drink after a workout for recovery? Sometimes on days that I dont work out, I drink one for breakfast. Is this bad? I am confused. Have I been drinking these thinking it will help me, when in reality, they have been hurting?

I use GNC Wheybolic 60....the serving size is 3 scoops, I only use 1 for 90 calories, 20g protein.

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It's likely fine, especially if you find you aren't getting enough protein in your diet.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If you are using lots of protein powder there's a lot of calories in it and many people don't realize that.

I use the same thing you do and do only one scoop. I do it 2-3 times a week into a smoothie for help.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It isn't the protein shakes that makes a person gain weight, it's too many calories in general. Protein helps to build/repair muscle tissue after a strenuous workout. Hope this helps.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It definitely does. I have a hard time getting in my recommended calories WITH the protein shakes...and definitely hard time with getting enough protein WITH the shakes,
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I consistently lose weight having protein shakes all the time. As stated before, protein shakes only make you gain weight when you go over on your calorie goal. Many protein powders fit right in as a healthy snack or meal replacement. I have a protein shake after my workout everyday.
  • sharenj
    Options
    Just watch out for protein powder with the word "gainer" or some version of it in there. There are protein powders out there to help people gain weight too-maybe for body building.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Just watch out for protein powder with the word "gainer" or some version of it in there. There are protein powders out there to help people gain weight too-maybe for body building.

As stated above to gain weight you need to have a calorie surplus, 3500 calories = 1lb. No protein shake is 3500 calories. You have to increase your caloric intake to gain weight, period. If you're looking to gain weight then yes drinking those on a caloric surplus will help bulk you up I would imagine.
  • katzak729
    katzak729 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Actually, I've found that adding more protein via protein shakes has improved my appearance (my nails and skin are perfect right now and my hair is super-shiny) and I've lost more weight. I find it fills me up and keeps me full for longer periods of time. I use the whey protein powder from whole foods, its 80 cals per scoop, and I use 1 scoop in the morning for my morning shake or my post workout recovery shake (16 g protein). I have a vitamix so I add lots of fruits and veggies too. I also get more protein from egg whites, greek yogart, and fish or chicken.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    * Protein shakes in general do not cause weight gain. I drink BSN that has 150 calories per scoop. I count that in my daily calories.
    * over eating causes weight gain.
    * lack of protein causes weak nails and hair to fall out.