I need some feedback on this situation

Options
I am a disabled veteran, busted my leg on duty and it never healed right. I cannot squat, run, do jumping jacks or jump rope, stairs are difficult, leg lifts are out and jumping around is also not doable. So, what else can I do to burn, and later to strength train? I do walk now about 6 miles a week. I also move around a lot at work. I am not totally disabled, just very limited. I know the obvious answers, like I can move around and march and later bench and curl. I just want to pick some brains and see what else there is out there. I do have a treadmill and exercise bike, but don't have much access to swimming. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies

• a941guy
    a941guy Posts: 31
    Options
    Boxing/heavy bag. It'll burn a ton of calories. I can't wait to get my heavy bag stand.
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Boxing/heavy bag. It'll burn a ton of calories. I can't wait to get my heavy bag stand.

Excellent, that sounds great, dude. Plus I get the added advantage of letting off steam and coordination.
  • a941guy
    Options
    yea, i'm looking forward to it!
  • ccbronson
    ccbronson Posts: 3
    Options
    You could also try an arm bike
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Can you do an elliptical? I've seen some people with some fairly serious leg and/or balance issues get on the elliptical and do just fine. It's very low impact. There's even a lateral elliptical which goes side to side instead of up and down, and that would have even less impact on knees.

Also, swimming is really great exercise.
  • SinCityFit
    SinCityFit Posts: 96
    Options
    Google Arthur Boorman DDP Yoga and watch the video.
  • raaachelmarie
    raaachelmarie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    maybe swimming?
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Intense ab workouts. 8 minute abs is GREAT. Also, there are apps and websites that allow you to build your own workout circuits (choosing different ab exercises). If you do them as fast as possible, all in a row, rest, and repeat, it ends up being great cardio into the bargain.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Resistance training. Negative weights. Resistance bands. Maybe get a trainer for a session & they can show you some things you can do on your own?
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Google Arthur Boorman DDP Yoga and watch the video.

This, definitely!

I ride a bike (usually stationary, sometimes on trails) because I get bored out of my mind walking and I hate running. Then do DDP Yoga a couple of times a week, usually on the days I don't ride.
  • a941guy
    Options
    I just got DDP Yoga (I won't tell you how!) The wife and I are going to try it out. Also, Raaachelmarie mentioned swimming. I've got some hardware in my hip and like you have trouble with just about anything that requires bending/flexing that hip so things like cycling, squats, etc. are a real pain in the *kitten*. I LOVE being in a pool or out in the gulf swimming. being in the water it allows for a much greater range of motion and feels great.
  • pcook410
    pcook410 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chilly, I have found that wall push-ups are something that I can do. My legs and knees seem to be in very similar condition to yours. I stand about 12 inches from a wall, toes pointed forward and heels kept on the floor at all times. I place may palms on the wall at about shoulder width from each other. Then I lean myself toward the wall...keeping heels on the floor and back as straight as possible----until I can tough my nose to the wall. Then I push myself back to a standing position. Do about 10 or 15 of those at a time and repeat as many times as you can. It will help some.

Pat
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    swimming sounds like a great option.

and doing band work- little more flexible for you than a barbell or dumbbells.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Can you do the recumbant bike?
  • trishalackin
    trishalackin Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into Unilateral Resistance Circuits? If you still have one good leg, strengthening it has tons of benefits for both legs! I injured my knee and can't do squats for that reason, but one legged squats are still an option and after getting my good leg strong, my bad knee will be able to heal better/faster. If you're looking to burn more calories, increase sets and take fewer breaks.
  • MonicaJumper
    Options
    Tai chi!
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Martial Arts
    Walking with an incline (just start at one and work your way up)
    Elliptical
    Swimming
  • pinknikes30
    Options
    Walk at an incline (min 7 at 3.5 speed for 20 min). If you can, do heavy weight training on the muscle groups you can, back, chest, shoulders, ect. Cardio will only take you so far.