Road to trail running

So one of my running partners has got me into trail running and I really enjoy it, but my pace is at least a 1-2 minutes slower! Is that normal? I feel so much better after trails than pavement. For example, ran 13 miles road then couple weeks later 12 mile trail run, I ached so much more from road, but really had more inclines on the trail. Also, I wear brooks adrenaline for road running, I went to be fitted for trail shoes and they gave me saucony peregrine. Now I just found out this saucony shoe is neutral in stability, shouldn't I have more stability with trail if I wear stability for road?? Any advice would be great!

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Its totally normal for your pace to slow on trails. The terrain is shifting and more difficult. The dirt trails are softer on the joints than asphalt.

If they shoe works well, it doesn't really matter. Usually more ankle/foot control is better on technical trails. Brooks does make a trail model of the Adrenaline you are that concerned, but if it ain't broke...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Now I just found out this saucony shoe is neutral in stability, shouldn't I have more stability with trail if I wear stability for road?? Any advice would be great!

Most trail shoes are neutral, essentially trail running doesn't conform with the assumptions around motion control cf neutral cf cushioned with respect to roads. Your landing is more frequently less stable.

Personally I've found that trail running has reduced my need for motion control shoes on the road.
  • jessbro1977
    jessbro1977 Posts: 58 Member
    Thank you for the help! Definitely feels better running trails and the scenery is so much better. I've even been doing it without music, which is unusual for me!