Holiday/Christmas baking sugary substitutes needed

Options
Searching for healthy substitutes for powdered sugar, sugar, brown sugar and corn syrup...suggestions & experience? I'm not into processed foods so something that I can make would be great! I use raw honey and molasses.

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're making. If you're cookies, it'll be difficult to find a natural substitute, especially for powdered sugar. If you're making cakes or sweet breads you can often use applesauce as a sweetener.

I'm going to be baking tons of cookies, banana bread, a fruit cake for my dad, and lots of other sweet treats. I'm going to be using regular sugars, I just won't be eating much, if any of it! And the desserts I'll be making for Thanksgiving and Christmas will be things like apple crumble, which has very little sugar and is actually pretty healthy since its 90% apples.
  • js67us
    Options
    splenda makes a granulated sugar substitute. www.splenda.com they also have a brown sugar blend. Their site also has recipies!!!! Hope this helps...

Jeanne
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Thank you for your input!

I'm making a cream cheese pie which traditionally it's made w/cool whip, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. I'm making the cream cheese and I can whip whipping cream from cream but I don't have a substitute for the sugar.

cookies & cakes aren't an issue...I've got chocolate chip cookies down w/honey. Carrot cake tastes great w/honey as well but it turns the cream cheese frosting green!

a candy, that's similar to peanut butter cups. I make almond butter but still need powdered sugar.

I'd like to make a pecan pie w/out corn syrup and wonder if I could use a honey/molasses mix? Someone told me I could make my own molasses w/raw sugar.

Basically, I want to make my recipes but substitute the sugar out w/something like raw honey.

Oh well, if I can't, it's only once a year. I just hope we don't break down our immune system too bad and get sick from it. This is the only time of year we buy sugar so I can make these treats. But I'll continue to look for healthier substitutes.

I'd use stevia but read it can make the guys sterile!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    blue agave is made in our area and the powdered version gets clumpy.

It's a bummer because I don't want to use processed sweeteners. I read that powdered sugar is processed 10 X by the time it becomes powdered sugar. That's crazy. I should just make my own from sugar.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    stevia is only available in single sized coffee packets in my area. I wish I had a plant in my garden.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Honey and agave syrup really aren't that much better than regular sugar. Per tablespoon agave syrup has: 60 cals and 15 grams of sugar, honey has: 64 cals and 17 grams of sugar, sugar has: 77 cals and 21 grams of sugar.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    I'd have to argue about how great local raw honey is. Honey is God food. It builds up the immune system and has so many health benefits. Google the benefits of honey and you'll be amazed. Sugar, breaks the immune system down. Agave is something I'd have to look into further but I'm in love with honey =)
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Honey and agave syrup really aren't that much better than regular sugar. Per tablespoon agave syrup has: 60 cals and 15 grams of sugar, honey has: 64 cals and 17 grams of sugar, sugar has: 77 cals and 21 grams of sugar.

It may seem the same as far as calories and/or sugars but Agave is a low glycemic index sweetener so it is slowly absorbed into the body preventing spikes in blood sugar (unlike regular sugar). It is also 25% sweeter than regular sugar so you don't need to us as much.

I am sure neither one is "GOOD" but when trying to make healthier things that need to be sweet I think it is a palatable substitute. But to each their own . . . there are a lot of mixed opinions about organic vs. traditional foods so it is up to each individual what they believe and choose to put into their bodies. Personally . . . I would rather put agave, honey or stevia in my body rather than white processed sugar, aspartame, or Splenda. But other people have no problem with it.

So . . . just trying to give information that I have learned over the years. Take it or leave it.

I wish everyone well and hope holiday baking doesn't ruin the spirit of the holidays. LOL :happy:
  • sarahtiano
    sarahtiano Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try Sunsweet's "Lighter Bake" it's a substitute for butter and sugar. Made from fruit! It really works well too.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Try Sunsweet's "Lighter Bake" it's a substitute for butter and sugar. Made from fruit! It really works well too.

This does work, but sometimes you need some of the sugar in the recipe. Also, along with the honey comments, it is healthier based on it's other properties besides sugar/calories.
  • kellyjurries
    Options
    I really enjoy ideal....bakes just like real sugar and I really can't taste a difference!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    you can make powdered sugar by blending sugar in a blender or food processor. It might work with stevia or ideal/slpenda too.