Cold Weather Running

california_peach
california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
The temps here have recently drooped into the 40's and 50's here (I live in No. California). I have noticed that with this drop in temps I have started getting calf cramps when I run. Nothing else about my running regime has changed. The time and distance are the same, my shoes are the same, and my pre-run stuff is the same. They are a real killer and I am wondering if I need to do something special to prepare for the colder temps. It may get a bit colder here, but not by much.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~Amy

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Please pardon me while I roll my eyes at the 40's and 50's being "cold weather running" :wink:

Here's some great stretches I use to keep shin and calf pain at bay (I'm susceptible to shin splints, and got these from my PT in highschool)

Stretches-

Ankle Roll- rotate your foot at the ankle
    Runner's Stretch- step back with one foot and bend front knee.
    Runner's Stretch 2- place foot against wall, heel on the floor
    Stairs- Stand 1/2 on a stair, toes on the stair with your heels hanging off. Dip your heels as low as you can and then raise them as high as you can (on tippy toes)

By far my fav- roll the underside of yourfoot over a tennis ball, concentrating on the arch of your footFor calf pain focus on the center of your arch -- shin splints (in case anyone else is reading) focus just under your big toe knuckle.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    How many miles on the shoes? Could be you are ready for a new pair??
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I am new to running and am very interested in this too. I don't know if it totally applies, but I just read an article in Runners World, (I think) about peeps with naturally tight Achilles and calves or people recovering from injury. They recommended sitting with a heating pad for 5 to 10 minutes on your calves before stretching and running. I don't know if that might help with the cold temps? Maybe someone has better advice, I'll be following to find out. :smile:
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    yeah, I've never had problems with the weather being related to calf cramps but old shoes will do it to me . . . everyone is different though.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
    Thank you all for the advice. I am going to go look for some new shoes soon, and I will be expanding my stretching as well. Thanks so much!!!
This discussion has been closed.