Horrible Diary Day

Options
After doing really well with my calories the first half of the day, I binged on 6 of the homemade cookies that I baked for my husband and stepson, then continued to spiral out of control by eating a McDonald's Angus Burger meal (minus the drink) for dinner, and ANOTHER half dozen of the cookies, all while cancelling my planned trip to the gym!! My food diary for the day is jaw-dropping calorie-wise!! After the first round of cookies, I figured I'd just get back on track for the rest of the day. After our parent-teacher conference at my stepson's school, I was very tired and very hungry, which I think is what led to the train of thought that I'd skip the gym "just for tonight" and then eat a horribly crappy dinner since I had already slipped today. I know that's a horrible thought process, but it seems to always happen if I slip up just once throughout the day. I've been telling myself I'll make it up the rest of the week, but with Thanksgiving on Thursday and traveling Friday/Saturday, I won't really be able to work out. Arrrgggghhhh! Any thoughts, support or motivating comments are more than welcome!!

Replies

• jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    I have been there, too! One thing I am going to try is to get on to MFP and track my food even when I have had that bad day. I think maybe it will help me to be more accountable in the future if I see the actual number of calories I consume on the days I am not so good. It's worth a try! I won't lose weight by pretending I didn't eat whatever crap I ate on that bad day, but maybe by seeing just how many calories there are in that bad crap, I will be better next time.
  • sevangelista
    Options
    It's a marathon not a sprint. If you fall down, don't beat yourself up, just get back up and keep going. Log everything good or bad, but don't obsess over a few bad choices. You are here and trying and that is great...try and do better tomorrow and keep at it
  • gurlondrums
    Options
    I've been there too. It's alright, just pick yourself up and dust yourself off. Stuff happens. I agree with jteammom and would log everything. I log everything when I slip up and it's a real eye opener to know how many calories and fat and everything is in what I just thought I enjoyed for food. I do research all the time and I like to watch documentaries on the human body (I also work in the medical field) so I know why all that stuff is bad for us, but I still get cravings for it. Sometimes, you just can't help it and you give in to the cravings. It's all about what you do afterwards though, do you completely mess up all your progress and go on a bad food run for weeks or just start all over again? I think you'll be fine. Good luck! =)
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Log it, own up to it and press that "complete your day" button.....that number of what you would weigh in 5 weeks if every day was like today is usually enough to snap a person out of it! :laugh:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I seems that you tracked your food, so you logged in all your sins, and you wrote about them. That is accountability and owning your not-so-good-choices. Good fo you!

The next time that you feel tempted to do the same, go back to your 11/22/2010 diary and see how it looks like. I know that you are going to get on track again tomorrow and you will NOT let the "turkey" derail your goals. Aint' that the truth?

:flowerforyou:
  • sconnors16
    Options
    Thank you all for the words of encouragement, they really helped!! Aeriel, I completed my day and you are right....that number of what I would weigh if every day were like today made my jaw drop!! Definitely a good reality check. Thank you all again and good luck to everyone during what will likely be a challenging week! :)