So confused about calories

I'm so confused right now. I've been reading the newbie posts, but I just still don't get it. (I'm sorry!)

I just used the BMR calculator and at my goal weight (108) my BMR is 1185 cals a day? But I can't eat any less than 1200? If I eat 1200 will this cause me to gain the weight back? I know it's all counter intuitive about eating more to weigh less, but if I go up to maintain weight that seems like a lot more than my BMR.

And right now my BMR is 1204 cals a day (current weight 111). So to keep losing these last 3-4lbs should I still be eating 1200 cals a day or should I eat more?

I'm so sorry, but I just don't get this whole cal deficit thing and it's driving me nuts. :embarassed:

Replies

• uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    I'm so confused right now. I've been reading the newbie posts, but I just still don't get it. (I'm sorry!)

I just used the BMR calculator and at my goal weight (108) my BMR is 1185 cals a day? But I can't eat any less than 1200? If I eat 1200 will this cause me to gain the weight back? I know it's all counter intuitive about eating more to weigh less, but if I go up to maintain weight that seems like a lot more than my BMR.

And right now my BMR is 1204 cals a day (current weight 111). So to keep losing these last 3-4lbs should I still be eating 1200 cals a day or should I eat more?

I'm so sorry, but I just don't get this whole cal deficit thing and it's driving me nuts. :embarassed:
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    im not exactly sure, but maybe it is the calculators way of telling you that you are not needing to lose any weight? Most people with a bmi as low as yours at 111 lbs find it very difficult to lose any weight at all because their body is already low on the fat reserves as it is...
    im sure someone will elaborate more scientifically, but that is my speculation.
    Either way, welcome to the group!!
  • runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    I use to work at a gym and the way my boss always told people was to take what you are suppose to eat like if you are suppose to eat 1500 calories then you subtract 500 from that which gives you a deficit of 3500 calories a week which equals a 1 lb weight loss but then you also have to figure in exercise into the equation.But really you should not eat less than 1200 calories at all or your metabolism will not operate right so just try to hang in there!!!!:ohwell:
  • The way I think of it is that MFP gave you a perfect amount of cals to eat a day based on how much activity you do (without exercising, i.e. your daily routine) and the defecit needed to lose your goal amount of weight. If you go under these cals your defecit will be too great and your body will go into starvation mode (--->weight gain). Working out also increases your calorie defecit so you must make up for these in your daily intake.

I just try to stay as close to the cals MFP recommends and if I go a tiny bit over or under I don't stress.

Disclaimer: I am very new here and I may not completely understand yet so please feel free to correct me veterans!
  • ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    I recently talked with my Doctor about weight loss and what I was doing. He told me that a well balance 1000 calorie diet will not send your body into starvation mode. He did recommend that if you burned calories through exercise during the day that you needed to allow yourself to eat those calories. I obviously have more to lose than you. I think if you have a Doctor that you trust it doesn't hurt to talk to him and get his or her advice. He answered every question I had, it was actually motivational. This may not help you at all, but I wanted to share none the less. I usually eat between 1000 and 1200 calories a day. and exercising 3 days a week and I have lost 10 lbs during the month tha I have been doing this and dropped a pant and shirt size.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    BMR is not the same as maintenance calories. BMR is the absolute minimum your body needs to function - just laying around. To find out your maintenance calories go back to your settings and put in to maintain your weight instead of to lose 1 lb per week, etc. Then when it does your calculations it will tell you your maintenance calories.

I would recommend eating at least 1200 calories and eating your exercise calories. Since you have so few lbs left to lose, it will be a slow process - maybe focus on toning up and the exercise part. See Banks posts and also Viviakay. When she went to maintenance, she gained a few lbs, then lost them and the few more she was wanting to lose but couldn't seem to lose. Maybe that would help you also! Good luck.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member

First of all, if you have that little to lose, only calculate that you want to lose 1 pound a week or less (if you can). Once you calculate that, it should raise your caloric limit automatically when you go to "My Home." It's all built in. You really don't have to think about it. But again, if you are exercising, and you say you only have 3 to 4 pounds left to lose, you may not really have anything to lose if you're building muscle.

And eat the calories you gain by exercising. From all the wonderful posts we've had, the last 10 can take a long long time to lose, just relax and don't beat yourself up.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    For now, to make it easier, forget your BMR. That's an estimate anyway.

use this calculation. It's only a rough (VERY) rough guide, but it's pretty close, once you are more confident in the understanding you can scrap this sheet and go with a more sophisticated approach that fit's your needs better.

Find your BMI (in the tools section)

For a BMI above 30 allow yourself maintenance - 700 to 1000 calories (plus exercise if you do any for that day)

For a BMI if you're 25 to 30 allow yourself maintenance - 500 to 700 (plus exercise if you do any for that day)

For a BMI if you're 25 and below allow yourself maintenance - 250 to 500 (plus exercise if you do any for that day)

For a BMI If you're below 20 then you probably shouldn't be trying to lose weight generally, instead you should probably be trying to gain muscle tone and shape. I know there are a few people who still are, that's fine, but as a general rule BMI below 20 is in the lower half of what is generally considered the healthy range, and really for 99% of people there is no additional weight loss needed.

It's a lot more complicated then this. you need to think about a lot more then just how many calories you are eating, but this should get you started. I really think you should make a concerted effort to try to understand why people say to eat your calories though. The reasoning behind why is much more important as it will give you a solid foundation of knowledge to understand what's happening when things don't go exactly as planned.
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Thank you so much everyone.

I think I get it now. So, what I'm understanding is at this point I should be more concerned with building muscle and toning up and the weight will eventually follow?

Hm...I know I just said I wouldn't drink anymore, but does this mean I can? :drinker:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Thank you so much everyone.

I think I get it now. So, what I'm understanding is at this point I should be more concerned with building muscle and toning up and the weight will eventually follow?

Hm...I know I just said I wouldn't drink anymore, but does this mean I can? :drinker:

:laugh: Hey - if you do, have one for me!! I could certainly use one today!