cardio for an hour??

Options
who does cardio for an hour and how do you stay focused?

the only way i can stay focused for cardio is by doing classes... e.g spin classes or group boxing...

as far as getting on a tread mill i will go for 15 mins and be bored, even with the sweet sound of music...

same goes for bikes, eclipse.... but pretty much i will do 15 on one then 15 on another then i cant go on any more i hit a wall?!?!

in that 15 mins i will go as hard as i can for as long as i can..

what about you?

Replies

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Running outside does the trick for me. Somehow it does not get boring. I change my routes often, I enjoy the nature around me, and time flies so quickly. Don't remember last time I ran on a treadmill.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I do cardio that I enjoy... Use the time to think while I'm working out alone... Sports like golf, I could never do that for long either since I do not enjoy it.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options

the only way i can stay focused for cardio is by doing classes... e.g spin classes or group boxing...

this ^

I really enjoy group classes so find them a fun way to get my cardio done. I also find home dvds good when I just want to fit something in at home. Other than that the only "alone" cardio I can do without getting really bored is with the punchbag, . Treadmill or anything like that I am bored after 10 or 15minutes but that is not to say I don't do it sometimes, I just prefer to not do it very often.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I watch movies. I use the gym at work and I have it to myself. I do an hour every morning. Works very well for me.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I do a hour of cardio about once a week and 2 hours about once every 20 days. Usually it's 30 minutes. I would get bored on treadmill too, that's why I run outside at park. Even in winter at - 20°C, just dress up warm and no problem.

I do listen to audio books not music. Music does not do the job so good for me. It's better than nothing but it just feels like it is playing at the background of boringness. Audio books on other hand makes my brain more engaged because I actually have to imagine story or understand information so it feels completely different than just music. Lately I've been listening to some internet marketing educational tapes and french lessons. It's like three birds with one stone - get my exercise in and get smarter at same time while avoiding getting bored. If I study at home sitting I get too easy distracted and bored. So exercises makes my learning more fun and learning makes my exercises more fun.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Do the activities you enjoy.

I enjoy walking/hiking outside, Zumba, swimming, etc.

If it's boring, either find a way to make it interesting to you or find something else.
  • MisterB42
    MisterB42 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like the doing sprint cycles on all the cardio.
    So minute on and a minute off
    and distract myself by watching CSI that I have downloaded to my phone !! :bigsmile:

31130201.png
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Went for an extended bicycle commute this morning (lovely weather).
    I ended up doing 36 miles before work (2hrs 30mins) and I was glad we have showers!

The nice weather here in the UK at the moment helps, but then I do cycle in, around and through London, so I get to see some of the sights (like the Thames, Houses of Parliment, London Eye, that sort of thing).
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I mostly hike for cardio. Climbing hills, seeing panoramic views and glimpsing wildlife make an hour (usually more) fly by!

When I have to, I also do low-impact cardio at the gym to keep my endurance up when I can't hike regularly. I usually bring an audiobook on my iPod and zone out.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Do something that you enjoy. I do workout DVDs and longest is approx. 55 mins ...Insanity. I'm so caught up at times that I don't even realize how quickly the time has gone. I have never been able to do treadmill or elliptical for an hour even with music on ...it's a chore to me so I simply don't do it.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It's a lot easier if you're outside. Especially if you do an "out and back" route because then focus doesn't come into it, if you want to get home you have to keep going :-D
  • October2151
    Options
    Music does it for me. My iPod is loaded with lots of different music so I can match to my mood. I wear a heart rate monitor and keeping up with my progress and changing up my speed accordingly also occupies my mind. The hour on the seated elliptical seems to zoom by.
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I find I can really get into it (mostly, I'm sure we all have off days, however we exercise). I put my headphones on and watch the TV. I also have little competitions in my head against other people in the gym. Yesterday the guy on the bike next to me was literally dripping sweat, I wanted to see if I could do that too! Didn't get there (just got sweat in my eyes enough to sting lol) but it really did push me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Anything less than an hour isn't worth getting changed for...

That said I run and cycle outside in the real world and can't do machines as I'm bored to tears in minutes.

So get outside in the real and train there.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Anything less than an hour isn't worth getting changed for...

That said I run and cycle outside in the real world and can't do machines as I'm bored to tears in minutes.

So get outside in the real and train there.

That kind of mentality stops way too many people from working out. I've had some great twenty minute runs and 30 minute bike rides.
  • Fentyman
    Fentyman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I day dream, intentionally.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Smartphone + Netflix.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I only do about 30 minutes, any more than that and I don't feel like eating all those calories back!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Easiest 1-hour cardio: Go outdoors and walk/run/cycle in one direction for 30 minutes. Then go home.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of season 2 of Breaking Bad (too hot and humid for me to run outside).

But do what you enjoy--if you don't like steady state cardio then don't do it. You won't keep it up.

The best exercise that you can do is one that you WILL do and have fun doing it.