I'm scared I'll give up again

Options
Last year I started to lose weight, then gained it all back when I was diagnosed with meniere's disease. I really wanna get rid of this weight, but it feels so distant and unreachable...

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Here's a good way not to.

Think: "I'm not going to give up this time!"

All the best. You can do it, I know you can. Welcome aboard. :drinker:
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    But even if you did give up again, there would be nothing to stop you from trying again, just like you are now. The journey we are all on is a very twisty one. No straight paths here. My advice, be kind on yourself. :)
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You just have to get back on that horse!

Don't be afraid of quitting before you even try. You lost some weight so you know you can do it, you know it works and you just need to have the determination to see it through.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    To do anything there has to to be a starting point. Don't waste time worrying about things that haven't even happened - just make a start.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    But even if you did give up again, there would be nothing to stop you from trying again, just like you are now. The journey we are all on is a very twisty one. No straight paths here. My advice, be kind on yourself. :)

This^^^

The way to make this time different than any other time is that you start again every time you give up. Chances are really darn good that at some time you will want to (or will) throw your arms in the air and say, "I'm done." That's fine. As long you start again.
  • Kerrie1878
    Options
    Same here! This is day 1 of about 3 years of threatening tomorrow will be day 1.

I'm struggling with a Thyroid disorder (having it removed on 18.08.14)

I'm hoping to lose a little prior to surgery and start now to help make progress once it's out.
    Will warn you all - I'll be needing support ;-)
    I'm also good as supporting others so happy days!

Let's do this!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Make it a lifestyle you can follow for the rest of your life versus a short-term diet. That's what I'm doing and why it's taken me 7 months to lose 18 lbs. Yup, very slow. But I made small changes which I can imagine following for life, which means I don't eat at a deep deficit, I do regular but enjoyable exercise and I love what I eat and drink. No one who eats with me would ever think I was on a diet, but more that I eat a bit 'healthier' than I did a year ago (perhaps a bit less fried foods, a lot more whole foods). Good luck. You can do it!
  • vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's just like driving a car on the highway for the first time and being scared that accidentally your hands will slip on the steering wheel and you'll go crashing into the side rail -> you have the control to do it or not. It won't happen by chance. You will not give up, unless you want to.
  • Stoophanie
    Options
    This exactly. I'm planning on instead of it being temporary, making this my life.
  • jms1739
    jms1739 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Same here! This is day 1 of about 3 years of threatening tomorrow will be day 1.

I'm struggling with a Thyroid disorder (having it removed on 18.08.14)

I'm hoping to lose a little prior to surgery and start now to help make progress once it's out.
    Will warn you all - I'll be needing support ;-)
    I'm also good as supporting others so happy days!

Let's do this!

I had half mine removed a few years ago. What I found worked for me was to cut my grams of carbs down to no more then 25g ever four hours. For a long time I thought it was my thyroid. I take medicine everyday that takes over for it. If you want to add me, I will be more then willing to help give support during the struggles.

Best of luck with the surgery, it is not a bad one, I only have a very small scar on my neck from it.

It is a life change, being healthy is never temporary.
  • Eselte
    Eselte Posts: 49
    Options
    I've given up on every "diet" I've ever attempted. But for some reason this time around seems different. I'm not viewing this as a diet, I am making healthier choices and can still have junk food (not condoning it) as long as it falls within my allotted calories. I've been walking my dogs a lot more also... If I do fall off I'll get right back on. :)

Good luck, don't let your mind fool you into thinking you're going to quit. You deserve a healthier you. We all do.

ps: feel free to add me - anyone.. the more the merrier