Clothes during weightloss

I gave out my smaller clothes for a charity sale because I thought I was never going to lose weight and go back. But I've lost 27 pounds now and my current clothes are so baggy it doesn't look good. I want to buy new clothes but I'm afraid while I'm still losing weight they would get baggy too. Should I just stick with this baggy clothes till I reach my goal or should I go shopping for new clothes now?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Buy new clothes now. Set aside money to buy new ones again.
    You will feel good with clothes that fit and that will help you stick with your goal.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Go shopping. Even if it is just target stuff, get clothes that fit. You've lost enough weight that you need a smaller size! You need to show that off, rather than wear the saggy baggy clothes.

I believe that not buying new clothes is one of the triggers for people losing motivation, because they don't see the difference. Get yourself a few choice pieces and revel in it :smile:
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    depends how far you are from goal. Maybe get a few cheap pieces to tide you over , or use charity shops. I brought some lovely things when I hit my first goal, thinking that was it, but have since lost another 30lbs so they don't fit either!

Congratulations on the loss!
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    If you think you'll need a smaller size again down the road stick to sale racks. Nothing worse than paying full price for something you really like and only getting to wear it less than 3 months.
  • eemore89
    eemore89 Posts: 1
    It is summer, the sales have started (at least they have here) If not for the sake of money, charity shop it!
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Loose tops you can usually get away with, but loose trousers just don't look good!

Treat yourself to some nice new clothes in smaller sizes - it doesn't have to be expensive, or lots of them (check out Project 333 online regarding living with less!) but use it to show yourself how much you've lost. There's loads of posts across MFP where people thought they'd dropped one dress size and went to buy new jeans and it was actually 2 or 3 dress sizes!

If your budget is tight I have seen a tip on here about buying dresses - a loose dress and a belt will last longer during your weight loss, but still look good.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Buy a few basics at one of the cheaper places .... I used to buy one new black pair pants, one new pair jeans every time I dropped a size.....went from 26 to 14, so had to buy a few ;-) so I would have a very baggy pair, and one well fitting pair - when the baggy ones got to big it was normally time to buy a smaller size....

The other option you have is to buy from a "op shop" where they sell recycled clothes...
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    I say go and buy a couple of key items in the right size for now and hopefully it will spur you on even more.

I personally cannot face going to buy new clothes as I still look at the larger sizes and then daren't go and try on the smaller sizes incase they don't fit :-(
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    For my recent holiday I bought clothes from charity shops as I was struggling for things to wear and didn't want to pay a lot of money for holiday clothes when they will be too big for my next holiday.
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Go to the thrift / consignment stores first! Look for local rummage sales! Don't pay full price until you are closer to goal. You could also take a couple tops and bottoms to a seamstress and see if they can take in enough to get them a bit more fitted.

My plan is to shop at thrift/consignment shops. I also donate all of my clothing to a local thrift shop in a poorer neighborhood.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Every few months I go through my clothes and get rid of stuff that either doesn't fit right or that I just don't wear. I have about 3 - 4 pairs of shorts I need to get rid of now. They fall down without a belt and just don't look good anymore even with a belt. At least shorts are not expensive to buy though. Most of my other clothes seem to be OK at this point, as I think I've already gone though them.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    It's difficult because you don't want to waste money on new things, knowing your size will most likely change smaller again. I just bought inexpensive things, definitely shop the sale racks. Once you get to goal, then you can replace the clothes with better brands
  • penelopeyvonne
    penelopeyvonne Posts: 97 Member
    Go treat yourself - and it will spur you on even further! I got rid of all my "fat clothes" and have had to do so again since doing that. I won't keep them "just because" - that's just a "get out".

You'll feel so much better in clothes that fit - I know I did - and the compliments you will get is another good reason :flowerforyou:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    My solution has been to buy from Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls (US) and Old Navy/Target. Old navy has stretchy cotton skirts that have a fold-over band instead of an elastic one. I have one that fit me when I was 30+ lbs heavier and will probably fit me to my goal weight. Cardigans also have a very wide margin of fitting. I have been buying target scoop or crew neck tshirts and I need to get new ones really every 20 lbs lost (my current ones look TERRIBLE on me but I've been covering up with a cardigan). Dresses are also pretty forgiving, especially in modern fashions (read: belted). I just got an adorable dress at Ross for $16.99. It's belted and meant to be a little baggy. As it gets baggier, I can tighten the belt. When it becomes frumpy-baggy, it has side panels (think colorblock) and non-stretchy material, so I could theoretically take the sides in.

If you do go with items that you would potentially want to have tailored later, look for side panels, no draping fabric, no stretchy fabric, and no patterns that have to line up across the sides. Those are harder (not impossible!) to have taken in.

I refuse to buy new trousers until I'm within 5-10 lbs of my goal weight.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    If you're not at your goal, hit up a thift store for interim clothing. Cheaper solution for the time being.
  • buzzardsrule
    buzzardsrule Posts: 182 Member
    I agree with what other posters have already said. It's best to buy a few things in the smaller size you are now. Get key pieces in the sales and see how you go. So far I've gone from a size from a UK size 14 to 12 and only kept things that fit loosely. Anything baggy I've got rid of.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Shopping !! :bigsmile:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    I too am reluctant to spend money of clothes until I reach my goal weight. Even if I "treat" myself with new clothes, within 6-10 weeks, they are too big for me. So I buy 2 pair of cheap jeans at Walmart/Target and shop at thrift stores for my shirts and tops, spending about $40 every other month or so. Luckily I work in a causal office and jeans and tops are acceptable.

However, when I DO reach my goal weight, I'm going to buy nice clothes for myself!!
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Everyone's said this already, but I wanted to add my vote for charity shops!

I have a strange relationship with my local charity shop - I go in there with a big bag full of clothes every couple of months, and come out with a few more things that actually fit. I wear those for a few months, and then I'm back in the charity shop with them in a bag and getting a smaller size! It's like a clothes rental shop. Clothes on short-term loan. :laugh:
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Get some, it will motivate you even more! Try the clearance racks at Target and Kohls, consignment stores or Savers, that way you're not spending a ton if you expect you'll still be losing :happy: