Trying to lose to stay in the Army- Need Friends!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm 30 years old and have always had a weight struggle. I tend to lose weight and then gain it back and then repeat. I am a pretty healthy person and have been in the U.S. Army for 7 years. However I have now gotten above army weight standards and am afraid I will get kicked out if I don't get it under control. I need to drop 5 pounds to meet army weight requirements but my overall goal would be to lose around 25 pounds total. I could really use some friends on here to help keep me on track.

Replies

• feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Feel your pain. I'm preggo and have a PT test/tape test 6 months post partum :indifferent: I don't know if I can shrink my waist that fast and lord knows I haven't been doing pushups/running/sit-ups with this big ole' baby belly so really I'm afraid of the whole dang test....I WISH I only will have 5lbs to lose lol! You can do it :flowerforyou: !!!!!!!
  • nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I am on a massive weight lose program, 30KG is my goal. But I feel you. I worked as a civilian for years for the Navy.
    And I too have gone up and down. I also have had a great many friends in the military, and all of them did the same thing. And it is hard.

They asked to join morning exercise with one of the special forces groups. Do not know your level or what post you are stations. But I joined the morning workout with the Marines while on the Navy Base. I have a friend that did workouts with the Seals. And I had a Army friend that asked and was coached by the green beret.

But you can also get a great deal of support here as well.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    From my personal and reading experience, the people who lose and gain are the ones who try to be super strict (eating well under their maintenance calories/TDEE) to lose the weight quickly and then go back to eating how they used to and gain the weight back. The best way from my own experience and reading of others is to lose it slowly and by eating the way you want for the rest of your life - not a diet in the sense of short-term change, but a lifestyle.

The one thing I would definitely read is this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and have been in your shoes. I am more on the heavy set side and struggled with my weight standards in the Navy for some time now (since I had a baby).
    MFP encouraged me to loose weight and as you stated gained it all back (in the last 2 year - yoyoing before weight-ins). Now I wanted to stay at a low weight and started making lifestyle changes. I scrubbed my diet and changed my macros.

Since then I am constantly loosing weight (with a few bumps, but weight loss isn't linear). I am now at/below the weight limit for my height and feel great. On some days I am below my calories and some days I am above it, but I have constantly a calorie deficit (calories in vs calories out). I also wear a bodymedia device, which records my calorie burn, even it doesn't recognize that during the day I wear most of the time 18-24lbs of gear (it is like you are walking all day with a weight vest some people use for work outs). It helps me to see the statistics and plan my meals through-out the day/week.
    I also increased my work out (more consistency) and put more effort into it. The Navy has a "Fitness Enhancement Program" (FEP), which is mandatory if you failed your weight-ins or close to failing. I participate in it and I have more improved and lost more weight then some of my junior peers. It is quite encouraging for me to be faster and stronger then younger folks half my age.
    I don't know if the Army has a similar program. Maybe you could volunteerly enroll???

Add me as a friend if you would like and best of luck.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I was in the Army for nine years so I know that struggle all too well. Feel free to add me!
  • thunderwoods
    thunderwoods Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    OMG, you all made my cry, BOTH of my kids are currently in Nat'l Guard Boot Camp and both were slightly overweight when they went in, now I am hearing they have shed the weight (mind you, DS is 17 yrs and DD is 19 yrs so they still have the wicked metabolism on their side)

So now it is my turn, as I am currently carrying a "rucksack" in fat (about 30lbs overweight) and would like to be at least 10lbs lighter by the time they graduate in Sept.

Anyway, to the OP and the rest of you...keep going and THANK YOU for your service!!
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I've been in the Army for 21 years. You can add me if you want.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    13 1/2 years in the Army here.

Did you bust tape or just weight? If you're are over body fat % then just losing weight will not get you within the standard. Once enrolled in ABCP you have to actually meet the body fat %. Highly recommend doing a weight lifting program that focuses on compound movements on top of your regular PT and dieting.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Air Force here...and in the same boat. Feel free to add me.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just want to thank all on here for serving.
    I cannot begin to imagine the types of stress you encounter.
    And you have my complete support if you would like to add me :)
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My daughter ships out to Parris Island on Sept 22nd but has 5 lbs to lose or she won't pass MEPS, its frustrating because she has so much muscle. Her body fat is in the teens, meets all those standards, but not the weight. When she enlisted back in Feb, she did the sauna suit, running with saran wrap for 10 days to make weight and all that did was make her sick and in the hospital, not wanting to do that this time. Get to boot camp then straight to medic, ya that would be great.

So now shes on a strict diet and a strict no weights policy too. So during their 10-12 hrs of PT a week with the recuiters, shes doing all cardio. She's in the elite group with her IST also, so it just sucks for her. Makes me feel sad. Wish they would tape her, but they told us they won't to ship her off, but once shes in they would.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    OMG, you all made my cry, BOTH of my kids are currently in Nat'l Guard Boot Camp and both were slightly overweight when they went in, now I am hearing they have shed the weight (mind you, DS is 17 yrs and DD is 19 yrs so they still have the wicked metabolism on their side)

So now it is my turn, as I am currently carrying a "rucksack" in fat (about 30lbs overweight) and would like to be at least 10lbs lighter by the time they graduate in Sept.

Anyway, to the OP and the rest of you...keep going and THANK YOU for your service!!

Well, I lost in bootcamp 15lbs and was at my lowest as an adult. It is to keep in standards after boot camp. While in boot camp you have no access to food besides the three meals served. We will talk about it again after they are a while out of boot camp.
  • shootergirlnc
    shootergirlnc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My daughter ships out to Parris Island on Sept 22nd but has 5 lbs to lose or she won't pass MEPS, its frustrating because she has so much muscle. Her body fat is in the teens, meets all those standards, but not the weight. When she enlisted back in Feb, she did the sauna suit, running with saran wrap for 10 days to make weight and all that did was make her sick and in the hospital, not wanting to do that this time. Get to boot camp then straight to medic, ya that would be great.

So now shes on a strict diet and a strict no weights policy too. So during their 10-12 hrs of PT a week with the recuiters, shes doing all cardio. She's in the elite group with her IST also, so it just sucks for her. Makes me feel sad. Wish they would tape her, but they told us they won't to ship her off, but once shes in they would.

My husband's a Marine Corps Recruiter. I'll ask him if there's any loophole to this, or if her recruiter is correct with that info. I can message you any info he gives me, if you would like. Also, if you have any questions when she's at PI, feel free to message me!