Teachers on holiday.

Options
So I've just broken up for the (near) 6 weeks holidays. If I'm not careful I'll go from 'light activity' to 'sedentary' in the blink of an eye. (I'm very aware that all I've done so far today is get out of bed, throw some clothes on, come downstairs and sit on the sofa, go to the kitchen to make breakfast, and return to the sofa. I couldn't list all the things I'd have done by now if it was a school day!) I can't be the only teacher out there who is shattered from term time, and is finding it hard to motivate myself to be more active... So I thought I'd start this thread as a means of increasing my activity and accountability. Who wants to join me?

My aims for today:
Well not that much... It is the first day of my holidays!! I promise tomorrow'll be better.
I will go on my cross trainer though before lunch.

Ps - to take into account of the reduction in activity I have changed my mfp details accordingly. :)

I would like to be 10st7 for when I go back to school. (4.5lbs to go)

Replies

• IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I have just calculated that if my husband was to share my chocolates I received from my class, and I rationed them out to fit in with my calorie allowance (as I plan on doing) they will last me until the 25th August! :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your school break. Modify /decrease some of the foods you were eating in order to suit your calorie goals.
    (I would have to have the chocolates out of the house. You are braver than I am.)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Honestly? REST! You deserve it! You've just spent the whole year raising other people's children for them which is exhausting work. Let your body recover. :)
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in a similar position, although technically still at work. I am feeling very motivated by buying some new suits for September and was thinking of starting a Group along the lines of "Seven week September Slim Down" aimed at students and teachers wanting to stay focused throughout Summer with a goal of starting the academic year feeling and looking fitter.

Anyone interested?
  • 36Frieda
    36Frieda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher on break and my summer goal is to walk at least one hour a day. So far so good. I am a stress eater and summers have been great for loosing weight for me.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Just broken up (whooooo!) and I'm excited about all of the time we'll have now to go out and do stuff :bigsmile:

That was a really long final term and I found it got in the way of my workout routine - especially that last week, it really is exhausting isn't it!!?

I'm currently tapering for a big event this weekend, so going a little mad in terms of "confinement" but in relation to the next 6 weeks:

What I thought about doing was trying something new (like a new exercise class) every week for the 6 weeks - anyone wanna try it with me? :D
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    In answer to your question, I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to get some serious hours in at the gym, to eat salads and fruit whilst it's in season and to plan some tasty cooking.
    Options
    Honestly? REST! You deserve it! You've just spent the whole year raising other people's children for them which is exhausting work. Let your body recover. :)

Wow! I had not expected that.... your words actually brought a lump to my throat!! I guess I'm just too used to teacher bashing to know that some people out there do appreciate what we do :) So THANK YOU!!

Well I have achieved more than I set out for myself today. I have just done 60 mins on my cross trainer (low level, heart rate only going to 70% according to my HRM). PLUS I have done 1 load of washing!! :D Cue wife of the week award for me! Ha!!
    At least this way I should lose some weight over the hols.

Oh and a MASSIVE NSV for me - I was bought 6 cupcakes (130-140g each) as a thank you present. Prior for the last 94 days I would have scoffed them all, not shared any, and hidden all the evidence. Instead I've shared them with my husband and had 1 a night. Tonight will be the last of them :) I am sooo proud that I won that battle! Now to win the war!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the end of term, and happy break, teachers!

My dog and I are taking very long walks to celebrate the fact that I don't need to be in the car by 5:30....and I'm finishing my Masters. degree...and crocheting Christmas presents...just not all at the same time.

Camping. Two (!) short trips. And deep cleaning the house. And prepping classes for next year (one new book a week, that's all it will take, right?)
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm also a teacher and have been off since June 30th. I've been pretty good activity wise - I have to have my 10 000 steps a day so that's a motivator - I'm on day 100 streak today!

We went on a trip to NYC and there was TONS of walking there - I've started doing yoga after my runs as well. Running is a bit easier in the summer as it can be done the minute I get up... not after work when I'm dead tired!

The issue for me is eating... it's too easy to eat all day... which is why I HAVE to exercise!

You can do it!

Nat
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Try to get in a least a walk everyday.

If you're into it, try a getting a pedometer (you could do a fitbit or just a cheapo) and aim for a certain amount of steps everyday. I know that when I'm having a lazy day, when I check my steps and they're only at 3000, I know its time to go for a walk.
    Options
    Well today so far I've:
    Driven to the shops to get a birthday card. (Ok, could have walked but it's damn hot here).
    Put a new plug on an old fan (why did both of my fans have missing plugs?) aimed it at my cross trainer and did 45 mins. :)
    Am now about to settle down for the afternoon reading a book. Sat inside (hate sitting in direct sunlight) with all the windows and French doors open, lovely light breeze coming in, and barely more noise than the soft rustle of leaves moving and birds tweeting. :) bliss.