Swimsuit shopping...in the winter...

TaraMaria
TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
LOL...any suggestions? I've never ordered one from online before and I'm not too keen on the idea. I bought mine at the beginning of the summer but lost all of my weight by September. My gym has an amazing indoor pool that I want to take advantage of but my new swim suit of less then 6 months, is not working out by any means.

I'm thinking of checking out a sports store but I'm sure they will be ridiculously expensive. I don't need to swim in a NIKE swimming suit. I do laps and the such but I don't need to in style, just ya know, NOT nude. I was just wondering if anyone had success with a particular website when shopping? I feel like such a dork, I've never gone bathing suit shopping at my new size so I don't have a clue what size I would be...Am I just stuck with what I've got?? Attempting to not give anyone a peep show?

Egads...only I would ask a question like this...and only I would need a swimsuit right before it starts snowing in IL...

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    (I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years) Go into one of those sports stores & ask them to help fit you in a suit, then hum & haw over the price. They'll either offer you a discount or you'll walk away having a pretty good idea what size you should order from the internet. :)
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Ordering from Victorias secret is really easy and they really do fit well.

LOL...any suggestions? I've never ordered one from online before and I'm not too keen on the idea. I bought mine at the beginning of the summer but lost all of my weight by September. My gym has an amazing indoor pool that I want to take advantage of but my new swim suit of less then 6 months, is not working out by any means.

I'm thinking of checking out a sports store but I'm sure they will be ridiculously expensive. I don't need to swim in a NIKE swimming suit. I do laps and the such but I don't need to in style, just ya know, NOT nude. I was just wondering if anyone had success with a particular website when shopping? I feel like such a dork, I've never gone bathing suit shopping at my new size so I don't have a clue what size I would be...Am I just stuck with what I've got?? Attempting to not give anyone a peep show?

Egads...only I would ask a question like this...and only I would need a swimsuit right before it starts snowing in IL...
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    I saw some a week ago, at a local wal-mart. You might want to check out some local department stores. Congratulations on the need for a new suit before it snows! That is a huge accomplishment!!!!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    biggerbras.com is a pretty good website. I have had success with ordering from them. They have great sizing charts so you know what to order for each brand and the prices are not as bad as they could be. They also do have smaller sizes too.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    seconding the wal-mart vote...if you can find any there right now. Otherwise, Vickie's is the way to go!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Here's a few ideas...
    Lands End
    SwimOutlet.com
    Eddie Bauer

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/swimwear.html <~~and these? Just plain FUN to look at :tongue:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    If you go to www.speedousa.com they tend to have lots of discounts off season, especially on last year's designs. I prefer their swimsuits to actually swim in cause the stupid straps don't fall down like most other suits. Now for a suit that looks great on you fashion-wise, I always go to Victoria's Secret. Their suits have always been true to size according to their size charts, in my experience. I have so many bathing suits I could literally wear a different one for every day in July...some girls like shoes... :bigsmile:
  • (I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years) Go into one of those sports stores & ask them to help fit you in a suit, then hum & haw over the price. They'll either offer you a discount or you'll walk away having a pretty good idea what size you should order from the internet. :)

good info!

or...if you aren't concerned with style. get a pair of exercise shorts (spandex, tighter fitting) and a good (well fitting) exercise tank...use that as your swim suit. might be cheaper and give you more coverage.
    i have used a tennis skirt and bathing suit top for years. looking forward to wearing a real suit this coming year with my success in losing weight this summer/fall.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    When I started swimming lengths in university for recreation my first swim suit became too big (it was a tankini set) the second was an older swim suit and I wore right through it (it was time to toss when you could see my skin coming through bum of the black shorts, lol) so I bought a one piece suit from ebay (brand new with tags, and liner and all that). Its was actually a water polo swim suit (b/c it had a zipper in the back rather than the racer straps) but I bought based on price and spent about $15 after shipping to Canada for a $90 US suit.

Check out ebay but be sure to review sizing first. I just reviewed online but as suggested above you could always go to a store just to figure out the size then go buy on ebay.

Racing suits are the best, it actually took off 4 inches once it was on and unlike competitive swimmers I did not buy a size smaller.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    I have so many bathing suits I could literally wear a different one for every day in July...some girls like shoes... :bigsmile:

Me too! Ok you may have more though, I finally reduced my collection down to about 10 this year by getting rid of some old ones that were too big. My mother-in-law bought me one from VS this year and I have to tell you I really don't like it. The material and fit feels very cheap, worse than Walmart brands. I prefer the side-tie bottoms b/c they elongate my torso more (I'm all legs, 5'8) since I'm flat in the front and wider in the sides and they only have that side-tie loop option unless you get one of their little triangle suit sets with skinny sides and top straps but those tops don't support anything larger than an A cup so that’s not an option.

Oh well! I'll stick to my wonderful sales, my 10 suits cost less than $200 total and that includes Hot Kiss and 2 Juicy Couture. The Ed Hardy one is fake though but identical in style/colour it’s just the material thickness that only I would notice that makes it obvious it is not a $220 bikini. It was $9 including shipping, an awesome purchase for my honeymoon last year "Eternal Love" is the version not the most popular "Love Kills Slowly" suit since that is not a good honeymoon message, ha ha!

Old Navy is always fun to shop at since I'm 1-2 sizes smaller there. I'm a medium normally but own an XS dress there and size S bikini's. Fun ego booster!

Dam, I have the photo of me in my Ed bikini at home comparing it to a photo I found of Heidi Montag wearing it (to show the quality not that I look like Heidi, skinny bit** she is lol!). Ah well, another day!
This discussion has been closed.