Canadian Air Force Exercise Program XBX

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie here. The only exercise I really get is my walk to work and back, a round trip of only 3 miles. My kids are of the age now where I don't run around like mad at home after them any more.

I have been counting my daily walks as exercise but today for the first time I did day one of the XBX Canadian Air Force exercises for women (only because I heard on Chris Evans radio show which I wake up to that Helen Mirren used them - yes, I am that sad that something Chris Evans said was acted upon!) If anyone is interested the link to the website i used is http://fit450.com/HTML/XBX_Intro.html

It is only 12 minutes (ish - I had to stop in between each exercise to reread the instructions for the next) but it did raise my heart rate and I plan on doing this every day as 12 minutes I can fit in to my life. Hopefully following the plan will gradually raise and maintain my fitness level as they are intended to.

I was wondering if anyone knows about these and had any idea how to count these as exercise. It is not something which is listed in the exercise database. I think some of the individual exercises will eventually fit into categories when I reach that point, but lots of them don't. Would it possibly be regarded as aerobics or calisthenics? I really have no idea. I wondered if it was even worth putting in as it was only 12 minutes, but I have been reading some of the "Getting Started" threads and realised that eating back your exercise calories wasn't really optional, more the intended goal.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• cinnamon009
    cinnamon009 Posts: 15 Member
    The only thing I would comment is that the media have picked up on what Helen Mirren said and spun it into a something which warps what she actually said.

If you read the interview where she discusses the Canadian Airforce exercises, she says that she does them for just a couple of weeks when she is feeling too unfit to go to the gym and feels like they gently get her up to a level where she then feels happy going back to the gym and her normal routine. She never said this is all she ever does to get fit and trim.

So despite the media flurry around this, 12 minutes a day is not going to get you looking like Helen Mirren. It might help get your fitness started but you then ideally need to progress to longer work outs about three times a week or some high impact interval training for shorter periods.

IMO, Eating back your exercise calories is only really where you are doing long intense exercise such that not doing so would be harmful. I only eat back where I have done an intense session not the calories I burn from my 15 minute cycle to and from the station.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Canada has an Air Force?

The number of Americans who think Canada is some kind of 3rd world country never fail to amaze me.

and we all live in igloos & take dog sleds to work! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To the OP, the XBX program was designed to help female military members reach and maintain the fitness requirement for active service. It's a great "entry-level" type of program if you're tight for time, space and equipment.

As to eating back calories it's probably not something to worry about until your sessions get longer and / or more intense as a 12 minute session isn't going to burn a lot of calories (more of you were doing a high intensity interval program)

A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step, and this is a good first step.
  • missionalman
    missionalman Posts: 383 Member
    looks neat! I'll have to try it!
  • lstockham39
    lstockham39 Posts: 26 Member
    I've also read about this as a starting point for my exercise program. I am the girl that has a thousand exercise videos on the shelves (still in plastic wrapper), articles printed out about what exercise is best to do, etc.... but have never lifted a finger to exercise in my whole life. I think this is doable: 12 minutes a day I can handle... although reading the directions, I'm confused. It says that you should do the whole set of exercises in 12 minutes. It also says to do that level for so many days and then move up to the next level. My question is, say I get to the last "day" of my certain level and I'm still not progressed to doing all the exercises in 12 minutes. Should I stick to that current level until I can get all exercises in, in 12 minutes?? Or should I move to the next level on the day that it says? I know any activity is better than no activity, but being completely clueless about exercise I want to do this right. Does this make sense? Any thoughts?
  • morkirlan
    morkirlan Posts: 12
    Brilliant, thanks everyone for your help! I will just ignore this in my exercise diary. I am still very new here and overthinking everything.

I am quite excited about the exercise programme - as was said above it is a great "entry-level" programme which is exactly what I need.

To the poster above who wondered what to do if she reached the appropriate level and couldn't complete in 12 minutes - I had understood that the minimum number of days to stay on each level was just that, a minimum, and that you remained on that level until you could complete in 12 minutes before moving to the next level.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Hope you realize that those exercises that Helen is talking about is from the 1950's?
  • lstockham39
    lstockham39 Posts: 26 Member
    Hope you realize that those exercises that Helen is talking about is from the 1950's?

Yes, but they are exercises nonetheless... better then nothing. :)
  • siriuslyyellow
    siriuslyyellow Posts: 17 Member
    Hi everyone!

I am planning on starting the Canadian Air Force XBX excersize routine. I would like to log it in my excersize journal, but I have no idea how many calories it burns, and it doesn't come up when I search it. The first two individual excersizes of it that I searched also did not come up.

Does anyone know how many calories it burns?

I'm thinking I could just log it as 12 minutes of aerobics, or possibly 6 minutes of aerobics and 6 minutes of strength training. If there's not a better option, that is.

Thoughts? Thanks!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I have done them in the past, and they are a good way to build up your fitness. (I have the original pamphlet, I think.) There is a category here at MFP of "calisthenics, home, light to moderate" that would probably work for logging your calories. Since the program is only 10-15 minutes a day, you won't burn that many calories, but for overall fitness, it's a good way to start. If you can, I would add a 15 or more minutes of aerobics - whether Leslie Sansome or something you do on your own to music to burn more calories.
  • siriuslyyellow
    siriuslyyellow Posts: 17 Member
    I have done them in the past, and they are a good way to build up your fitness. (I have the original pamphlet, I think.) There is a category here at MFP of "calisthenics, home, light to moderate" that would probably work for logging your calories. Since the program is only 10-15 minutes a day, you won't burn that many calories, but for overall fitness, it's a good way to start. If you can, I would add a 15 or more minutes of aerobics - whether Leslie Sansome or something you do on your own to music to burn more calories.

I'll log it like that. Thank you! :smile:
  • loisdsnow
    loisdsnow Posts: 12 Member
    I’m glad to have run across this topic. I used the Royal Canadian Air Gorce exercise program a few years back and it was a great way to build strength and take off a few pounds. I am going to incorporate it back into my exercise routine again. I don’t know his yo calculate calories burned from this but I would appreciate suggestions!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Holy Necro thread, I was just thinking about these programs a few days back.

But. XBX/9BX/etc are great basic programs for what they're designed for. And they've held up despite their age.

If you've only got 10-30 minutes a day. They will get you to a basic well rounded fitness level.
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm interested ... Do you want to make a challenge group?? I am happy to start Level 1 tomorrow.
  • eminater
    2/23 - Level 1, Round 1 - TOTAL TIME: 10 mins
    Day 1:
    Section 1 Goal 2 mins Actual: 2'07"
    Section 2a Goal 7 mins Actual: 2'51"
    Section 2b 3 mins running completed 3 full reps of 50 + 10
    Section 3 Goal 2 mins Actual: 2'
    Total time - 10 mins, felt like a mini workout.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hahaha. I opened the thread, then the link, and thought, I remember seeing this a couple of years ago. Looked at the date- same thread.

Glad it has been resurrected. I think it is a great little routine to start with, and even a nice little routine to start your morning, take with you when travelling, get some exercise in when poorly, etc etc.

The first time I saw it I meant to send it to my sisters who are a bit exercise adverse, this time, its bookmarked and I will.

If this is your first routine, work towards completing the exercises with good form in the time allotted.
    Don't worry if it takes a lot longer and you have to modify to begin with.

Completing as written is a good goal in itself.

Once that is accomplished for the set number of days, it is time to move on to the next level.

Cheers, h.
  • eminater
    If this is your first routine, work towards completing the exercises with good form in the time allotted.
    Don't worry if it takes a lot longer and you have to modify to begin with.

Completing as written is a good goal in itself.

Once that is accomplished for the set number of days, it is time to move on to the next level.

Cheers, h.

I started my morning with Level 1, it is was pitched perfectly for me. I wasn't rushing but I want to record the times to make sure I am within a reasonable limit of the max time. I am looking forward to tomorrow mornings session.

I was thinking OP might start a challenge group, but yeah, looks like this is a few years old haha
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I'm retired RCAF and I've never heard of this unless it was some old program from pre-integration. RCAF is now a component of the Canadian Armed Forces and has been since the late 60's and uses the CAF fitness standards applied to all three elements (air, navy, and army).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm retired RCAF and I've never heard of this unless it was some old program from pre-integration. RCAF is now a component of the Canadian Armed Forces and has been since the late 60's and uses the CAF fitness standards applied to all three elements (air, navy, and army).

Well you learn something new about some one everyday :) never realized you were a Canuck.

It looks earlier than the 1960's. I imagine 'Dad's Army' doing it. (Old UK tv comedy about WWII home guard)

Cheers, h.