Big Anniversary Dinner >/< Big Weight loss Goal

Options
So I have my 3-year anniversary dinner tomorrow. Normally, we go out of town and do something nice, but funds are low, so we're going out to eat at a nice restaurant instead (Ruth Chris'). Because of that, I kind of want to enjoy myself at dinner (definitely having a steak) and want to have a cheese plate after (any way of making that healthier?). But I also have a big weight loss goal coming up relatively soon.

So I guess my question is, does anyone have any strategies for me to eat/exercise the rest of the day in order to compensate for something like that without messing up my goal as much?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    save up cals earlier in the day, go for a long run on the day of and day after. one meal doesnt make all that much difference though, if you skipped breakfast and had a big dinner it would probably even out
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day are you trying to stay under? Eat as BIG of a steak as you can, a house salad with mainly vinegar as dressing (ask for oil and vinegar, not dressing) and a couple ounces of cheese. Sounds like dinner to me. Shouldn't break the calorie bank.

Also, if this is once a year, just do it. Enjoy it, eat however you want. Log it as best you can. Don't weigh yourself for 4 days.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You don't have to "make up" all those calories in the same day.

Look at your calories on a weekly level instead and spread out the necessary savings.
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water and maybe some green tea, eat lightly for a day before and after (but don't starve yourself! just plenty of greens & fruits), and get some physical activity. You deserve a "treat meal" especially for a special occasion like this. Don't stress about it =) Besides maybe some bloating and water retention from extra sodium or carbs, you probably will not notice a difference in your progress
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    1) celebrating your anniversary isn't going to negate the weight loss you've had. You will gain water weight for a couple of days then go back to normal, so "eat up" for that ONE MEAL and enjoy it, then get back on track the next day.

2)Otherwise, a grilled steak (without sauces & toppings) with a salad and some steamed veggies is actually a healthy dinner. Just watch the butter that they always want to put on the steamed veggies and steak - most restaurants will serve it without the butter if you ask. There really isn't anything you can do to make the cheese plate any better.

If you absolutely must stay on track, here is what I would do:
    - Go do an hour of cardio before the dinner that day.
    - All meals/snacks before dinner should be nothing but lean protein and green leafy veggies - Think Panera Classic Salad with Chicken, no cheese, croutons or dressing or coffee and egg whites, etc.

This should keep your calories before your big meal below ~400-500 and with the exercise you will likely be netting close to 0, so you can splurge at dinner relatively guilt free.

Even doing that your weight will likely spike for a couple of days, though.
  • jennahaines108
    jennahaines108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! And I know one day won't kill everything, but I just want to make sure I don't throw off any progress. But I definitely have to keep in mind that they're will be a temporary jump in water weight regardless. Within the realm of cheese being relatively unhealthy, any cheeses that are a little healthier?

And GauchoMark, congrats on 108 pounds! Not only is that crazy awesome, that's a good Shaolin number.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Within the realm of cheese being relatively unhealthy, any cheeses that are a little healthier?

I simply don't agree that cheese is unhealthy. It's a fine source of calcium, protein and many aged and raw cheeses have probiotics.