Practice 5K Run..........

StacLegg
StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I am running / walking a Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving morning with my family and some friends! :laugh: So this morning my girlfriend and I got up at 4:30am and went to the gym and did a practice 5K on the treadmill! We finished at 42 minutes......
ugh oh! :noway:
Its gonna kill us running it outside in 29 degrees and wind! lol I'm just hoping we can finish it under 45 minutes!!!!!!!!!

Wish us luck!!!! here's too all the Turkey Trot Runners!!!!!!! :drinker:

Wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving ~ We all have so much to be thankful for!! I'm Thankful for all of you, for your support, encouragement, for helping me stay focused and on track.... and for believing in me! It is so nice to know that I am not alone in this!!

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    You won't believe it but you will actually go faster when you are doing your 5k then what you do on a treadmill as you are in a large group. I bet you finish around 38-39 minutes.
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    I agree with MM. you might surprise yourself in the race.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Ruth I sure hope you are right............. :bigsmile:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    When I did my first one I was hoping for 40 mins and I came in at 37:45 and that was with run/walking. Just put your head phones on and find someone going about the same speed as you and pace yourself behind them.
  • karlamw
    karlamw Posts: 17 Member
    Good Luck :)))) You will do GREAT :)))):flowerforyou:
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Good luck!! I'll be Turkey Trotting too :-D
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Relax and think about finishing. Push yourself but dont go out with too fast of a start. About a 1/2 -1 mile in try to find someone running a slightly faster pace and stay with them. You will probably finish ~2 minutes faster than what you train. HEADPHONES BEWARE. Many races do not allow those and will disqualify you. Be sure to read the entry and even ask...
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    One thing you can not factor in on a treadmill is the race atmosphere. When the race starts, you will get a shot of adrenaline that will probably carry you through that first mile at a pace you are not accustom to. My first mile split in the last 5k i ran 9:00, and my typical mile time ranges from 10:45-11:30 depending on course and conditions. It's different running in a big throng of people.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    VERY INTERESTING, GD LUCK. I PLAN 2 BURN AT LEAST 500 CAL TG DAY. CHEERING 4U:smokin:
This discussion has been closed.