Sugar stops fat loss???

Options

Replies

• Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hmm....that must be why fruit is universally regarded as unhealthy.

:huh:
    Fruit in not "universally" unhealthy. It contains fiber and vitamins but the "sugar is the devil" group does latch on to their sugar count.
    19f219a6-a429-48ee-965b-4ba924c25561_zps611652b5.jpg
  • Archer9304
    Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that sugar (especially refined sugar) triggers more sugar cravings. The more you crave the less likely you are to stick to your nutritional or caloric goals which may hinder your weight loss/fat loss. My experience is that when I limit refined sugars or refined carbs (that ultimately turn to sugar in your body), I crave less and I stay on track. Just my opinion and experience!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcr7_i35o03t2RaLbVHpkPamd1n6J35hPTYx38kAdX2V2mlR12
    its actually quite true. same goes for carbs and salty foods in my experience

I don't know about the carbs. I eat brown everything. For the fibre. Don't eat refined carbs too often...unless you count the all evil potato! Lol.

But again, it's not because white carbs are bad, I just need the fibre for better digestion. Whole grain carbs seems to have more fibre than vegetables.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Fruit in not "universally" unhealthy. It contains fiber and vitamins but the "sugar is the devil" group does latch on to their sugar count.

I took it as sarcasm.

Inorite?

While some things on the Internet would benefit from a sarcasm font, I assumed that some things naturally wouldn't need one.
    i-imgur-com-ive-made-a-huge-mistake.gif?w=784&h=442
  • Archer9304
    Options
    You guys are awesome :tongue: and you truely and genuinely know more than my dietician. :huh:

It's shameful to the dietitian, I know.

Can her. Why pay for bad advice when MFP gives better advice for free?

I walked out the door in the middle of my first appointment when she started telling me I need to cut out bread and carbs, fats and sugar...I am NOT giving up my bread and butter, my full fat milk, or my sugar which is the most important macro!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

I took it as sarcasm.

Inorite?

While some things on the Internet would benefit from a sarcasm font, I assumed that some things naturally wouldn't need one.

I never assume anything when a "sugar" thread is involved. :laugh:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

I took it as sarcasm.

Inorite?

:drinker: <--and yes, that is a sugar-free drink!
  • Archer9304
    Options

I took it as sarcasm.

Inorite?

:drinker: <--and yes, that is a sugar-free drink!

**GASP** Aspartame!!! THE HORROR!!!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    If that was the case I wouldn't have lost all the weight I did.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    This is a new one to me.

And I don't believe it.

Hence I'm asking for opinions and not jumping off the bridge at the order of a fitness instructor. Because I am in love with candy and sweets.

She said this morning that eating too much sugar...and eating too much artificial sweeteners....causes fat loss to stop. Now this is important...FAT loss, NOT weight loss.

Weight loss being the number on the scale...and fat loss being bodyfat%.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Your dietician could be saying it this way because the body processes the available sugars in the blood first prior to the body fat when your body needs fuel. So in a sense, it does stop the fat loss (sugar and carb intake translates practically straight into blood sugars), because your body will have enough available sugars floating around to use as fuel when you eat sugars (don't know about the artificial stuff though). If you stay within your caloric goal with or without sugars, your body will need to process fats back into sugars to use for fueling your body.

Eating a lot of refined sugars (as a diabetic or prediabetic), will spike and then plummet your blood sugar which could result in feeling hungry, unwanted cravings, or the shakes or any other number of side effects. Hope this helps! I've done my research for keeping diabetes away as long as possible. Although the dietary sugar goal is kind of hard to stick to (even when I'm watching the numbers), keeping as close to it isn't a bad thing.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    HA if this was true I wouldn't have lost a single pound. I love me some sweets.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that sugar (especially refined sugar) triggers more sugar cravings. The more you crave the less likely you are to stick to your nutritional or caloric goals which may hinder your weight loss/fat loss. My experience is that when I limit refined sugars or refined carbs (that ultimately turn to sugar in your body), I crave less and I stay on track. Just my opinion and experience!

But I like my cravings. Because I like sugar. Some days I eat sweets the whole day. no food. then the rest of the week, I eat healthy again and STILL include a treat. EVERY. FRIGGEN. DAY.

Okayyyy.. so. Wait. Why are you seeing a trainer again? I mean you obviously have it all figured out - and everything is working perfectly... that's why you're paying someone to tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing? Now asking a public forum?

You're right. Just keep doing what you've always done, I'm sure your body will begin to respond differently.
  • Archer9304
    Options
    Your dietician could be saying it this way because the body processes the available sugars in the blood first prior to the body fat when your body needs fuel.

This is true with any food not just sugar and carbs. That's why some people have success with fasting because when they are in a fasted state their body uses the stored fuel because they haven't "refueled" by eating anything yet.
  • Archer9304
    Options

But I like my cravings. Because I like sugar. Some days I eat sweets the whole day. no food. then the rest of the week, I eat healthy again and STILL include a treat. EVERY. FRIGGEN. DAY.

Okayyyy.. so. Wait. Why are you seeing a trainer again? I mean you obviously have it all figured out - and everything is working perfectly... that's why you're paying someone to tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing? Now asking a public forum?

You're right. Just keep doing what you've always done, I'm sure your body will begin to respond differently.

Because I started doing a gym class. This topic just happened to come up.

ETA : I knew sugar doesn't stop weight loss..but I was asking about fat loss...they are different.
  • zenmohawk
    zenmohawk Posts: 4
    Options
    This holds true for me as well. I've battled my 'over" weight for a couple of years now:( I am a sugar lover. i have gained weight due to my poor eating habits and lack of exercise. On times I've set out to lose, I must give up sweet treats in order to stay on track. Now that being said, I log everything I eat and do so honestly. It works to keep myself accountable. I do eat foods with sugar in them such as fruit, a bit of coffee creamer with my tea, and leave the donuts and treats out of my diet. I don't crave the sugar if i don't eat it. So.... as far as the losing weight and losing fat, that is a bit confusing. If I lose say 10 pounds, did I not lose fat? What did I lose then? I know there is some water loss and I know there is some muscle loss. But ultimately when we lose weight over a period of time due to diet and exercise we are losing fat or we wouldn't be getting smaller. So now that I've rambled on forever, good luck to those who are reading this on getting healthy and losing weight:) Try to minimize refined sugar and processed foods with it. If your personal body/diet plan allows, enjoy fruit and as an occasional treat a small sugar reward.
  • Archer9304
    Options
    So.... as far as the losing weight and losing fat, that is a bit confusing. If I lose say 10 pounds, did I not lose fat? What did I lose then? I know there is some water loss and I know there is some muscle loss. But ultimately when we lose weight over a period of time due to diet and exercise we are losing fat or we wouldn't be getting smaller.

She was talking specifically about bodyfat %. essentially saying eating too much sugar might make you lose weight, but you won't be able to lower body fat as much as when you don't eat a lot of sugar.

ETA : So when you eat a lot of sugar...you lose more muscle and water and retain more fat....but when you eat less sugar, you don't retain fat and lose more actual fat besides the muscle and water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    considering I lost 40 Lbs all the while consuming sugar, I'm calling bull ****...and most of my weight loss was fat loss...so yeah, bull ****.

I take in around 80 - 100 grams on average. I love fruit, especially in the summer.
  • Archer9304
    Options
    considering I lost 40 Lbs all the while consuming sugar, I'm calling bull ****...and most of my weight loss was fat loss...so yeah, bull ****.

I take in around 80 - 100 grams on average. I love fruit, especially in the summer.

I'm over sugar by 200 on some days :blushing:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    This is a new one to me.

And I don't believe it.

Hence I'm asking for opinions and not jumping off the bridge at the order of a fitness instructor. Because I am in love with candy and sweets.

She said this morning that eating too much sugar...and eating too much artificial sweeteners....causes fat loss to stop. Now this is important...FAT loss, NOT weight loss.

Weight loss being the number on the scale...and fat loss being bodyfat%.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Your dietician could be saying it this way because the body processes the available sugars in the blood first prior to the body fat when your body needs fuel. So in a sense, it does stop the fat loss (sugar and carb intake translates practically straight into blood sugars), because your body will have enough available sugars floating around to use as fuel when you eat sugars (don't know about the artificial stuff though). If you stay within your caloric goal with or without sugars, your body will need to process fats back into sugars to use for fueling your body.

Eating a lot of refined sugars (as a diabetic or prediabetic), will spike and then plummet your blood sugar which could result in feeling hungry, unwanted cravings, or the shakes or any other number of side effects. Hope this helps! I've done my research for keeping diabetes away as long as possible. Although the dietary sugar goal is kind of hard to stick to (even when I'm watching the numbers), keeping as close to it isn't a bad thing.

Yes, if you are (pre)diabetic, you need to watch all carbs. Eat to your meter. But there is no evidence that sugar or carbs actually cause diabetes. Basically, we don't know what causes diabetes.

I am prediabetic, and I track carbs, not sugars (when I track, which I don't currently).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So.... as far as the losing weight and losing fat, that is a bit confusing. If I lose say 10 pounds, did I not lose fat? What did I lose then? I know there is some water loss and I know there is some muscle loss. But ultimately when we lose weight over a period of time due to diet and exercise we are losing fat or we wouldn't be getting smaller.

She was talking specifically about bodyfat %. essentially saying eating too much sugar might make you lose weight, but you won't be able to lower body fat as much as when you don't eat a lot of sugar.

ETA : So when you eat a lot of sugar...you lose more muscle and water and retain more fat....but when you eat less sugar, you don't retain fat and lose more actual fat besides the muscle and water.

This is only true when you eat so much sugar and carbs that it takes away from you eating enough protein. Even with weight loss, you will still have fat loss. But with pure fat loss, you need to worry about muscle retention which requires resistance training and adequate protein levels, which are around .8-1g per lb of lean body mass. Sugar in and by itself, will not prevent fat loss or weight loss, but if it robs you of getting protein or even fats for satiety, then you have to evaluate your diet.