No carb/no sugar diet

Options

Replies

• beldenc
    beldenc Posts: 10
    Options
    I have to ask.....was this a real doctor you saw?

The leaky gut syndrome & candida overgrowth rang alarm bells......

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/candida-and-fake-illnesses/

I just read this article and was wondering if you actually read the whole thing or stopped at the title and decided to share? Perhaps one of the biggest mistakes you can make, especially when trying to prove a point. This article is about the fact that chronic candidiasis and the claim that it can have an effect on your whole body and can lead to illness and disease such as cancer, asthma, sexual dysfunction and others mentioned are fake and not medically proven. They DO NOT deny the fact that candida overgrowth is real and as they say "can, however, become an infection, usually at times of stress or immunocompromise." I did not make any of the claims that this article has stated as examples of it being a fake illness.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Please do get a second opinion. The fact that she made this diagnosis based only on blood and urine tests is very concerning. Simple put, blood and urine alone can't tell you enough about what is occurring in your digestive tract.

I personally know a woman who accepted one of these candida diagnoses a year and the "treatments" that she has gone through since then have been horrendous. It has gotten to the point that she has been told she can eat only 10 different foods, she is getting multiple hydrogen peroxide IVs each week and she has various "remedies" that she takes by nebulizer. In addition to leaving her exhausted, underweight and coughing, the treatments have costs her a small fortunate because they are not covered by insurance.
  • arielle1823
    arielle1823 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, you can try the Atkins page , its a no carb and sugar diet plan. On there page there are lots of delicious food choices that are low in carbs. Hope I helped a lil :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I just read this article and was wondering if you actually read the whole thing or stopped at the title and decided to share? Perhaps one of the biggest mistakes you can make, especially when trying to prove a point. This article is about the fact that chronic candidiasis and the claim that it can have an effect on your whole body and can lead to illness and disease such as cancer, asthma, sexual dysfunction and others mentioned are fake and not medically proven. They DO NOT deny the fact that candida overgrowth is real and as they say "can, however, become an infection, usually at times of stress or immunocompromise." I did not make any of the claims that this article has stated as examples of it being a fake illness.

Errrr, yes, but it then manifests orally or vaginally and is rarely systemic and then only in severe cases with those who already compromised immune systems. Those aren't your symptoms unless you have left information out of this thread.

You can't blame people for being sceptical...
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    The diet will be hard for some people like my self.. If I don't have enough of it during the day ( sugar) I will crave a lot of it at night.

Are you a vegetarian or a vegan ?

You can alway have the following Zucchini, Eggplant, cabbage, lettuce, mushrooms as you can have a cup of that and still only be 16 calories = 4 grams of carbs

Protein - Tofu, Beans, Whey,

Expect to Pea alot.. apparently carbs hold so much water. when you lower your carb intake you lower your water weight
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

It's saying that it's extremely rare for it to be a system infection:
    Candida can also rarely cause serious systemic infection, but this is mostly restricted to those with compromised immune systems, such as patients undergoing chemotherapy or with advanced AIDS.

Candida became the focus of a fake illness beginning in 1986 with the publication of The Yeast Connection by Dr. William Crook. In this book Crook proposed the idea that systemic candidiasis, or Candida hypersensitivity, was responsible for a host of common conditions and non-specific symptoms, such as fatigue, sexual dysfunction, asthma, and psoriasis.

Over 25 years later Candida hypersensitivity remains an unproven claim,
    but popular among “alternative” practitioners.

No one is saying they don't believe you. They're saying that this is an iffy diagnosis and it couldn't hurt to get a second opinion.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Is this a real doctor or a "healer" or "shaman?" LOL

EDIT:
    I was feeling lethargic, tired, moody, poor concentration and bloated

Also, based on your symptoms I diagnose you as female.

Because a little misogyny is just what this thread needed.

7929da73022df67bf8e6ef092c671d0c.jpg
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I would say no on the Carrots. Loaded with carbs and sugar.
    You don't eat meat of any kind? Or fish?
    I'm a low carber and there is no way to eat NO carbs and no sugar.
    Even vegetables have some carbs.

No, no meats at all! And no fish. Yeah I'm sure I can still eat SOME carbs, like those found in vegetables. I think I just have to stay away from the real sugary carbs which would only increase the yeast growth. Thanks!!

If you can't eat meats/fish, carbs, sugar... I'm having trouble thinking of anything you CAN eat!

Cauliflower. You can eat always eat that and substitute it for anything.

OP: Since it looks like this is short term, what about dairy? I saw someone ask if you were vegetarian or vegan. Since its digestive related how about yogurt? Will certain active cultures be able to reduce the amount of yeast you have faster than without eating it?

Non Fat Greek Yogurt is also an excellent source of protein.

ETA: If you arent an Ovo-lacto Vegetarian then it doesnt look like its going to be easy for you.

All I could find was this....

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/vegetarian/tp/Low-Carb-Vegetarian-Protein-Foods.htm

Which is kinda stupid since it lists Eggs as the first item. I thought Vegetarians do not eat meat, eggs or dairy? :ohwell:
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Do you have AIDS? Cancer? Are you severely immunocompromised?
    Have you recently undergone a course of broad-spectrum antibiotics?

If not, your doctor is probably a quack.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Have you recently had chemotherapy or been hospitalized and had a central line put in, massive doses of antibiotics, major surgery, or been fed through an IV? If not, it is extremely unlikely that you have systemic candidiasis. This is an extremely serious fungal infection and if you have it, you would likely be in the ICU.

It is a favorite diagnosis of alternative medicine practitioners, and I bought into it at one time, wasted a lot of money on herbal supplements, and endured an unnecessarily restrictive diet. I do still believe in many alternative therapies, such as some herbs, yoga, meditation, etc. but have grown a lot more cautious. (I went to an MD many years ago that diagnosed a urinary tract infection based on iridology - looking at the eye - and the urine test came back negative.)

The web can be soooo useful, but it also contains a wealth of misinformation. I try to stick to domains ending in .edu, .gov., or, occasionally, .org.

It would not hurt to cut out sugar and refined carbs, but all carbs - why? There is no medical or scientific reason I know of for doing so.
  • beldenc
    Options
    While I appreciate everyones input and it has made me look more closely at what my doctor has told me, I am allowed to believe what I believe, regardless of whether it is a "holistic" approach or not. I have been suffering from painful bloating since early June and this doctor was the third doctor I saw for it and the only one who ordered ANY type of test. Before anyone says "maybe its your diet or exercise routine" I eat a clean, vegetarian diet and workout 5-6 times a week and used this website to lose over 20 lbs last summer. I consider myself I pretty healthy person now and love to use this website to read up on health, diet and fitness. This post has turned into something that could have been said with one persons skepticism, but instead people like to insult my doctor using the word "quack" and putting a negative connotation on the titles "shaman" and "healer". She is none of those things whether you believe me or not, but she is a doctor that has given me SOME suggestion on how to feel more physically comfortable. I believe one of the purposes of this website is to create a community focused around supporting peoples (healthy) diet and lifestyle decisions if it will improve their weight, health, self-esteem, comfortability or whatever it may be that's bringing them here. I was excited that I may have an answer to my bloating problem and to post about it in order to get some good ideas, but after reading some of your posts, I felt again like there was nothing wrong with me and I am simply just going to be this way.

I understand now, through the people who have answered my question, that I cannot eliminate ALL carbs because I would be eating nothing being a vegetarian. Whether candida overgrowth is widely accepted in the medical field or not, I am open to eliminating some of the potential causes to my discomfort suggested by my doctor. If you woke up uncomfortable everyday wouldn't you want to do something about it? If it works, then it works, but I would appreciate it if I was no longer discouraged by your google searches. Thanks!!
  • beldenc
    Options
    Have you recently had chemotherapy or been hospitalized and had a central line put in, massive doses of antibiotics, major surgery, or been fed through an IV? If not, it is extremely unlikely that you have systemic candidiasis. This is an extremely serious fungal infection and if you have it, you would likely be in the ICU.

It is a favorite diagnosis of alternative medicine practitioners, and I bought into it at one time, wasted a lot of money on herbal supplements, and endured an unnecessarily restrictive diet. I do still believe in many alternative therapies, such as some herbs, yoga, meditation, etc. but have grown a lot more cautious. (I went to an MD many years ago that diagnosed a urinary tract infection based on iridology - looking at the eye - and the urine test came back negative.)

The web can be soooo useful, but it also contains a wealth of misinformation. I try to stick to domains ending in .edu, .gov., or, occasionally, .org.

It would not hurt to cut out sugar and refined carbs, but all carbs - why? There is no medical or scientific reason I know of for doing so.

I went to this doctor, like i stated earlier to figure out the levels of necessary vitamins in my system. Through my blood tests it was found that my B12 was at 169 when it should be greater than or equal to 800. That is extremely low. One of the functions of B12 is supporting a healthy immune system. Along with being so low in B12, a blood test also confirmed that I have one copy of c677T gene mutation or known as MTHFR. MTHFR is an enzyme that is responsible for the process of methylation in every cell in your body and "When people with genetic mutations is MTHFR are exposed to toxins, they have a harder time getting rid of them which can cause some very serious illnesses." One process that MTHFR is responsible for is healthy immune system function. I got this information from http://doccarnahan.blogspot.com/2013/05/mthfr-gene-mutation-whats-big-deal.html Although from a blog, none of that is opinion its simply medical facts. I found ALL this out yesterday when I got my blood tests back. I do in-fact have a compromised immune system due this. i don't mean to explain myself so much, but i feel the need to with all this coming at me

but thanks for your input!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

EDIT:

nothing like calling out misogyny with misandry.
  • dbmata
    Options
    OP - who is your doctor?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

EDIT:

[ img ] you-don't-know-what-it-means.gif [ / img ]
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hi again beldenc,

The MTHFR gene is more related to heart health than immune system functioning. The C677T mutation is very common and, in most people, does not cause symptoms. Most common is a high homocysteine level.

From the NIH (National Institutes of Health):

The MTHFR gene provides the instructions for making the MTHFR enzyme, which plays a role in converting the amino acid homocysteine to methionine. A change in a gene is called a mutation or a polymorphism. Some changes in the MTHFR gene are very common, such as the C677T mutation or the A1298C mutation. These mutations result in a version of the MTHFR enzyme that has a mildly to moderately reduced function. There are also rare mutations in the MTHFR gene that severely impair the enzyme and cause a rare disease called homocystinuria.[1]

People with a personal or family history of heart disease or blood clots may be tested for the common MTHFR gene mutations. Because each person has two copies of the MTHFR gene, it is possible to have one or two MTHFR gene mutations. If you have two mutations, you are said to be homozygous. If you have one mutation, you are heterozygous. Individuals with two C677T mutations and people with one C677T and one A1298C mutation have an increased risk of developing blood clots. Having this increased risk does not mean that a person will develop a clot, as many people with MTHFR gene mutations never do.[1]

Here is a good site with more information on this gene: http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/MTHFR .

Regarding the painful bloating, have you had a checkup with your gynecologist?

Good luck.
  • dbmata
    Options

EDIT:

Ho ho, give it a thought... attacking a stereotype with another is precisely what was being called out. ;)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

EDIT:

Touche.

91959ae3f9ec5cce929607a2427ac534.jpg
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

EDIT:

Ho ho, give it a thought... attacking a stereotype with another is precisely what was being called out. ;)

I did think about it, which is why I responded as I did.

Her gif was of ONE woman 'hating on' ONE man, and is NOT an example of misandry.
    Yours was clearly directed at ALL females.

But I'm guessing you were just trying to be funny. :smile: