Worried about my butt!!!

Options
So the pounds have come off pretty easily so far by basically just giving up soda. I think I am ready to start exercising to compliment the change in my eating habits, but I'm worried I will lose my shape. I like my boobs and my butt and my hips. The only problem I have is in my stomach area after giving birth. I loooooove my butt lol. yes, it is big, but not wide and gross. It's my favorite thing about my body! I really want to be able to keep it after losing weight in my stomach. (I know there is no such thing as targeting fat) I tried to google for butt exercises, but so much of it is people trying to lose their butts, not keep it or make it bigger. Growing up I had a friend in gymnastics who had THE BEST BUTT so it must be possible? lol I'm sure this post comes off a bit ridiculous, but I am dead serious.

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    fat will come off where it wants to. you cant spot reduce and pick and choose where it comes off. but don't worry - you can do squats and step machine, walking at inclines, etc for the glutes
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    T&A were the first things that I lost. but with good workouts, both have come back in an amazing way. you just gotta love what you got. :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Squats

There is also a workout called "The Butt Bible" (you can find it on youtube).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    My boobs disappeared when my body fat got really low (below 20%), but thanks to squats, lunges, hip thrusts and deadlifts my butt looks just as good as ever. Never lost my butt and it's still firm and perky.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting will retain the muscle in your butt as you lose, and of course the muscle is the best part, what gives it it's round shape. Squats, lunges, deadlifts, and even barbell hip thrusts if you really want to get serious about the butt. I've heard good things about Strong Curves (a book), but there's also New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women and Strong Lifts 5x5.
  • TheHeathBar
    TheHeathBar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    fat will come off where it wants to. you cant spot reduce and pick and choose where it comes off. but don't worry - you can do squats and step machine, walking at inclines, etc for the glutes

I know fat doesn't come off that way, I was trying to ask how to build the muscle after losing the fat I just did a poor job of it.

If walking at an incline helps I am ecstatic. I live on a huge hill that I already like to walk up for exercise.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Speed skating/roller derby has given me the most amazing butt I've ever had. High, round, firm, no visible cellulite anymore... every. single. woman. in roller derby has a better butt than before. I can't recommend it highly enough.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Lunges
    Deadlifts
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Weighted squats. Fill in the volume lost by losing fat with muscle.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You probably can't do much about your boobs, but you can start lifting to retain the muscles in your booty so that you don't end up flatter than you'd like.
  • TheHeathBar
    Options
    T&A were the first things that I lost. but with good workouts, both have come back in an amazing way. you just gotta love what you got. :)

Which workouts did you use that help the most? lol I would love to have nice T's again. I basically wrote them off already, but some posts around here are giving me some hope.
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    For the record, it's considered bad form to say that you like your boobs and butt and to not provide any photographic evidence.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    In for butt discussion.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do about the boobs, but doing heavy barbell squats, lunges, dead lifts, glute/ham raises, and a number of other lifts can certainly minimize butt damage.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Get yourself on a good lifting routine - one that includes a focus on your butt. Squats are great, and people should try to incorporate them into a routine, but they re more quad focused. Look at barbell hip thrusts and/or bridges.

Brett Contreras is a great resource - look into his "Strong Curves" routine.

As has been mentioned, there is not a lot you can do about the size of your boobs, other than cosmetic surgery.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Oh. hello. :laugh: :blushing:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    A second mention for Strong Curves. It is aimed at the aesthetics of glute building, but strength is there as well. Barbell hip thrusts included in with squats and deadlifts gave me the best shape enhancement.

There are many different lifts that can support the gluets and hamstring tie-in like lunges, glute bridges, bulgarian split squats, goblet squats, cable abductors, and various band exercises.

Check out Strong Curves. He has the 12 week programs available in PDF for free on his site: http://bretcontreras.com/strong-curves-a-womans-guide-to-building-a-better-butt-and-body-sample-and-coaching-consultation-giveaway/
  • TheHeathBar
    Options
    Thanks for all of the recommendations!! I'm going through the thread and checking them all out and bookmarking left and right. I've already wanted to start lifting anyway since I joined MFP!
  • TheHeathBar
    Options

Wow!! That is incredible. Great butt!