Most "unusual" pet you've ever had?

Options
fuzzysham
fuzzysham Posts: 75 Member
Not "that" unusual, but I've had a mouse and a rat, and they were by far the best pets I've ever had.

Besides the Chihuahua I have now, who is by far the best cuddler.

Replies

• _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I used to have a chinchilla
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Savannah monitor lizard. His name was Dog.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I have a baby Sulcata tortoise.
    ekrsaw.gif
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Chinchilla, mink, snakes (venomous even), alligator, and just about any other wild creature I could catch and sneak past my mother.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I had a guinea pig with a missing leg.
    We named him "cupcake jack"

He was 1/2 off at the pet store because of the missing limb.
    I'm now not supposed to buy discount pets anymore.

RIP Cupcake Jack-we miss you little buddy.
  • _m0lly
    _m0lly Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    We used to have a rabbit called Monday... if that counts.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I had a salamander in college.

Growing up I had all kinda of lizards, frogs, salamanders, snapping turtles, tortoises-- if you can find it in rural Arkansas I probably tried to keep one as a pet at some point.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    two hermit crabs named Harley and Joker
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I caught a wild dove once, kept it for a few months before setting it free.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Hermit crab - boring.

Hairless guinea pig - gross.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I've had a bunch of weird ones. Various Tarantulas, Red Eyed Tree Frogs, Scorpions.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have a turtle, a bearded dragon, a hedgehog and a dog... The dog is not terribly unusual, but she doesn't really know HOW to dog, so I think she's pretty special.

moon-moon.png

I used to have a bird and a ton of treefrogs. I was breeding mice with tumors for years. We kept a hissing cockroach as a pet for awhile.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Had a number of snakes as a kid. Garter snakes, blue racers, corn snakes, hognose snakes, and, my favorite, a DeKay's snake (little guy -- watching him wrestle an earthworm into submission was hilarious). Also had a few box turtles wandering the basement.

My mom was a very patient woman :-D
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've got 3 rats, and I'm in love with these pets! They're so cuddly and affectionate :)
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Had a goose which I put pampers on and let it come in the house !
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have never had a pet that was "unusual". I've only had cats. ( Cats have a special place in my heart always ). A few years back I had a blind cat, though. Her eyes were squinty and people said she looked unusual. She never acted unusual, except when certain people would come near and she would hiss. She was a sweetheart to me, but hated men for some reason. ( I felt bad for male friends who wanted to pet her ). Her name was "Cookie Monster" and she died in 2011.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I had a salamander in college.

Growing up I had all kinda of lizards, frogs, salamanders, snapping turtles, tortoises-- if you can find it in rural Arkansas I probably tried to keep one as a pet at some point.

That was me, but substitute Louisiana for Arkansas.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Fire bellied newt. Thing was left behind by my neighbors when they moved and I felt bad for it. When I googled how to take care of it I found out you couldn't touch it cause they had live salmonella on it :sick: That was just the way it was. Why anyone would have one as a pet...no clue it was pretty boring and not that pretty.
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    3 Nigerian Dwarf Goats. Yes, I milked them every day, twice per day. And I loved them. I miss them so much but they started eating the house so we had to give them away:-(
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I lived in the boonies so...

I had a pet deer for a year after his mother was hit by a car. He started rutting and we just couldn't keep him around. Went and made more deer babies most likely.

I had a pet fox named Vixie. Her mom was shot in our woods, the hunter shot the mother and left the kits. Big no no. Vixie was the only one that survived. We had her for six years. More like a cat than a dog. She used to sleep on our fridge.