Cruise!!!

Options
I am going on a cruise in the Winter. I am hoping to be or close to my goal weight. This will be my second one so I know what to look forward to... all the FOOD!!! everywhere!!!! Any suggestions on how not to go overboard. <--- see what I did there.

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    LOL's. Why has everyone I know been on a cruise except me? That needs to change as soon as possible.
  • mrs_j_smith
    mrs_j_smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The first cruise I went on I gained 7lbs (oops). The 2nd one I went on, I was more prepared and only gained a pound (I was pretty proud of myself). Best suggestions: ALWAYS take the stairs no matter how tired you are. Use the gym daily (even just for 20 minutes!). I also found that if I ate at the scheduled dinner dining times rather than eating on my own I was able to make better choices. Finally, you don't HAVE to have the appetizer, meal, and dessert. Just stick to the meal if you can and limit alcohol. I brought a case of water bottles (all unopened) with me and drank water the entire time. Above all else, ENJOY IT. You can do it :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    There are tons of options. Fill up on salad and veggies (assuming you aren't seasick the whole time like I was).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want...... It's 7 days and the weight you gain is going to be mostly water.

I gained 8lbs when I went on a 7 day cruise. I lost almost all of it in 4 days.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I've only managed to go on one cruise in my life. It was one of the most enjoyable things I have done. I had a blast and because it was a vacation I did what ever I wanted and ate like it would be the last time. Didn't want to worry about anything. I knew when I got back I could again work on what ever weight I put on. And I didnt give two sh**s about my blood suger either.

Enjoy yourself it can all be corrected when you get back.:drinker:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The first and second times I took a cruise, I gained 5 lbs. each time. The last time was a charm because I didn't gain any weight. I exercised and burned 300 calories every other day and walked until my legs hurt. Lol! My advice is to exercise and have fun. Unless you planned to stay in your cabin the whole time then you will get in plenty of walking anyway. This will be a vacation so enjoy and deal with any weight issue when you get home.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise last December and put on 7-8lbs. For me it wasn't the food so much as the sugary cocktails. It took a month and a half to drop the weight, but let me tell you, I had a BLAST putting it on! :-)

If you're not much of a drinker then food shouldn't be too bad. There's always lots of fruit and healthy options. Some of the weight you'll gain will just be from all the sodium as well.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    This post is perfect timing - I leave Sunday for a cruise - this will be my 4th!

Use the gym - all of these ships have excellent gyms.

If you're an early riser (like I am) - get up and walk around the upper deck for a 30 minutes or so every morning.

Lastly - as my wise Mom used to say ' all things in moderation, Dear'! You don't have to have dessert EVERY night, and be careful how much you drink, and WHAT you drink - those calories really add up!
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've never been on a cruise nor did I go on vacation since I started losing weight however I'm going to spend a week on the beach in September and here is what i'm planning to do:

Walk/exercise as much as I can while still having fun. So I'll take the stairs instead of the elevator and go play volleyball/swim more than I would usually do, but no gym for me (That's a personal preference, I just never liked it).

Eat smartly but it's still vacation. Basically, I don't want to feel so stuffed my stomach hurt (like i used to do...) Have 1 plate, make sure I do just like at home with of half filled w/ veggies/salad. If you can, try to make a smart selection (like grilled fished over Alfredo pasta). Whenever it's not a buffet but a real restaurant, portions are usually already reasonable, if not, eat until you are not hungry and not until the plate is empty. You already know how to eat well, try to not forget it all yet give you some leeway.

Have a glass or 2 of water in between each drinks, and limit the alcohol after diner.

Enjoy your vacation! You'll gain weight but they put much more salt in the food there than you do at home. Don't be scared when you step up on the scale and see +6 pounds, you'll lose it within a week when you get back :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Drinks on board were way too expensive. I stuck to free unsweetened ice tea or water. (had a few local beers at stops.) Breakfast and lunch I watched carefully and ate lots of fresh fruit and vegetables to fill me up and tried to stay low cal. Dinner I allowed myself to enjoy the great cuisine. I had no problem getting exercise by just walking everywhere and the elevators were very slow so it was actually faster to take the stairs.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been on two cruises, eaten as much as I wanted of whatever I wanted, and either maintained or lost weight on both.

You've already gotten good advice: take the stairs everywhere, and don't drink too much.

Just stay active, active, active. Walk the decks in your bikini rather than sprawling on a lounger to sunbathe (you'll get a more even tan that way, too.) Go dancing in the nightclubs, and participate in the dance classes or other active shipboard fun. Use the gym. Choose active shore excursions, or just go on your own hikes.

You'll also make good food choices if you try to maximize the dollar value of your food. Anytime you're faced with all-inclusive food, you'll get a better bang for your buck and your calories if you focus on eating expensive things like seafood, nice cuts of beef, and fresh fruits than if you fill up on the cheap stuff like bread and french fries.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat dessert with breakfast. Only one entree per meal. Do not visit the buffet between meals. :bigsmile:

My cruise is in Sept. I plan to walk a lot, avoid the elevators, actually go to the gym on board (last time I said I was going to but then never set foot in it), enjoy myself and eat a lot of delicious food! I'm okay with gaining a bit - just not tooooo much.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I did a 5 night cruise over year ago, I just enjoyed myself and did a lot walking. Came back gained 7 pounds, lost all of it few days later, water weight!! :drinker:

Have fun!! :flowerforyou: