Deadlifts + Back soreness. Normal?

Hey everyone!

I just started doing deadlifts for the first time on Monday (and did another set last night) and along with feeling it along the backs of my legs, I've got serious DOMS in my lower back. I know that bad form can cause issues with that, but I've been doing them in front of a mirror like my PT taught me to make sure my back stays straight.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a side effect of working new muscles?

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Can you post a video of your form? It could be soreness, it could be incorrect form.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    It's very easy to do deads wrong. Can you have someone at the gym (who knows what they are doing) check your form?
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    I get sore in my hams/butt/and lower back.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    Incorrect form
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    lifting in front of a mirror is often bad in itself as it forces your head to a non-neutral position.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I wouldn't assume incorrect form (ahem! ^), but I wouldn't rule it out. I get soreness in my lower back after deadlifts as well...deadlifts do work your lower back, so it could just be that.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    My lower back can and does get sore from deadlifts. Like mentioned ^^^ they do work your lower back. It was quite painful the first couple times I did them because my body wasn't used to them. Now it's not as bad, but it can still feel fatigued.
  • FitJenJen
    FitJenJen Posts: 22 Member
    How about dropping weight of your deadlifts while building the surrounding core muscles to help mitigate risk of injury to lower back?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,738 Member
    A little bit of back soreness is okay but if it is bad it could be a form issue stemming from an unaligned back.

I have 3 vertebrae in my neck that are turned the wrong way which throws off my entire body. One shoulder is higher than the other, so when I do deadlifts I don't look in the mirror, but I align myself based off of feel - I make sure the weight is even in both hands even if it appears to be "off" visually. Just an idea. It works for me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    I wouldn't assume incorrect form (ahem! ^), but I wouldn't rule it out. I get soreness in my lower back after deadlifts as well...deadlifts do work your lower back, so it could just be that.

the only way i'm sure to not get a bit sore in the low back is if i make concentrated effort to really engage my core and then the soreness is in the abs the next day :laugh:
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    lifting in front of a mirror is often bad in itself as it forces your head to a non-neutral position.

Definitely this - don't watch yourself in a mirror. Use your phone and video tape your set.

Common DL lower back issues arise from:

- not dropping the weight on the way down. Once the bar passes the knees, do a controlled drop.
    - this goes along with the above, not picking up the bar each rep from a dead stop, as in the name, DEADlift. Lots of people touch the ground and do their next rep.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member

Definitely this - don't watch yourself in a mirror. Use your phone and video tape your set.

- not dropping the weight on the way down. Once the bar passes the knees, do a controlled drop.
    - this goes along with the above, not picking up the bar each rep from a dead stop, as in the name, DEADlift. Lots of people touch the ground and do their next rep.
    If you don't drop or pick up dead...the problem is that you'll probably round off your lower back or do a "butt-wink" right?
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Hey everyone!

I just started doing deadlifts for the first time on Monday (and did another set last night) and along with feeling it along the backs of my legs, I've got serious DOMS in my lower back. I know that bad form can cause issues with that, but I've been doing them in front of a mirror like my PT taught me to make sure my back stays straight.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a side effect of working new muscles?

Since you are sure you are doing them in proper form we have some other possibilities.

1) You are experiencing more severe DOMS because you are new to the exercise

2) You are not eating enough so that your muscles can adequately heal.

3) You are not sleeping enough to properly heal.

4) You are suffering from some other medical condition pertaining to your back.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    If you are sore in your lower back, your back is working way too hard on your deadlifts. You should only feel it in your hamstrings if they are being done properly.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member

If you don't drop or pick up dead...the problem is that you'll probably round off your lower back or do a "butt-wink" right?

Your form definitely gets a little out of whack every rep you don't reset your body position. Which is very important when you're lifting huge amounts of weight.

The main issue with not picking up the weight every rep is your lower back takes more of the load from the ground to the knees. So if you're not dropping the weight and not picking up from the dead position, your lower back is getting double effed.

When you do pick it up from the dead position, you'll naturally explode more from the legs and your lower back will be just fine.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    COMPLETELY NORMAL.

deadlifts are SUPPOSED to work your back, along with your butt and hamstrings. It doesn't mean you have to be equally sore in those other spots.