Favorite Smoothie/Shake Recipes?

Options
I drink a green smoothie every day, either as a post-workout drink or as part of my breakfast because it's an easy way to up my intake of leafy greens. My favorite recipe is 2 cups of baby spinach, 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 frozen banana, and either a scoop of plant-based protein powder or a couple tablespoons of hemp or chia seeds.
Any other smoothie lovers out there? What do you like to shove in your blender?

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Mine is a green smoothie, its filling and under 400 calories:

2 cups spinach
    2 cups chopped kale
    8 oz cucumber juice
    10 oz celery juice
    146g of avocado
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah!

I'm easy: 1 cup frozen mixed berries, 1 cup spinach, 2 tablespoons ground flax, 1 scoop protein, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It's my go-to every morning! When the seasons are right, I like to toss in sliced mango or orange to mix it up :)
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options
    I have been meaning to try this one:
    IMG_00661-682x1024.jpg

Recipe can be found here
    http://www.theoldhen.com/2012/03/30/layered-blueberry-mango-smoothies/
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options
    Another good one is m post workout smoothie:
    2 bananas
    4 scoops of rice protein powder
    1/2 hass avocado
    1 cup of coconut or almond milk
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1 cup strawberries
    1/2 avocado
    1 T honey

My fave.
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    what do you do if your making a new shake and drink some and you dont like it?
    keep drinking the horrible thing or have something else with unknow calorie deficit to make up for?
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure on the quantity as it was over 10 years ago, but my mom used to make these awesome shakes/smoothies... With a bit of yogurt, a bit of milk, strawberries, kiwi, and bananas.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    what do you do if your making a new shake and drink some and you dont like it?
    keep drinking the horrible thing or have something else with unknow calorie deficit to make up for?
    I'd offer it to other people, and if they like it cool, but if not then I'd try and keep drinking it.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My mom's been making "fruit shakes" for as long as I can remember. The general recipe was like this:

handful of frozen strawberries
    handful of frozen blueberries
    handful of frozen raspberries
    1 banana
    1 package of yogurt
    1-2 cups of orange juice

They were delicious, but super high in sugar. It makes sense, though, since we used to drink them for desserts.

I've since altered the recipe to be much healthier...though it changes depending on what sounds good to me at the time. :)

2-4 frozen strawberries
    handful of frozen blueberries OR raspberries
    2+ cups baby spinach
    2 tablespoons chia seeds
    1-2 cups of either no-sugar-added juice (cranberry is my favorite) OR vanilla coconut milk
  • sashafischang
    sashafischang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast smoothies are:

140 grams (about 1 cup) frozen fruit- right now I am using a blend from Costco with papaya, mango, pineapple, and strawberries
    85 grams spinach
    1 tablespoon chia seeds
    1 scoop (36 grams) vanilla protein powder
    ~ 1/2 cup of water

They are delicious and under 300 calories. I have also used the same recipe with different frozen fruit such as berries or pineapple.
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i just start unloading all the produce in the fridge trying to incorporate as many colours as possible, an ice cube, a couple spoonfuls of 90% lactose free plain yogurt, and some metimucil(sp?) for added fibre. last night was blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, kiwi, banana, and pineapple. gonna pick up some greens to start adding, which veggies have the most nutrients?