Day 2 - Dying

Options

Replies

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

I have tried diet root beer and didn't like it at all. Had a horrible after taste too lol I have been taking it slow at the gym these first few days too.

I didn't like diet soda when I first tried it. But then I realized that I like being fat even less, so I switched to Coke Zero. Now regular Coke makes me gag.

You need to do 2 things:

1) decide what matters to you more: eating everything you want or losing weight (assuming weight loss is your goal)
    2) learn what foods to eat and what to avoid.

I don't mind peanut butter, but I don't eat jelly or bread because eating that much carbs makes me want to eat MORE carbs. And there are different types of Chinese food: There's veggie stir fry (which I enjoy) and there's piles of noodles and rice (which I avoid).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat chinese? Steamed veggies, one protein dish, pack the rest to take home....
    Assuming that's the kind of chinese they ordered...yes, very doable.

Yeah I hear you. I invest in what I want now that my health is my priority. I would order my own, or initiate the idea to offer other people a healthy alternative. I love beef terriaki, so I would order that with steamed broccoli. There's ALWAYS a healthy choice in every situation. You just have to set your mind to be a conscious eater.
    Ditto. I make sure I know what the healthy options are and order those. There's always something yummy to be had. Even at Panda. :-)
  • Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    Getting started is the hardest part, it will get easier once you get in a routine.

Agreed! Take a walk at lunch time.

This
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments all!

I have tried moderation and cutting down and it just DOES NOT WORK for me. It seems that these never last at all and I just go with the "just one more" or "just a little more" type thing and I just end up giving up. So i'm trying to just abstain from drinking pop and eating terribly unhealthy food for right now.

That's what your food log is for. Do moderation. Stop when you reach your daily goal.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is really good for you if it isn't fried or noodles, the sodium content isn't so great though lol, it was probably healthier than your pbj sandwich. I'm not sure if they have diet Barg's everywhere but you could look into it. I know diet A&W tastes just like the regular kind. Diet pop shouldn't screw up your diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Chinese food is really good for you if it isn't fried or noodles, the sodium content isn't so great though lol, it was probably healthier than your pbj sandwich. I'm not sure if they have diet Barg's everywhere but you could look into it. I know diet A&W tastes just like the regular kind. Diet pop shouldn't screw up your diet.
    I can't imagine we can know if the take out chinese was healthier than the PBJ without knowing what it was or how it was prepared. Same goes for the PBJ. My PBJs are super healthy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments all!

I have tried moderation and cutting down and it just DOES NOT WORK for me. It seems that these never last at all and I just go with the "just one more" or "just a little more" type thing and I just end up giving up. So i'm trying to just abstain from drinking pop and eating terribly unhealthy food for right now.

That's what your food log is for. Do moderation. Stop when you reach your daily goal.
    Easier said than done for some folks, unfortunately, especially in the beginning.
    Different folks get to "moderation" different ways...
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Every day isn't the effort, every MOMENT is. Like breaking any habit, you have to change routines too. I understand you have ladies at your office that order chinese, can't you take a walk when they do that? Deliver some files?
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying. There are some things that I just can't control myself with, and Chinese food is one of them. Being around it is a serious test of will

I agree with those who say that you can incorporate the things you love into your day. There are no good or bad foods, just some foods that you need to measure carefully and plan for.

There of course is always the option to make healthier versions at home. This recipe for example is something I make ALL THE TIME. http://iowagirleats.com/2012/10/22/take-out-fake-out-lighter-sesame-chicken/

LighterSesameChicken_01_mini.jpg
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Moderation is something you'll have to learn. I'm getting there but still have some really bad days (read weeks).

Not to give you permission to indulge but that PB & J sandwich,.. depending on how you prepared it, will have the same or more calories as a sensible dish at the Chinese place.
  • pythagarus
    pythagarus Posts: 16
    Options
    Start slowly and give yourself time to start feeling better. Once you start to see and feel results, it's a lot easier to jump into it with both feet.
    If you need any extra incentive to lay off the soda....that stuff can just plain kill you.

" Drinking as little as two soft drinks a week appears to nearly double the risk of getting pancreatic cancer, according to a new study.

''People who drank two or more soft drinks a week had an 87% increased risk -- or nearly twice the risk -- of pancreatic cancer compared to individuals consuming no soft drinks," says study lead author Noel T. Mueller, MPH, a research associate at the Cancer Control Program at Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, D.C. The study is published in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, a journal of the American Association for Cancer Research"
  • BowHunter1967
    BowHunter1967 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Start slow, aim for small incremental change.
    Get rid of the junk food in your house or it will get you at 3am!
    Hang in there, you can do this.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Getting started is the hardest part, it will get easier once you get in a routine.

^ THIS!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying. There are some things that I just can't control myself with, and Chinese food is one of them. Being around it is a serious test of will

I agree with those who say that you can incorporate the things you love into your day. There are no good or bad foods, just some foods that you need to measure carefully and plan for.

There of course is always the option to make healthier versions at home. This recipe for example is something I make ALL THE TIME. http://iowagirleats.com/2012/10/22/take-out-fake-out-lighter-sesame-chicken/

Oh now that looks so good. Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • Ryandecheney314
    Ryandecheney314 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am always looking for new buddies for motivation and for me motivate them. Feel free to add me!!!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

Oh now that looks so good. Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:

No probs! It's flippin amazing. Tastes better than the take out stuff by a mile :drinker:
  • ErikaWhitten
    ErikaWhitten Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Ooooooooo that looks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    How was Day 3?
  • ErikaWhitten
    ErikaWhitten Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Was doing great then my boss bought everyone ice cream bars lol
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Compare what you ate yesterday (day 3) with what you'd have eaten 4 days ago before starting this.... I bet even though you had an ice cream bar (which by the way isn't a bad thing) you still ate considerably less than you used to. So be proud of yourself. Small steps towards a 'better' future :)