College students anywhere...

Options
Recipe for disaster, college student on a budget trying to lose weight. Juggling school, work and extracurriculars sure isn't easy and now I'm trying to lose weight while surrounded by the lure of cheap fast food and partying friends. But I shall prevail, this time for good! Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Add me! I'm in college as well and def on that "broke college kid" budget!

I am also surrounded by partying friends, as well as love some good beer, but I have made it to the point where I know when I want to stop for the well-being of my body and health. Also, we should be friends because football season is coming shortly, and I will DEFINITELY need motivation and support during the tailgating season. :( that will be a struggle!
  • hollyisreal
    hollyisreal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I start college this fall! I have no idea how I'm going to stay on track with eating healthy lol. But I'm gonna hope for the best! I wish you best of luck too, I know you can do it :)
  • jess1jane
    jess1jane Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I been there. I gain weight at school and barely even notice it until summer break. Then I spend all summer working it off only to start over in the fall. This will be my third attempt to be healthy at college. I have no idea how I'm going to do it, but I'm not going to ignore it this time. I think just recognizing that I have to make some changes is the first step. Is there anyone else out there with success stories for surviving college in a healthy way?
  • TheLovelyKenne
    Options
    Yes, I think I'm in the same boat. It is really easy to buy fast food but lately I've been buying healthy snacks (fruits, nuts, veggies) and I put them in a baggie inside of my purse so that I'm less tempted to make unsavory purchases. Also remember that if need be, it is possible to find healthy options at fast-food joints. For example, at Taco Bell I will order a Cantina Bowl and sub the rice for lettuce and I always get a water or diet soda. You just have to think outside of the box. You can do it :) Keep your head up
  • killakelli
    Options
    Add me! I'm in college as well and def on that "broke college kid" budget!

I am also surrounded by partying friends, as well as love some good beer, but I have made it to the point where I know when I want to stop for the well-being of my body and health. Also, we should be friends because football season is coming shortly, and I will DEFINITELY need motivation and support during the tailgating season. :( that will be a struggle!

Haha luckily I HATE beer but I'm a sucker for some tequila! Same here drinking isn't typically my problem it's all the late night runs to bad food places. I agree! :)
  • killakelli
    Options
    I start college this fall! I have no idea how I'm going to stay on track with eating healthy lol. But I'm gonna hope for the best! I wish you best of luck too, I know you can do it :)

It's a challenge but doable! Thanks you as well! :) Let's try and stay on track
  • killakelli
    Options
    I been there. I gain weight at school and barely even notice it until summer break. Then I spend all summer working it off only to start over in the fall. This will be my third attempt to be healthy at college. I have no idea how I'm going to do it, but I'm not going to ignore it this time. I think just recognizing that I have to make some changes is the first step. Is there anyone else out there with success stories for surviving college in a healthy way?

Story of my life. This is my 3rd time around as well and this time I'm really trying to make it permanent. I lost about 20 lbs last fall and gained it all back (I got relationship happy) lol but I graduate in the spring so I'm determined to look my best by then! My big thing was learning how to cook quick healthy meals that are foolproof cause I'm definitely no chef haha
  • killakelli
    Options
    Yes, I think I'm in the same boat. It is really easy to buy fast food but lately I've been buying healthy snacks (fruits, nuts, veggies) and I put them in a baggie inside of my purse so that I'm less tempted to make unsavory purchases. Also remember that if need be, it is possible to find healthy options at fast-food joints. For example, at Taco Bell I will order a Cantina Bowl and sub the rice for lettuce and I always get a water or diet soda. You just have to think outside of the box. You can do it :) Keep your head up

That's a great idea, I've been learning to choose healthier options as well. I've never tried that at Taco Bell but it sounds delish! Thanks you as well :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    When I was an undergrad, I worked FT, 2 PT jobs, did contract work on the side, and volunteered (in addition to being a FT student). I was student government president, and was very active on campus. I didn't have time to long meals or logging. I barely had time to pee.

I spent several years after college just working FT, and then decided to go back for a graduate degree. So I'm working FT and am a FT student again (I also volunteer and hold official volunteer leadership positions in 4 organizations).

What I found is that there are some things that must be done, other things that should be done, and finally there are things that are just enjoyable but not valuable. Make a fair analysis of what category everything fits into. Make sure you first make time for things that must be done. Then, make time for things that are enjoyable in moderation. Finally, efficiently budget the rest in what is left of your time.

For most of us, weight loss is something that should be done. We could get by for a few years continuing to be heavier, but we are better off losing the weight sooner. So this is where efficiency comes in. Spend the same amount of time at the grocery store, but buy things that are quick and calorie light. On your way out the door, grab a banana instead of a candy bar, for example. Track your calories by loading once or twice each day if you can keep a memory of what you have eaten. If you have inadvertently gone over your calorie goal for the day, don't stress about it. If you don't have time for a workout, just figure you went over that day... it isn't the end of the world, and you will try harder tomorrow.

Also, if you stress eat, try to carry a bag of carrots or celery or dill pickles around with you (easier for females with purses).. or a water bottle (convert to stress water drinking).

Just be patient and focus on what you must do first (and what you want to do second - mental health will help you with weight loss also).
  • karmenvalenzuela3
    Options
    I went to college and gained the freshman 15 :( I need a lot of help and support! Please Add me!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    College rocks! Avoid the bong hits and you should be just fine.
  • chaerinstarr
    Options
    I am a college student trying to get back into shape. I was a Dance major, but (due to recurring mono) I had to put my career on hold and switch to online classes. Three years later, I'm 30 lbs heavier than when I started dancing and I have 3 weeks to shed 15 lbs to get close enough to my old "starting" weight and (hopefully) fit in my old dancing gear again before the Fall semester starts. Add on being a full time wife and step-mother of 2 kids, and it's a serious challenge! I just moved to a new state where I have no friends, no support system, and not the best relationship with my husband's family (mine are all about 20 hours away from me). I could use some encouragement and support. If you'd like to friend and support me, I'll support you! :wink:
  • killakelli
    Options
    College rocks! Avoid the bong hits and you should be just fine.

Haha I don't think that will be a problem!
  • killakelli
    Options
    When I was an undergrad, I worked FT, 2 PT jobs, did contract work on the side, and volunteered (in addition to being a FT student). I was student government president, and was very active on campus. I didn't have time to long meals or logging. I barely had time to pee.

I spent several years after college just working FT, and then decided to go back for a graduate degree. So I'm working FT and am a FT student again (I also volunteer and hold official volunteer leadership positions in 4 organizations).

What I found is that there are some things that must be done, other things that should be done, and finally there are things that are just enjoyable but not valuable. Make a fair analysis of what category everything fits into. Make sure you first make time for things that must be done. Then, make time for things that are enjoyable in moderation. Finally, efficiently budget the rest in what is left of your time.

For most of us, weight loss is something that should be done. We could get by for a few years continuing to be heavier, but we are better off losing the weight sooner. So this is where efficiency comes in. Spend the same amount of time at the grocery store, but buy things that are quick and calorie light. On your way out the door, grab a banana instead of a candy bar, for example. Track your calories by loading once or twice each day if you can keep a memory of what you have eaten. If you have inadvertently gone over your calorie goal for the day, don't stress about it. If you don't have time for a workout, just figure you went over that day... it isn't the end of the world, and you will try harder tomorrow.

Also, if you stress eat, try to carry a bag of carrots or celery or dill pickles around with you (easier for females with purses).. or a water bottle (convert to stress water drinking).

Just be patient and focus on what you must do first (and what you want to do second - mental health will help you with weight loss also).

Great info! Yeah I'm going into my senior year so I've come to realize the general dos and donts as well as some good financial habits. As far as stress water drinking I think I might have to give that a try...haha
  • killakelli
    Options
    I am a college student trying to get back into shape. I was a Dance major, but (due to recurring mono) I had to put my career on hold and switch to online classes. Three years later, I'm 30 lbs heavier than when I started dancing and I have 3 weeks to shed 15 lbs to get close enough to my old "starting" weight and (hopefully) fit in my old dancing gear again before the Fall semester starts. Add on being a full time wife and step-mother of 2 kids, and it's a serious challenge! I just moved to a new state where I have no friends, no support system, and not the best relationship with my husband's family (mine are all about 20 hours away from me). I could use some encouragement and support. If you'd like to friend and support me, I'll support you! :wink:

Of course! Always happy to make new friends :) Sounds rough! But I know anything is possible with a lot of dedication and willpower. I start in a few weeks as well which is why I'm trying to get into good habits now so that avoiding bad ones will become a lot easier.
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Haha yeeesss I am all up in this! I gained just a little at school after losing 20 lbs my freshman year. Now that I am at a lower weight I keep bouncing but I believe I will have it this time. Almost everything at my school can be found using "aramark on campus." You can check to see if it is similar at your college campus.

I have my protein coming in, so that will take care of my late night sugar cravings and I have plastic storage containers that I take food from the cafeteria with. If someone asks you can say that you booked all day every day and you just want to have something since your teacher lets you eat in class. Lastly, I have some healthy foods that I love in my room/apartment so that I won't have to go out late at night. Oatmeal, canned pineapple, chicken breasts, and green giant frozen veggies. I hope my fixes and tricks can work for you all. Feel free to add me as well. I am pretty consistent and I update my status a few times a week.

And treat yourself once your consistent. My roommates and I got milkshakes once a month or went out to eat a few times a month. One was a boxer, one a skinny guy, and I was the exercise enthusiast/trainer. We made it work. I only gained 5 lbs which I have quickly dropped this summer.
  • hoshana42
    hoshana42 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I gained about 25lbs last semester, with all the beer and terrible eating habits I had. For a while, I honestly didn't care about exercising and watching what I ate. I've been pretty athletic my entire life which has helped me here and there. But my eating is what always ruined it for me!

I'm currently playing golf, which is what I like to do on my rest days. It's currently offseason for rugby, so I've been running instead. I run about 5-6 days a week for an hour. And I'm currently down 20lbs! Luckily, I've finally found the motivation to keep me on track. I want to live a healthy lifestyle more than anything. Although I've just started on this weight-loss/change-of-lifestyle journey, I've found that I've come too far to look back and refuse to nestle into my old habits.

I'm feeling quite confident that I will continue to stick through this healthy lifestyl, because I sure am feeling good compared to where I was at a month ago! I am a bit nervous about food and whatnot, since I will be on a budget and cooking is up to me when I'm back at school.

Anyways, feel free to add me on here (and instagram too! @hoshana42) I'd love to learn more about you and support you all!

Keep up the good work! :D
  • KaKaiser7
    KaKaiser7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm going to starting college fall and I'm terrified of gaining the freshman fifteen. I've seen all the tasty tempting food in the lunchroom and all the extra cheap food places around my future campus and I'm just hoping that I can for the most part resist all the temptations. I'm also really hoping I'll ne able to find time to work out between school, studying, work and band.
  • dannibee13
    dannibee13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am also a college student in the same boat. I gained A LOT over the course of my senior year in high school into my freshman year and just got motivated to get it all off! My main problem is going to be band camp in a few weeks because basically the ONLY option for food all week is fast food! Gah. Plus with football games and trips almost every weekend its the same deal. Will definitely be needing lost of support...
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am a college junior and I definitely understand that freshman 15 (try 20). It's taken me this whole year to get rid of that weight (and so many miles of running) to get back on the track to health, but I still have a long way to go! Feel free to add me.