My feet are killing me

Options
I've done my research. I understand shin splints. I haven't ran consistently in a lot of years, so it was no surprise to me at first that my shins and ankles were in pain from running after my lunch break jogs. The issue is, it's been weeks, even months, and they still haven't adapted. I have a desk job, but at least once every hour I get up and hit 500 steps real quick around the premises and on the weekend I'm always active. I heard the right running shoes are the key, but when I went to have some fitted for me, they went right for the $100.00 + shoes. That's a red flag in my eyes. I haven't spent that kind of money on shoes my whole life. Am I missing something here? I know the less I weigh the easier it will get, but that seems redundant considering I have to run to get there in the first place! So...What's up?

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Do you take rest days? If you never give your feet/legs a break, they'll never recover.

As for the shoes, good ones are more expensive, it's just the way it is. You will probably have to shell out the extra cash. It is an investment though - if you aren't in pain and can remain active, it's worth it. You can also wait for them to have a sale, and see if you can get something for a bit cheaper.

edited for spelling
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Go to a marshalls or tjmax or some other store where they sell last month's greatest apparel and shoes for 1/2 price. Decent shoes are important but $100+ is definitely not an indication of shoe quality.

Impact hurts. Try some low/no impact exercises for a while, the elliptical, bike, body weight squats etc.

What did the doctor say?
  • accelerashawn
    Options
    btw, resistance exercises (lifting weights) are going to help you lose weight quicker than cardio alone.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    My current pair of shoes costs me $40. They were on the sale rack. Even full price shoes don't generally cost much over $80 for me and I might have gone over $100 once. Good shoes don't have to be terribly expensive. It takes time on your feet to get used to running. The number of months isn't as important as the number of steps you've taken. I took 5 months off and my shins are a little bit sore some days. It happens and you'll get more and more used to it the longer you stick with it.

Initially it took me nearly a year before my shins were never sore.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    check your form. if you're landing on your heels try landing more on the midsole of the foot
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    100 is common for running shoes.
  • perm_dogg
    perm_dogg Posts: 22
    Options
    btw, resistance exercises (lifting weights) are going to help you lose weight quicker than cardio alone.

Yes. I should have added that detail. I do not only walk during my lunch breaks. I do a lot of strength training. (Maybe not enough on my legs) I have a bowlfex, I use free weights or whatever heavy I can find laying around. Like I said, I'm active to the extent I can with my life schedule, but the running never used to hurt before now. I run in And 1 Basketball shoes.
  • accelerashawn
    Options
    I can't run in my basketball shoes very well. The cushion isn't good enough for heel impact. I would do like the above poster said and try to land in the midsole of your foot...kind of like toe running but more on the balls of your foot. Still, i would take plenty of time off of the impact and let your bones/joints rest.
  • perm_dogg
    Options
    Thank for all of your input. I thought of trying a cheaper pair before going with the recommended ones. I never saw a doctor about it because frankly, where I'm from, you can't trust the doctors. I can diagnose myself better on WebMD. I went in with a broken ankle that I COULD NOT walk on, and they said there was nothing wrong. So yeah. I'd believe you guys before a doctor. Maybe I should try resting between days. Thanks.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Yes. I should have added that detail. I do not only walk during my lunch breaks. I do a lot of strength training. (Maybe not enough on my legs) I have a bowlfex, I use free weights or whatever heavy I can find laying around. Like I said, I'm active to the extent I can with my life schedule, but the running never used to hurt before now. I run in And 1 Basketball shoes.

Don't run in basketball shoes, man. They are simply not built to take the pounding, especially if you're running on the street and/or sidewalk. Get a good pair of running shoes and yes, many of them cost $100+.
  • accelerashawn
    Options
    I got a great pair of an old model asics running shoe from the $29.99 Shoe Warehouse once...
    I got $130 pair of Under Armour basketball shoes from Marshalls for $30

The price you pay doesn't make the shoe. If you're on a budget you can find something well under $100
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I got a great pair of an old model asics running shoe from the $29.99 Shoe Warehouse once...
    I got $130 pair of Under Armour basketball shoes from Marshalls for $30

The price you pay doesn't make the shoe. If you're on a budget you can find something well under $100

this is true. You can often find last year's model/colors for significantly less. However, new running shoes are usually around 100$. You can pay 100$ for a shoe and still have it be the wrong one. You can also pay 30$ for the wrong one. If you were fitted and they suggested a shoe to you, its good form to buy it the first time in the store (because they went through the fitting process), plus you usually get a 30 day return policy if they don't work out. Once you know which shoe works, you can hunt for better deals.
  • perm_dogg
    Options
    Good ole Walmart sells Avia running shoes. Amazon has good reviews. I understand each individual is different and so will have different opinions/results. Anyone like Avias? They're only 25 bucks. 1/4 of the cost of the "running shoe" store's price.
  • Babyzoom
    Babyzoom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are expensive. I just bought a new pair for $120 on sale. I also run ~40 miles/week and have wide feet and a tendency to overpronate. I spend approximately that much every year and I've noticed how much better my running is when my shoes aren't all worn out. I think it depends on how much time you will be devoting to running. If you're just getting started and don't plan on becoming a hardcore runner, maybe check Ebay for deals or older models of the more expensive shoes. I have seen commercials for insoles for active individuals, but not sure how well that works. It might be a cheaper investment for you right now until you build to more miles. Good luck!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Your local running store should have told you the profile of shoe you are looking for and recommended several specific models. You are likely to be able to find last year's, or the year before's model of the same shoe online (amazon, 6pm, running warehouse, etc.) or at stores. Usually they don't change TOO much. Another option would be to plug the shoe they recommended into the runner's world shoe finder to see other shoes that might fit the bill.

I would discourage you from just buying any random shoe labeled a running shoe because they vary wildly in features, support, cushioning, heel-to-toe drop, stiffness, assumed gait and running style, etc.

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoes-like-mine
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    check your form. if you're landing on your heels try landing more on the midsole of the foot

For more info on running form check out ChiRunning and/or Pose Method of Running.
  • ahruss23
    ahruss23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Academy has good prices on their running shoes. Also, you may need some Vitamin D.
  • perm_dogg
    Options
    Academy has good prices on their running shoes. Also, you may need some Vitamin D.

If there is one thing I'm doing right, it is nutrients and vitamins. I hit the right ones daily, but I will look into the shoes. Thanks
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Good ole Walmart sells Avia running shoes. Amazon has good reviews. I understand each individual is different and so will have different opinions/results. Anyone like Avias? They're only 25 bucks. 1/4 of the cost of the "running shoe" store's price.

How much time with the $75 you save get you with a physiotherapist?
  • for2day
    for2day Posts: 209 Member
    Options

For more info on running form check out ChiRunning and/or Pose Method of Running.

OOOH! Thank you for posting this. Someone told me about form, Chi Running and I could not for the life of me remember the name they gave me...and they left MFP! So thank you!