Half Marathon??

Options
I'm reaaaaally close to signing up for a Half Marathon in Atlanta on 3/20/11... I think the training over the next 16 weeks will help with weight loss over the winter months... but I'm scared! It's a big committment and I don't want to fail...

Looking for any thoughts, suggestions, or words of wisdom?

Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion: You may want to build UP to a half. It looks (from your signature) you've only done 5ks so far? I think it would be much more beneficial to sign up for a 10k or something like that, and work towards that :)
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!! This will help keep you motivated through the winter months. I find that if I don't have an event that I'm trianing for it's easier to blow off my runs and "do it tomorrow". Good Luck and Happy Training.
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    Go for it! Half marathons are a blast and there are so many people at them to support you/motivate you along the way. Most medium to large races have free training groups to do your long runs with, so it can turn into a social activity as well. You won't fail and more than likely as soon as you're done, you'll be looking for the next race. Get a race plan or a group to make it easy - half marathons are easy to train for and keep a normal lifestyle. They require only about one long run a week with a few runs in between. Have fun!
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you can run 3 miles without a problem than the Hal Higdon 12 week schedule for a half is a good training schedule and it does include a 10K.
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I did the Kentucky Derby mini marathon in April at 155lbs having never done one before!! I walked/jogged it and finished in 3hrs and 6 minutes. I had a blast..find a buddy to do it with and go for it! You don't have to run it you can walk it if you need to. It will keep you motivated for sure. I am now training for next years mini! Have fun with it!! :happy: :happy: Good luck!!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Absolutely sign up for the run! Runners world.com has great information about running half marathons for beginners. I signed up for a full marathon when I couldn't even run half a mile consecutive and I finished that race---I know I did it so so can you! I recommend starting slowly with the training (16 weeks is ideal) and maybe recruiting a buddy. Signing up for a race is the best way to actually increase your mileage; if there is no race, what is the motivation?

Good luck!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I KNEW that I was going to run my 1/2 and had no doubts about it. If you're scared, well I would say think about if it's what you really want, and if it is...go for it! I would suggest building up to a 10K distance (and sign up for a 10K race) and then seeing how you feel from there. It is a commitment and I wouldn't overlook the fact that you're hesitant. That's not usually a good indicator of willingness to put in the hard work!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I've been training to run/walk a half marathon in January using the plan in Marathoning for Mortals. I LOVE it and have had no injury issues at all because they build your base gradually. The program is 14 weeks long, so you'd have plenty of time to get ready! Good luck!!!!
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to join us on this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/106273-half-marathon-support-and-motivation?page=19

my next half is 5/15, so i have a while before my official training starts. In the meantime, i run 4-6 every other day with an occasional longer run thrown in there.

Good luck!
    Lisa
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would say sign up for it. I was working my way up to a half and was doing 5ks and 10ks each weekend and doing runs on the weekdays. The only reason I did mine was cause I won a free registration to it. I got out there and did it and was the greatest thing I have ever done. get out and go do it.