New runner looking for buddies!!!!

Options
Hello fello losers! I am looking for some people to help guide me in my efforts to start running. I want to make sure that I dont hurt myself. What things do I need (shoes, clothes, ect...) and do you use the ground or treadmill? What is more effective for a new runner?

ALSO FEEL FREE TO ADD ME , I COULD USE THE SUPPORT!

Replies

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I run for the pleasure of it, not a long distance runner, no plans for a marathon but I love the results I get and sleeping has never been so wonderful.

You'll have other runners that will come along and give you their opinions and guidance that have much more experience.

My suggestions would be get well fitting shoes, I know when I slide my feet into a pair if they're right others need to go to a running shoe store which I would recommend, doesn't mean you have to buy the shoes there but it's a good place to start out. For clothes I highly recommend moisture wicking clothing and avoid black or dark colors if you're running outside they lock in the heat. I gave up my gym membership a few years ago and only run outside unless I happen to tag along with a friend to the gym or stay in a hotel with a nice fitness center.

I would probably say running outside to start with because you have markers like telephone poles. That's how I started running, I'd run from one pole to the next then I upped it to 2 poles and so on and now I'm running 5k's without stopping to walk. Mostly don't rush it, listen to your body, if you feel the need to stop and walk do it. Perhaps just start with lightly jogging, get the feel of your body in movement and see where you go from there.

Good luck! Oh yeah and I always forget, there are tons of Couch 2 5K programs out there, might be a local running group you could join or hook up with a group online. You see them here on MFP from time to time.
  • cwill33
    cwill33 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just recently got back into running myself and I'm currently training for a half marathon. I second what the first reply said about the shoes and I will add that running socks make a huge difference as well. Make sure that the socks you get are not cotton! Cotton retains moisture and will give you blisters while running. Also you can download a free app like Nike+ or runkeeper to track all of your runs and distances. It's a great way to see how far and how fast you've run and try to beat your records.
  • ocnldy
    ocnldy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started run/walking a couple months ago an decided I need help pushing myself so I am now on week 2 of the Couch to 5k program. I am so glad I found your thread as I was lookin for other supportive new runners also. There are a ton of free app options, I currently use the Couch 2 5k app from Zen Labs, it sends my work out straight to MFP.

Id love to build my support group, if anyone is interested in building theirs please send me a friend request.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You can add me as a friend-
    I am a new-er runner. I actually suck at running, but I try. I could use some encouraging running friends! I like to run outside, but the weather in Ohio is not always the best for it. I use the Nike ap too and i think it is a great help. Without a doubt get good shoes. My biggest suggestion would be to stretch after running; not just a few seconds, but for like 15 minutes afterwards. It helps the sorenessand prevents injuries. It has really made a huge diffference for me.
  • heyjude345
    heyjude345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started running at the end of January. I did the C25K program and followed it religiously. I pushed myself to not have to repeat days/weeks, but that is certainly not necessary. Good fitting shoes definitely saved my knees. I now run 3 miles or so 3-4 days a week and while I don't always love it (the weather is so cruel when its hot!), I do definitely enjoy it. Feel free to add me! Btw...since I started running I have definitely noticed my body shape changing. There have been many weeks I have not lost weight but can fit into clothes I couldn't previously...so BONUS!
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner! We'll, I'm slower than a snail, but I'm still doing it and loving it! I just finished week 6 of c25k, 2 months ago I never would've thought I could go for 22 minutes straight :). Once I finish c25k I plan on working on my speed-according to map my run I go between a 12 & 13 minute mile, the c25k program seems to be set for a 10 minute mile...anyway anyone can feel free to add me too! I'm up north so it'll be interesting to see how winter running goes. Good luck everyone!
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a half marathon, feel free to add me! I have never been much of a runner and was more of a heavy lifting girl but I was basically doubted by a friend who got into running that I could do a half marathon by October so now I've not only decided to run it but I plan to quietly destroy her time. (Sorry, competitive much?)

I agree that quality shoes are ESSENTIAL, I have a bad right knee and my running shoes were old so I was getting knee pain but now that I've updated to my Brook's Ravennas I am pain free :)

I use the tracking app Endomondo, it’s free to download and it will sync your workouts right into MFP for you, for some reason seeing it really motivates me. I didn’t think I would get into running it was more to prove a point but I am loving it so far. Saturday's are my long runs; I'm up to 6 miles so far and heading into 7 next week. During the week days I do 3-5 mile runs and they are getting so much faster.

Best of luck with running, turns out all it takes is the desire to be a runner :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I used to run a lot, and got back into it this year, soon after I decided to get really serious about getting fit and joined MFP. I love running outdoors and hate the treadmill (I'm starting to find uses for it, though), but when I first got back into it the sidewalks around me were icy, so I started there. This time of year I run outside almost exclusively, and have just started a 16-week half marathon training program. (Heat can be tough, but it's been a mild summer where I am, and I try to run in the morning.)

You've gotten the good shoes advice--that's important! Socks, too, but you may need to try different ones to see what works best for you. I never did the C25K program because I had run before and started again before I heard of it, but it seems like a great option for a new runner. I think starting with walking plus running intervals is a great idea. Another thing to keep in mind as you build up is that you will be running very slow at first, and that's just fine. Pacing yourself too fast is probably one of the main things that frustrates new runners.

Another thing that is worth focusing on is form. We can all run, but there are technique things that will make it easier or harder. Back when I used to run I put in some work on dealing with muscle imbalances and so on that were contributing to soreness and injury, and yet this time when I started to get the same thing I just chalked it up to me being overweight and didn't worry about it. Yet when I did hurt my knee (I stepped on a rock and twisted it, so I'm not sure it was really the form thing) and was working on rehabbing it I had my form looked at and got great advice about shortening my stride and running more with the glutes and hamstrings, and I've been working on strengthening my hips, glutes, and hamstrings in connection with this (which is what I recall doing before). I'm still having to think about it and catch myself falling into bad habits, but it's finally clicked some so that this way is starting to feels more natural and my running stride feels a lot better.
  • imjustlisa
    imjustlisa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner! We'll, I'm slower than a snail, but I'm still doing it and loving it! I just finished week 6 of c25k, 2 months ago I never would've thought I could go for 22 minutes straight :). Once I finish c25k I plan on working on my speed-according to map my run I go between a 12 & 13 minute mile, the c25k program seems to be set for a 10 minute mile...anyway anyone can feel free to add me too! I'm up north so it'll be interesting to see how winter running goes. Good luck everyone!
    I am also running about a 12 minute mile when i go 3 miles...11 minute mile for a two mile run! I thought i was the slowest ever, but hey a mile is still a mile! Request me as a friend and maybe we can work on our times!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the running world!

1. Find a good C25K program you like. There are plenty of them out there, some are smartphone apps, some are podcasts; find one that works for you.
    2. Follow the rules of said C25K program; they are there for your safety and well-being. A good program should have you only running every other day and running slowly at the start. No, really. Slower than you think slow is. :)
    3. Don't do anything high impact on the days between running. You need to give your joints and shins a chance to recover between runs. If you want to workout on the days between, choose strength training (PICK ME!), biking, swimming, yoga, etc.
    4. Shoes shouldn't be an issue the first few weeks as long as they aren't 5 years old and raggedy. You'll be doing more walking than running at first. I didn't start having issues until I was running more than 3 miles 3-4 times per week.
    5. Once you've decided that running is defintely for you, go to a dedicated running store and get fitted for shoes.
    6. Most injuries come from trying to do too much, too soon. Never increase the mileage you're running by more than 10% from one week to the next.
    7. Treadmills are boring, run outside. :)

Most of all, have fun!
  • snackmachine
    Options
    Hooray running! Everyone has great advice, mine is more of the same:

1. Stretch a ton.

2. Find something you really like to listen to, I have favorite songs I save just for running, or podcasts I love that I get so lost in I don't realize I've just run several miles.

3. I think one way to guarantee you will never get injured is to never run two days in a row - rest days are as important as runs! There are lots of other ways though.
  • SusanGettingFit
    Options
    I am not exactly a runner YET, but I am working my way toward it! I am using Active.com's Couch to 5k app and yesterday completed week 5 day 1 intervals. I love the way the program eases me into running. I surprise myself every time!

A few things I have learned along the way:
    1. properly fitted shoes are a must
    2. synthetic (non-cotton) socks are fabulous
    3. a great playlist is a huge plus
    4. trails are way more fun than flat roads
    5. treadmills are the devil, seriously
    6. runner's high is not a fable!

I wish you nothing but great success as you run. Ready! Set! Go!
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I started the c25k 3.5 weeks ago. I just did week 3 day 1 last night and I can run for 2.5 minutes!! I tried this program last year inside on my treadmill and gave up. BUT now I run outside and love it. I do not have much advice since I am pretty new to this too. Good luck!
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given you fantastic advice!! Follow it, don't give up, the beginning is the hardest and feel free to add me. I'm on week 8 of the C25K app but am always finding motivation in watching others strive and meet there goals!!
  • kgaylord76
    kgaylord76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am new to running as well. I just started the Couch to 5k yesterday. I have lost about 19 lbs and would like to loose 70 more. Feel free to add me if you need the support. I know I could always use the extra support.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    We'll everyone has spoken of the shoes so you got that. Run walking is a great way to start it's how I did.
    Keep form in your mind but really as new runner getting out there and doing it is more important. You can focus on techniques as it becomes habit. Slow is the key for now. Don't worry about how slow you are, that's the way you'll avoid injury. Good luck to you.

Any one can feel free to add. Always happy to have running friends.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Just started running two weeks ago. I'm SLOW! But before this I couldn't even make it to the end of the street. Apparently my other cardio actually paid off and I can now go around the block 3 times! It's about 2.5 miles and it takes me between 32 and 34 minutes. As I said,...SLOW!

I run every other day to avoid injury for now. So far so good!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Run someplace INTERESTING. Running on a treadmill is boring and it is easy to quit. Run where the terrain changes, the sights change, the people change, etc.

I run at a nearby park which has several ballfields, dog runs, playground for little kids, basketball hoops, skateboard ramp, gravel, grass, parking, etc. So I run past some junior high kids on skateboards, then past some teenagers playing pickup basketball, then past couples having picnics, then past little kids playing flag football, then past people with their dogs, then past some senior citizens sitting on a bench, etc. Some parts are a little bit uphill, others flat, some parts a little bit downhill, some have curves, some have straight parts. Each time around, the people change a little bit.

But a treadmill? After about 30 seconds, I have seen everything, and I am bored.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 day 2 of C25K so anyone can feel free to add me too. Love all the replies. :)
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the running world!

1. Find a good C25K program you like. There are plenty of them out there, some are smartphone apps, some are podcasts; find one that works for you.
    2. Follow the rules of said C25K program; they are there for your safety and well-being. A good program should have you only running every other day and running slowly at the start. No, really. Slower than you think slow is. :)
    3. Don't do anything high impact on the days between running. You need to give your joints and shins a chance to recover between runs. If you want to workout on the days between, choose strength training (PICK ME!), biking, swimming, yoga, etc.
    4. Shoes shouldn't be an issue the first few weeks as long as they aren't 5 years old and raggedy. You'll be doing more walking than running at first. I didn't start having issues until I was running more than 3 miles 3-4 times per week.
    5. Once you've decided that running is defintely for you, go to a dedicated running store and get fitted for shoes.
    6. Most injuries come from trying to do too much, too soon. Never increase the mileage you're running by more than 10% from one week to the next.
    7. Treadmills are boring, run outside. :)

Most of all, have fun!

Wow, fantastic advice!

I'm currently doing a run walk program on my iPhone and have it set to one minute walk, one minute run and I'm on week 3 of 7. By the end of the 7th week I should be able to walk run a 5k. My friend and I are training together but because our fitness levels are so different she's started out on a 30sec 30 sec program. I felt like this was too easy. The 5k we're signing up for is in the first week in October so I need to figure out what to do at the end of the 7 weeks to get from a run/walk program to running the full 5k. I'm not worried about time...I just want to be able to run the full way.