Alternative to bread

Options

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Yes he did, at first it was to limit them to the point where they were eventually gone.

If I'm allowed to do everything in moderatoin I suck at it. I always over estimate, so then I go back to measuring, and counting every little thing to stay in the green....and that has driven me insane, and to do stupid things like skip meals or two or three...in order to have a danged calorie laden avocado, or somedays a calorie laden cookie. I don't wanna be that either.

And I do have a zuchinni spagetti maker on teh way. Cutting the little strips with a knife wasn't fooling my kiddos, I think we'll all like this little gadget. It means spaghetti again!!! Which they LOVE!!!!

And we already do the sweet potato fries in the good ketchup.

Ugh just so frustrating.

If you think you went insane just trying to eat the foods you enjoy in moderation, it will be even worse not being able to eat them at all.

Besides, with a really strict diet, you're going to end up rebounding very soon. You're going to gain back all the weight you lost and probably even more.

I suggest you keep trying to eat in moderation. You will fail, and often, but just keep at it until you can manage to gain control. It took me MONTHS to get used to eating in moderation. There's no counting how many times I failed. But eventually I finally learned how to control myself. Now instead of having the entire box of pizza, I can have just a slice or two. And that's a much better alternative to not being able to eat the foods I enjoy at all.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Your children are growing, so since you are interested in nutrition, please do some research into optimal nutrition for growing children. Nutritional needs for growing kids are very different than nutritional needs for adult women who need to lose weight!

That said, my son loves to eat lettuce wraps instead of sandwiches. We roll up turkey, cheese, etc. in large leaves of romaine or green leaf lettuce. It's one of his lunchbox staples... along with granola bars, pretzels, and other items that I only eat in moderation because I want to maintain my weight.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Bread is kid friendly.
    I went through a stage where I really questioned different types of food (milk, grains, etc)
    I was trying really hard to feed my growing family well!
    Conclusion for me: it was totally unnecessary and not correct! Bondage! I do wish we could always have raw milk!
    I did have a good take-away from the whole experience....I really learned to expand my menu options. I can make any style of meal, from raw vegan, sprouted breads, to BBQ feast! It's so fun and delicious! We eat vegetarian or even vegan meals, or grainless sometimes....depending on the weather, our mood, what we have on hand.
    Personally, I would never deny my family delicious grains, or any other type of food. I don't think that is healthy.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Umm your doctor is off his rocker. All carbs turn into glucose. And your body is supposed to produce insulin to metabolize it. I mean what the heck? Beans, potatoes, carrots, fruits....it doesn't matter, it all turns into glucose. Glucose fuels the body and brain.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I was going to say lettuce, but then I saw it was for your kids. Pb&j would be gross on lettuce. Give them bread. Buy the lite high fiber kind so they're getting fiber. I lost over 60 lbs eating veggie burgers on hamburger buns every day for lunch when I first started getting serious, and I know I'm not special.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    searching for recipe...
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to be truly hated for saying this.
    But I happen to like your health coach.
    He's balancing your diet according to your health matters
    rather than your calories.
    We wont die without bread. A burger can taste as good without
    bread or a bun. (I know you probably don't eat burgers).
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

No she won't die without bread. But if her kids like it why can't they eat it?
  • gary241069
    Options
    Just spotted the vegan bread. I'm stealing that recipe.
    I'm not a vegan, but that bread sounds amazing....
  • Lyndonbearsmommy
    Lyndonbearsmommy Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Try Wasa crisp bread. They're made with rye, fairly low in calories and carbs, and are great with peanut butter or whatever on them. Despite being a healthy choice, they're very crunchy, so kids should enjoy them too.

Is that in the regular bread aisle?
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options

It's not the no bread that's bothering me, it's him saying that your body will release insulin like its a bad thing that's not supposed to happen. If it's not supposed to, then how come I have to give myself shots of insulin, being diabetic and all?
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I buy Thomas Light Multi-grain english muffins. 100 cals, 8g of fiber, and 160mg of sodium. Delicious toasted :love:
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that research for this particular topic would be excellent. Not all certifications are created equal, some of them sadly are just bare minimum "you passed this multiple choice test, here's your certificate" type programs. Never trust someone else with your own well-being when you're fully capable of learning to look after yourself. Other people may be able to help you along the way but don't just take their every word as truth.

Like others have said, unless you or your kids have a specific gluten allergy bread and rice are not bad. But because of the whole glycemic index thing, it's always best to go with whole grain bread and brown rice. Read the ingredients on the label, they're not allowed to label and make sure the first ingredient is whole wheat flour not just wheat flour.

You said how can we trust it? Well how can we trust a lot of things nowadays? You can't live in fear of your groceries and live in paranoia. The other day I bought a drink that was labeled as naturally flavored and halfway through drinking it I realized it had sucralose in it. I poured out the rest and was mad at myself for not reading the label. Not with the company for marking it as naturally flavored. And that small amount of sucralose didn't hurt me at all, I learned from the experience and went on with my day.

That being said, I see the benefits of minimizing breads in the diet. I came from a family that always had to have toast or crackers with a meal even when the meal itself was rice or pasta based. Or we would crumble 3/4 a pack of saltines into a bowl of chilli. Excessive carbs are what's harmful not carbs in general.

So anyway, as another poster said lettuce wraps can be delicious. I love them myself. I even make chicken "burritos" with romaine lettuce leaves in place of the tortilla/wraps. For things like hummus or peanut butter you could try it on vegetables. One of my favorite things to do to keep calories and carbs down though is to use cauliflower. You can make cauliflower into a low carb pizza crust or into a low carb version of fried rice, etc etc. Plenty of recipes out there. You can use certain squash to replace pasta.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please do your own research before you deny your children of all delicious breaded things! Bread is not unhealthy.

Pretty please? :flowerforyou:
    But with all that I've read that isn't riddled with advertisements (that's frustrating :grumble: ) it is. It's one of the bad carbs, there are good carbs, but it's a bad one. Says the person who as a child I swear had a slice of bread with EVERY single meal.
    So how do you know?? And with that said too, how do you know it's not "labeled as wheat" but essentially white processed bread.

Trust me I LOVE me my bread!

Dd he give you confusing instructions about what "wheat" is?
    Wheat is made into bread. White bread, whole wheat bread --- is all wheat. And both have almost the same nutritional properties.
  • gary241069
    Options
    English Muffins. Mmmm. OMG I'm hungry now. How'd that happen!:grumble:
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am a mom and I feel that you seem to be developing and unhealthy relationship with food and dieting and therefore your children are made to go along. This is a slow process. I have cut back on a lot of things but I am slowly having my children come along for the ride by just changing small things like adding more water or cutting back on juice. Instead of two sandwiches on white bread maybe one sandwich on whole wheat bread and a serving of yogurt and fruit. They should not have to become obsessive about food because you are. They will eventually sneak and have those foods in school or on their own depending on their age. Change their relationship slowly don't cut them off and you should be doing the same!
  • sarahtsabo
    sarahtsabo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You're going to screw up your kids way more telling them bread/carbohydrates are bad. Trust me. Demonizing a food screws up a kid's relationship with that food. You're off your gourd if you think your kids will never go to an event outside of the home that has bread, tortilla, cake, etc.

Also- you'd just going to add it all back in at the trainer's discretion? Won't that REALLY mess up your kids? Mom says bread is bad but a week later she's eating whole wheat toast? Mom says brown rice is bad but in a month we get to eat it again?

Teaching healthy habits has to do with providing lots of healthy options (and some less healthy ones). Everything in moderation. Because we don't live in a bubble.

Otherwise, in 15 years you kids will be on MyFitnessPal in a tearful post about how their coworkers bring donuts to the office and they go through guilt binge cycles because their loving mother forbade whole grains, much less the occasional treat.

YES!!! Thanks for posting about the long lasting effects on your parents' choices FOR you. Yes, as adults we can make our own choices and blame ourselves for it. But as children, we need guidance and depend on our parents for that. You denying your children a specific thing will not only demonize it, but do you really think they're going to avoid it at all times? Even when they're not with you? Nope! As much as learning to eat/enjoy/whatever in moderation sucks, you need to do it for you and for your kids. When they see someone taking responsible steps to be healthy, they'll regard it as second nature.

Good luck and I hope your health coach has a refund policy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sprouted grains. Super healthy.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Umm your doctor is off his rocker. All carbs turn into glucose. And your body is supposed to produce insulin to metabolize it. I mean what the heck? Beans, potatoes, carrots, fruits....it doesn't matter, it all turns into glucose. Glucose fuels the body and brain.

Exactly right.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    i use low carb tortillas instead of bread. Not sure if it's kid firiendly though, has a ton of fiber.