How do stick to a meal plan as a working professional?

Options
Hi guys my name is Tim. I am a 28 Year old business professional in SF. Its very hard for me to plan my meals out and even harder to follow them with all my coworkers wanting to go out and eat regularly. Do you guys have any tips on meal planning and how it can be done and what difficulties you have had yourselves? Thanks so much

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Most SF restaurants have healthy options--Google the menu beforehand so you know what you'll order when you get there.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You do not have to have a regular lunch. Order an appetizer or a side dish.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Luckily where I work is kind of no man's land for going out unless there's a car. When we go out I just make healthy choices. When we stay in several of us eat together so we end up going places in walking distance and bringing back to eat at an outdoor area. i usually bring my lunch and meet them at the fountain but sometimes like yesterday I just go pick up something quick (yesterday was boston market) and then meet.

for after work, i keep the happy houring to at most once a week, usually friday. for after work stuff i ask myself is it worth skipping the gym for
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I prep my meals and take them with me. However, if I do eat out I always get a salad and what ever lean meat they have and plenty of veggies. I will also instruct them to only season it w/ garlic, pepper, and omit the salt. I retain water very easily.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I make meals that I can eat over the week. So for me, LOTS of food prep at least one a day a week. Being able to just grab a few containers I've put together and not have to think about it works for me.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have three suggestions that work together:

1. Eat the same thing for lunch every day you don't go out with co-workers. One less decision, a lot less work.
    2. When you go out eat get the healthy option (grilled fish or chicken and steamed veggies).
    3. When you go out to eat and you don't want to eat the healthy version, ask for them to put half your dish in a to-go box and plate the other half. Explain you are trying to slim your gut. Eat the other half for dinner or next day's lunch.

Easy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I make good nutritional decisions...
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Most SF restaurants have healthy options--Google the menu beforehand so you know what you'll order when you get there.

This. SF has healthy options at just about every restaurant (well, maybe not In-N-Out). Try to decide on where you are going an hour or two before lunch. Check out the menu and have a game plan when you leave. It takes away the stress of feeling like everyone is watching and waiting while you are at the restaurant trying to decide.
  • DanielCathers
    DanielCathers Posts: 53 Member
    Options

This. SF has healthy options at just about every restaurant (well, maybe not In-N-Out). Try to decide on where you are going an hour or two before lunch. Check out the menu and have a game plan when you leave. It takes away the stress of feeling like everyone is watching and waiting while you are at the restaurant trying to decide.

Double double protein and animal style
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Double double protein and animal style

This makes me giggle. There is only one In-N- Out in San Francisco and you aren't going to be traveling to it for lunch unless you work in that tourist ridden area. :P

I concur with the others. Look at the menu where you go and make a healthy choice. Frankly I find it harder to get junk food there than healthy food. What I would do for a steak, but noooooo. Just fish and tofu every way you turn. My dislike for those items keeps me out of SF almost as often and the dread of the urine smell. Such a visually beautiful town though I just can't keep away.

edited for spelling correction
  • alpinehealth
    alpinehealth Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Prep all your meals on Sunday and carry a chiller bag!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Make choices in line with your goals, and practice portion control. It's definitely a new skill that takes practice to learn well, but it is not a hard skill to master (or at least become competent). Stick with it; eating out is - or should be - a joy! Don't let obsessive concern obscure the social and cultural aspects of dining out with friends and co-workers.
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Try to prep all of your meals for the week on one of your days off. Get one of those six pack bags or just a large lunch bag and bring all your meals with you when you are out.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Make choices in line with your goals, and practice portion control. It's definitely a new skill that takes practice to learn well, but it is not a hard skill to master (or at least become competent). Stick with it; eating out is - or should be - a joy! Don't let obsessive concern obscure the social and cultural aspects of dining out with friends and co-workers.

^^this - very well put! The more I log the better I get at it. Also When I go out and I know I am going to an applebees or a Chilis. I just check out the menu beforehand, know what I am going to order and there is no drama. Then I can concentrate on enjoying the meal with coworkers and clients.