Foods that are healthy and have many calories.

Options
No vegetables, though.
It seems no matter what I do, I can't get more calories in my body without my stomach hurting from filling too much. I want to stick to the small portions I've done for the past 7 years now... But in a way where I'm wearing something balanced with more calories.
I cook on the stove 3 out of 7 days a week, and the meal would have to be good for a child as well. Nothing too spicy/hot/peppered/etc.

Replies

• sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    have you ever thought about taking protein shakes?
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Good oils - olive or canola, for example. Nuts, seeds, peanut butter and other nut butters. Beans and whole grains.
  • prosaiche
    prosaiche Posts: 29
    Options
    have you ever thought about taking protein shakes?
    They cost too much. Whatever I buy I need to be able to give to my 5 year old as well. We don't have that extra money to spend on special foods.
  • prosaiche
    Options
    Good oils - olive or canola, for example. Nuts, seeds, peanut butter and other nut butters. Beans and whole grains.
    Seeds, almonds, and peanut butter are normal.. But I don't snack on seeds too much. Almonds are every so often mixed in with pancakes. Maybe increase the amount of almonds in the pancakes?

Sadly, my son won't eat whole grain bread or noodles. Neither him or my husband are too find of it, so I only eat whole grain bread time to time when at my mothers. (It costs the same as regular white bread, right?)
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

^^ This, and up your proteins, maybe? Maybe use crushed nuts as a coating on chicken or fish?

Sorry I'm not more help. This "no vegetables" requirement is killing me because I shred up veggies and mix 'em into EVERYTHING.
  • prosaiche
    Options

^^ This, and up your proteins, maybe? Maybe use crushed nuts as a coating on chicken or fish?

Sorry I'm not more help. This "no vegetables" requirement is killing me because I shred up veggies and mix 'em into EVERYTHING.
    I cook chicken often, but can't use seasoning since my son won't eat it. (How I cook, everything is seasoned together or not at all.) No no it's fine. We're more of a meat household, and none of us eat a lot of veges besides corn, potatoes, and celery. Since we have money limits, I can't spend stuff on veges since they are costly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    nuts, avocado, cook with oils and butter, etc...basically eat more fat...it is an essential nutrient, not something to be avoided at all costs. I would add fattier cuts of meat, poultry, and fatty fish like salmon. Again, fat isn't the devil and you need a certain amount of it for proper nutrition. Most people go way overboard trying to cut the fat because they are under the impression that fat makes you fat and/or is unhealthy...again...it is essential.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Do you keep snacks around (boxes of crackers, chips, other snacks)?

I find, feeding a young family, that those types of snacks prevent my little ones from having an appetite for the real meal I fix, including the veggies. So I don't buy fruit juices (our beverage is water), or snacks. Our snacks are like mini-meals, or maybe fruit. I usually have meats roasted and ready to go for any use, which makes putting meals together 100% easier!

Also, do you have a meal that you sit down and eat together?

It's often lots of clumsiness and noise, but my husband reads a story during dinner, or we talk about things. We do a lot of correcting of table manners lol, but this is a time to eat and not solve family probs or air grievances. So the children I think learn to eat better from doing this.
    So like tonight I reheated some roasted chicken and herb/cheese potato fries. Each person snapped off a whole romaine leaf, drizzled some dressing on the leaf, dusted it with a little parmesan, then used it to stuff their dinner in it while they ate. The children thought it was fun!
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of mini meals, tinned tuna on low sugar, high grain crackers, I know you said no protein shakes but I currently don't work and they end up being cheaper than buying whole foods. But yeah oils, tofu, tuna, adding it as a sandwich ups the calories (high grain has lots of protein) helps, nuts are really high in calories, eggs.
  • prosaiche
    Options
    nuts, avocado, cook with oils and butter, etc...basically eat more fat...it is an essential nutrient, not something to be avoided at all costs. I would add fattier cuts of meat, poultry, and fatty fish like salmon. Again, fat isn't the devil and you need a certain amount of it for proper nutrition. Most people go way overboard trying to cut the fat because they are under the impression that fat makes you fat and/or is unhealthy...again...it is essential.
    I have never tried salmon! Never learned to cook fresh fish properly, so this would be something fun for all of us.
    I don't really cut fat? I just eat what I like in decent amounts without it being strict junk food.
    By fattier cuts.. though? I'm not sure what you mean by that? Like the actually white pieces on steak? If so, I can't. I get sick if that is in my mouth. lol

But I can try salmon. Might have to see if they have it on the farmers market since it's not cheap.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I have never tried salmon! Never learned to cook fresh fish properly, so this would be something fun for all of us.
    I don't really cut fat? I just eat what I like in decent amounts without it being strict junk food.
    By fattier cuts.. though? I'm not sure what you mean by that? Like the actually white pieces on steak? If so, I can't. I get sick if that is in my mouth. lol

But I can try salmon. Might have to see if they have it on the farmers market since it's not cheap.

If you can afford salmon, you can afford protein shakes. Just saying love. But I would have both.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    coconut oil, butter, cashew butter
  • prosaiche
    Options

I find, feeding a young family, that those types of snacks prevent my little ones from having an appetite for the real meal I fix, including the veggies. So I don't buy fruit juices (our beverage is water), or snacks. Our snacks are like mini-meals, or maybe fruit. I usually have meats roasted and ready to go for any use, which makes putting meals together 100% easier!

It's often lots of clumsiness and noise, but my husband reads a story during dinner, or we talk about things. We do a lot of correcting of table manners lol, but this is a time to eat and not solve family probs or air grievances. So the children I think learn to eat better from doing this.
    So like tonight I reheated some roasted chicken and herb/cheese potato fries. Each person snapped off a whole romaine leaf, drizzled some dressing on the leaf, dusted it with a little parmesan, then used it to stuff their dinner in it while they ate. The children thought it was fun!
    Most snacks are the fruits. Bananas, yogurt, saltine crackers, and peanut butter on a spoon are the usual. I don't do snacks, though, because I only eat when hungry. The idea of eating when not hungry is just strange to me. My husband boredom eats, and that turns me away from eating when not hungry even more.

My son and I eat breakfast and lunch together. All 3 of us have dinner together. (My husband works midnights, so he sleeps through breakfast and lunch.) My son helps me cook, and we have everything on the table when eating. I'm not much of a person who believes in eating in front of a tv or on the couch. I love the family time. It's just us three, so there isn't much noise. Our little guy just eats and then gets up to go back to playing while my husband and I converse afterwards.

The most 'creative' stuff we do is with home made pizza or experiment with flour/dough mix with home made cookies. I don't usually eat either since my son is the one with the ingredients. Lol
  • prosaiche
    Options

If you can afford salmon, you can afford protein shakes. Just saying love. But I would have both.
    That's why I mentioned going to the farmers market and seeing if they have it. If they don't, I won't be buying salmon... That and you can't give a protein shake to a 5 year old.. I believe?
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I don't have any children. But growing up, you either ate what was cooked, or you didn't eat anything.

Maybe your boys need a little "tough love" for the sake of their nutrition.
  • prosaiche
    Options
    I second the idea of mini meals, tinned tuna on low sugar, high grain crackers, I know you said no protein shakes but I currently don't work and they end up being cheaper than buying whole foods. But yeah oils, tofu, tuna, adding it as a sandwich ups the calories (high grain has lots of protein) helps, nuts are really high in calories, eggs.
    We usually switch up Tuna and eggs time to time. Crustaceans are something I see more of than actual fish. I'll try to work more tuna in. Usually I dont get it because I'll drain it dry. The juices taste..
    Fishy.
    (I had to. lol)

Peanut butter, eggs, and milk are things we go through a LOT in the house. We drink whole milk as well.
  • prosaiche
    Options
    I don't have any children. But growing up, you either ate what was cooked, or you didn't eat anything.

His nutrition is fine. Perfect health for a kid his age.
    But just as my mother did to her 4 kids, and my grandmother did to her 11- no kid goes to bed hungry.

But this is more about what I can make as a family that will still help me out at the same time- not forcing everyone to follow what I eat. That's just rude. Lol
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options

But just as my mother did to her 4 kids, and my grandmother did to her 11- no kid goes to bed hungry.

But this is more about what I can make as a family that will still help me out at the same time- not forcing everyone to follow what I eat. That's just rude. Lol

How can someone's nutrition be "fine" without vegetables? And you're not "forcing" him if you're his parents. You're just doing your job.
  • prosaiche
    Options

How can someone's nutrition be "fine" without vegetables? And you're not "forcing" him if you're his parents. You're just doing your job.
    I never said we didn't eat them?
    Forcing is pushing to do something against another's will. I was 'force fed' green beans, and to this day I throw up in my mouth at the smell. I've experienced being forced on certain foods, and I won't do that to my family. Doing my job is making sure he's eating good, being active, and being an intelligent, respectful kid. I'm doing that more than well. I can assure you.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

Most snacks are the fruits. Bananas, yogurt, saltine crackers, and peanut butter on a spoon are the usual. I don't do snacks, though, because I only eat when hungry. The idea of eating when not hungry is just strange to me. My husband boredom eats, and that turns me away from eating when not hungry even more.

My son and I eat breakfast and lunch together. All 3 of us have dinner together. (My husband works midnights, so he sleeps through breakfast and lunch.) My son helps me cook, and we have everything on the table when eating. I'm not much of a person who believes in eating in front of a tv or on the couch. I love the family time. It's just us three, so there isn't much noise. Our little guy just eats and then gets up to go back to playing while my husband and I converse afterwards.

The most 'creative' stuff we do is with home made pizza or experiment with flour/dough mix with home made cookies. I don't usually eat either since my son is the one with the ingredients. Lol
    It's really great that you have that awesome habit...eating when hungry instead of when bored/etc!! I'm sure your son is learning from your example! Definitely, making meals for a family is an art form! For me, having meats already roasted and ready (either in the fridge or freezer) is a must, because they can be used in so many different ways, and for any meal including breakfast! I also usually make a big salad that stores well for a few days...it ends up getting eaten for all three meals, even by my children...I think because they watch us do it, and ends up sounding good to them. I have cottage cheese and yogurt on hand. Canned tuna makes a quick tuna melt, or a dip with veggies and crackers. Hors d'oeuvres can make a fun fun meal and you can really get creative out-of-the box with these--totally fun!