Easy Steamed Meatloaf (trust me, it's yummy)

CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I don't like baked meatloaf. It's heavy, dry, and icky in my opinion. Of course, I grew up eating steamed meatloaf, which most people have never even heard of, and didn't even try the baked kind until I was a teenager. I am posting the standard steamed meatloaf recipe as well as the changes I made to make it healthier.

Serves 4

1 pound ground beef (the most lean you can find - 93/7)
1 egg (I used 1/4 cup egg white)
1/4 to 1/2 cup instant white rice, dry (I had leftover couscous, so I used 1/2 cup cooked couscous, which is healthier)
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes (or fresh diced onion, but I didn't have any on hand)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons lime juice (instead of salt, although you can add salt if you really want)

Mix it all together, form it into a "loaf" and place in steamer (rice cooker or stovetop steamer, the same kind you use to steam broccoli). Cover and cook on medium low heat for around 45 minutes or until cooked.

Slice and serve.

My family likes to eat it with a little ketchup, but the actual meatloaf is so low in sodium that the added salt from the ketchup shouldn't throw your sodium intake too far off.

Replies

• aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Cool, thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • jhandley
    jhandley Posts: 118
    My baked meatloaf is never dry....but I also use my mommy's recipe which contains odd ingredients! I'll post mine to share as well:

I did switch mine to 1/2 ground turkey 1/2 ground beef to smooth the transition for my family

so pound of each meat
    1/2 cup of sugar free grape jelly
    1/2 cup of light catalina dressing
    1/2 cup of cracker crumbs (i used whatever i had left in the house which was some Kashi asiago cheese crackers and some townhouse crackers)
    ground pepper to taste
    1 egg
    blended in my kitchenaid mixer
    put into loaf pan
    baked on 400 until done
  • sounds good...especially the lime. i felt the same about baked meatloaf, and my friend gave me a recipe for her family meatballs, instead of breadcrumbs they would take a whole italian loaf soak it in water, then squeeze the water out and add it into the recipe. i actually tried that with my meatloaf, but instead of a whole loaf of italian bread i used 4 slices of whole wheat soaked it in water and added it to my meatloaf recipe along with some ketchup, it actually makes the meatloaf very juicy. almost melts in your mouth... but still firm enough...
  • My baked meatloaf is never dry....but I also use my mommy's recipe which contains odd ingredients! I'll post mine to share as well:

I did switch mine to 1/2 ground turkey 1/2 ground beef to smooth the transition for my family

so pound of each meat
    1/2 cup of sugar free grape jelly
    1/2 cup of light catalina dressing
    1/2 cup of cracker crumbs (i used whatever i had left in the house which was some Kashi asiago cheese crackers and some townhouse crackers)
    ground pepper to taste
    1 egg
    blended in my kitchenaid mixer
    put into loaf pan
    baked on 400 until done

Wow grape jelly... very interesting
  • jhandley
    Yea i know she's always used it - well she dont use sugar fee but she uses it in her meatballs too - i think its possibly for the reason to "hold" it together was the original use for it. but my girls fight over the last slice!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Thanks I will have to try the steamed meatloaf some day for my family. My meatloaf is never dry when I bake it but sometimes something different is nice.
  • ItsMandeeBitch
    ItsMandeeBitch Posts: 159 Member
    Question Jojo is it a pound of each meat or a pound total?
  • jhandley
    Mandee remember I'm feeding 6 typically! LOL - so use how much ever meat you feel you need to use - and adjust accordingly but yes i used a 1lb package of each!
This discussion has been closed.